• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz on FT Shooting

the difference is that we are getting really good shots off the set pieces...making them, well that is another matter.

That's right. Blame the players. Ignore that fact that they are players recruited by Buzz, coached by Buzz, and running the plays that Buzz trained them to run. So of course it's all on the players, Buzz had nothing to do with it. :rulz:

If the fans just loved Bz more, the players would hit their FTs. Got it.

My opinion is actually pretty close to that. If the players had more confidence in themselves and their coach they would hit more free throws. FT shooting is two things: 1. skill 2. confidence. Skill can certainly be increased through proper coaching, but the biggest short term impact a coach can have is inspiring confidence in his player. Bz's comments accomplish exactly the opposite of that. 'Ask them, we practice it' is going to go over like a lump of coal in the player's dorm rooms when they read that. Bz hasn't won enough to be an enforcer coach. If you win like Bobby Knight you can be a jerk and it can work. If you suck they just tune you out.

Bz teams have been fine at FTs historically. I doubt there is some macro level issue in his coaching that is causing the bad FT shooting.

That said, out of line comment.

Bz teams have been fine at FTs historically. I doubt there is some macro level issue in his coaching that is causing the bad FT shooting.

That said, out of line comment.

Bz knew he was recruiting bad free throw shooters when he signed these guys up. He shouldn't throw them under the bus when he knew what he was getting in the first place.

Bz knew he was recruiting bad free throw shooters when he signed these guys up. He shouldn't throw them under the bus when he knew what he was getting in the first place.

I can agree with that. Also note that even after today's shitshow our starters are 70% (166 for 238) from the line for the year.

It's the 5 bench players, who are non-coincidentally AIDS on all things offensive efficiency, that are now 46.5% (46 for 99)

I wonder how that compares to starters for most teams.

As Mebane and Wrangor have pointed out a great deal of good freethrow shooting is mental. And as just about everybody has pointed out Buzz stinks at the psychological aspects of the game and life. He can't inspire; he can't motivate; he can't build confidence.

Now, please tell us one more time that poor freethrow shooting is all on the players.

During his presser, he said that going to the free throw line yesterday was like a turnover for us. He is a dick, but I had to laugh at the truth in that statement.

After UNC had a terrible game shooting FTs, Roy had them in the gym at 5:00 am and everyone had to shoot a min. of 200 and hit 70 % to get out. Do that a few times and we'd get better FT shooting

The team was already on break -- mentally. Listening to Miller Mac makes me realize this is a nothing game. Beat this team by 40 and the same assholes out here strike up the band. It goes down as a W. The team played to the competition. The same thing happens across the board in college hoops.

Nothing to Win here except a W in the column and move on.

After UNC had a terrible game shooting FTs, Roy had them in the gym at 5:00 am and everyone had to shoot a min. of 200 and hit 70 % to get out. Do that a few times and we'd get better FT shooting

Was that before or after they went to Roy 's Rent a Shack to smoke hash oil with Will Graves.

Shit has a calming effect.

The team was already on break -- mentally. Listening to Miller Mac makes me realize this is a nothing game. Beat this team by 40 and the same assholes out here strike up the band. It goes down as a W. The team played to the competition. The same thing happens across the board in college hoops.

Nothing to Win here except a W in the column and move on.

Excuses, excuses. When will we be a team again that takes care of business without the need for excuses?

All right. Time to get off of Buzz's back. Let's give him credit where credit is due. HE HAS NOT LOST ONE SINGLE GAME ON THE ROAD THIS YEAR!

But let's be honest, before this year there was no chance of having a winning record...none, no matter who coached them.

This is false. And this is also the type of reasoning that deserves to be shot down. Bzzinners consistently make unprovable assertions and then hold them up as counter arguments to an overwhelming and still growing body of evidence that buzz was a horrible hire and is a horrible coach.

As I've stated on other threads I'm not even convinced that 2010-2011 would have been a losing season had Dino been the coach. Based on what we had that year it felt like it should have been a 15-16 win team.

And if Dino had been coach my gut is that at least 2 or 3 of Tony W. Tony C. Ari, JTT, Melvin, Carson would have stuck around. The 2011 recruiting class certainly would have been considerably better, the 2012 class would likely have been comparable but better balanced.

We would have had better talent and a better coach and depending on how the recruiting went it's feasible that we could be looking at our second straight NCAA tourney bid with an experienced senior class right now.

Back