• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BuzzOut ad: OG&B, Darren Rovell RT, Yahoo, WXII, NYT, USA Today, CBS Sports

Great job, Hillary. The decision took guts, and I believe it was the right one. The censorship needs to end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now on AOL h

Ha. I feel like website editors are having a ball when they image-search "[Redacted]" to fit their articles.

6bWG0xc.png

Last edited:
Ha. I feel like website editor are having a ball when they image-search "[Redacted]" to fit their articles.

6bWG0xc.png

Looks like he's saying "wwwhhhhaaaatttt" in a scooby doo voice.

"Irate fans of a once proud basketball program". Fuck u Wellman!

Well, Katz responded. He basically says that Wellman's made a lot of mistakes and that he's gotta go if Bz does, but I don't think Katz is going to touch this with a 10 foot pole. Says it'll take care of itself if Bz keeps losing.

Given his friendship with Dino (I certainly didn't go into my opinion on Dino as he thought getting rid of Dino was wrong) I know he probably can't comment. I suggested it would be a good story for ESPN, so hopefully he passes it along.

Yep, Tony's email is no good, it wound up in spam.

The objective is to get the story on the mothership, Andy is just a way to get it there.

I'm impressed that he is so responsive.

Interesting that one of the sidebar stories there on AOL is "some of these jobs pay more, or less, than you think." Many outside our circle would be surprised at how much you could get paid per conference road win as an NCAA coach.

Andy Katz has always been Wakes best friend at espn

$8,000 for an ad in a shitty local newspaper? Come on WSJ (the lesser one), that's absurd.

8k was for one page color. They viewed it as a political ad. Plus, I think they wanted to discourage us because of the business Wake does with them. The News and Record was $2500 for the same ad.

I will give the chick at the Journal credit. She called me the next day after the Florida State loss to see of I was ready to place the ad. She ain't no dummy.

Wow, so Buzz has taught the boys that a battle for last place in the ACC is a "big one".

Facepalm
Chew on this: My WF junior year son has not known the excitement of an NCAA Tourney bid yet his best friend at freaking Belmont College will have had three bids in a row!

Don't know if this had been posted yet:

http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=29914

"I would just like to take a moment to address the “FireBz.com” advertisement that ran in this week’s Old Gold & Black.
A fan paid money to have this advertisement in the Old Gold & Black and since then, it has caught national attention in USA Today, The New York Times, the Winston-Salem Journal, Yahoo! Sports, etc. As a newspaper, we are the voice of the community. There is a strong sentiment among students, fans and alumni that change is necessary in the athletic department.
Despite my personal views, my role as editor of the school’s newspaper is not to silence voices I disagree with, but to publish all opinions (as long as they are not obscene). It was an editorial decision to run this advertisement—but what other choice did we have? To choose which advertisements will run in our newspaper sets a dangerous precedent.
We pride ourselves on being an objective, fair and accurate source of news. If we did not run an advertisement just because we did not agree with its message, we would lose credibility as a newspaper. The advertisement does not express the opinions of the editorial staff, or of the student body. It is simply a personal opinion, which someone paid to display in the Old Gold & Black. If you have an opinion on this matter, please submit a letter to the editor by email.

Thank you,
Hilary Burns
Editor-in-chief, Burnhs0@wfu.edu"

I'm kinda surprised that there are so few comments following this editorial note. Seems like the EIC should know that she enjoys widespread support for her decision to protect the First Amendment.

- fine with the editor's response. Irrelevant whether she is a supporter or not. She did what good editors do, applied the papers standards for an ad and when it passed allowed it to run.

- the irony for the WSJ is got to be classic. We'll run your ad for $8000, unless it gets published for $260 and becomes a national story then we'll print it for free. :)

- players, the big games this year were @GT, @BC and @FSU you had big wins before those and could have proven you've turned the corner for bzz, instead you pooped the bed. VT is not a big game, it's a meaningless game.

- Rusty - I hope you are not the shooting coach, what was it 32% at home against MD on CP3 day and CJ's senior day? Besides that the reason Rusty is getting all the twitter crap is that he made the comment that this was all coming from people standing behind internet screen names. Plenty of people have been putting their names out there. He needs to do a little more research before sounding like an idiot.

Yeah just to address the Rusty stuff, it's not like people targeted him personally. He made that twitter statement to pull himself into the discussion. I have no problem with people responding in kind to his comment.

I think this was a VERY mature decision and I think this quote rings quite true: "To choose which advertisements will run in our newspaper sets a dangerous precedent."

Kudos to Hilary and the rest of the editorial staff.

Meh, i guess. Part of the editorial function is to marshall conversation in your publication. That implies a certain amount of editorial discretion, so i think Hillary is wrong to act like theyd just run anything.

That said, the conversation surrounding BuzzOut is totally legitimate and deserves a voice. Thats why Hillary ran it. Not because shes wprried about precedent. If some white supremacists approached her for ad space, she would rightly turn them down.

Back