• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BZ will surprise us this season

Year 5 will be apathy. You can only rage for so long.. If [Redacted] gets extended beyond this year then I am gone.

What ya' mean apathy in year 5!!! APATHY began the moment that SOB landed on LOWF's Doorstop...

"outliers of success to undermine reasonable expectations"

Those who accept failure for long enough eventually see failure as the norm and success as outliers.

"outliers of success to undermine reasonable expectations"

Those who accept failure for long enough eventually see failure as the norm and success as outliers.

I don't quite understand how that quote is supposed to be in support of being optimistic. Only way you can be optimistic about this team and about [Redacted] is if you cling onto those "outliers of success". E.g. the Miami, NCSU, and Virginia games. If you look at it in totality then even a winning season is optimistic.

Very good point.

It clashes with the long standing belief on these boards that the pessimistic fans are the ones who think Wake can win consistently with the right leadership and the optimists are the ones who enjoy mediocrity and hope for better.

Last portion of the season involved much tougher competition. The quality of play improved. We actually ran a recognizable half-court offense, which we had not done in years. The largest disappointment to me was the Maryland game at home. That was utterly inexcusable and had to be blamed on the staff.

What may be ever more disturbing is that there will be "normal" people who will be neither shocked nor disturbed by this.

Now it is fine to hope we greatly exceed those expectations, but don't confuse that with what we should reasonably expect to do on paper. On paper, we should be a bad basketball team again next year.
Who in the hell is saying we should reasonably expect to be awesome next year? Seriously. Some people on here, myself included, believe we have the potential to exceed the standard expectations and for good reasons. Why pretend that's "expecting awesomeness"?

I love posts where someone vehemently disagrees with how they are being characterized while affirming said characterization.

pour, what are these "good reasons" you speak of?

Yes, as usual, the world according to pourdeac tis a silly place.

Again, if there were a bunch of good reasons on paper that we would be better than a bottom feeder, then we would be ranked higher than a bottom feeder.
Really, State probably has more sleeper potential for teams ranked around us than we do since they are bringing in a 5 star PG and 2 4 star post players.

Last edited:
Ph, you really don't see a huge amount of distance between the standard expectations for our team and "awesomeness"?

I don't know what you're talking about. Where did "awesomeness" come into play?

The standard expectations for Wake basketball pre-Bz was to make the NCAA Tournament. I'm not sure what you're talking about beyond that.

In year 3 of the Bzz era we only had one ACC caliber player that he recruited. Of course the jury is still out on a few others in year 4, but damn that's bad.

I thought you were referring to the specific posts where pour seemed to be clarifying that he simply expected to exceed the standard expectation but not awesomeness. If that was the case, you seem to be equating the 2. Not sure where he got awesomeness, but assume if was from Chris comment on greatly exceeding expectations.

Back