• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BZ will surprise us this season

And that's fine. And you might be surprised, but I'm right there with you on most things usually -- I thought we were gonna be surprisingly good in football myself before the season.

But just because you have that mindset doesn't mean we're gonna be good, and doesn't lead to much of a rational explanation for why we're gonna be good. I feel like a rational argument at least could've been made with football, but with basketball I fail to see where that possibly could come from

Believe me, I understand. My expectation is that freshmen normally improve substantially going into their 2nd year. It is highly unusual that a team would have as many freshmen as we had last season. Unlike most, apparently, I think a number of them showed promise. However, their inexperience against top level competition was obvious. I am hoping that the experience of last season coupled with intense off-season work will pay dividends this year. Plus, adding Williams was a huge plus. He won't replace CJ; but he will help fill a major void. My greatest concern is the pivot position. Devin is better than advertised but this is not his position.

I find that a good analogy for something as serious as sports is the intensive care unit.

Which explains a lot.

Pssssstttt! Look!

Well, I would rather be wrong while hoping for the best than to be right while hoping for the worst. It must be a miserable way to experience sports: hoping your favorite team fails! What's the point. It sounds like going to sit in an intensive care waiting room for entertainment.

Everybody is hoping for the best. Hoping for your favorite team to win doesn't make you a better fan than everybody else that is hoping for your favorite team to win.

I hope I win the lottery. It makes me delusional to think I will win it when the odds are clearly against it.

Everybody is hoping for the best. Hoping for your favorite team to win doesn't make you a better fan than everybody else that is hoping for your favorite team to win.

I hope I win the lottery. It makes me delusional to think I will win it when the odds are clearly against it.

That's funny. But hoping your team wins makes you a better fan than those who hope their team loses!

What's with the superiority deal? Who is talking about being superior? I just think that being positive makes you a happier fan than being negative. That's all.

Mebane, you know that I agree with you about almost nothing outside the area of sports, but I agree with what you are saying about the basketball situation now.....and I applaud you for having the courage to say it. I knew...and I'm sure that you knew...that you would get pummeled mercilessly for having the audacity to say anything positive here. The problem is that almost all of the posters on this board are now so totally emotionally & financially invested in WF's failure that the only way their egos can be soothed is by the failure of the team & the program....and it has been something that has continually fed upon itself, like a cancer.

In a way, it has some resemblance to the political situation in the country, where some groups have painted themselves into such a corner that they have left themselves no way out. Many posters on this board have said so much for so long now that they cannot even pull for the team to do well, because if the team began to play better and win games, that would mean that they were wrong and....sadly....they consider being wrong a worse fate than seeing the team lose. (Some may protest that this is not so, but their words and actions belie such protestations. At least posters like pinochadeac are being totally honest when he says that he hopes the team "will lose every game by as many points as possible.")

Personally, I've lost all interest in the game of basketball as a sport....but it had nothing to do with [Redacted] or WF's lack of success on the court. I have given my reasons for this loss of interest many times on these boards. Still, I hope you are right...and I also think that this time could do better than many expect, which would greatly disappoint many people on this board.

Fuck you old man river.

I hate Jeff [Redacted] and everything that he has touched. I want him to lose every game in the most humiliating way possible. I coped with year 2 by betting against Wake and making a lot of money. Year 3, I just openly rooted against us. Now it's year 4 and I don't expect anything different.

Fuck [Redacted], fuck his human shield coaching staff, and fuck any player stupid enough to commit to [Redacted]. I feel so bad for Travis. He should be playing in the tournament for Shaka this year.

Year 5 will be apathy. You can only rage for so long.. If [Redacted] gets extended beyond this year then I am gone.

Last edited:
Buzz will do the absolute bare minimum to keep his job for next year. We're cursed

Exactly what is that bare minimum if Wellman is making that decision? Our OOC schedule outside of the Bahamas is full of cupcakes, and ACC teams like VT, GT, Clemson, BC, Miami and maybe State (who pretty much lost their whole line-up) have arguably less talent than we do. We can sleepwalk our way to 12-15 wins with continued uninspired ball and bad D, and Wellman will still applaud the improvement and great recruiting class coming in the following year.

hope_is_not_a_method_by_moisture-d4ihyk7.jpg

What's with the superiority deal? Who is talking about being superior? I just think that being positive makes you a happier fan than being negative. That's all.
It's pretty obvious Hoping for a coach change means you're a WAY smarter and therefore better fan than someone "hoping" this team does well by being rational, which Ph just compared to hoping to win the lottery and delusional.

That's the new "Wake Forest guy". Personally hate the head coach, ridicule the players for choosing him as well as their abilities, deride the former player assistant coaches as dupes for being human shields, use outliers of success to undermine reasonable expectations, and attack posters who say anything positive = superior fan (and the only way to get there BTW). Makes me Proud to be a Deac!

Reasonable expectations say that this team finishes between 11th and 14th in the ACC. That is pretty much where every unbiased source has predicted us.

Now it is fine to hope we greatly exceed those expectations, but don't confuse that with what we should reasonably expect to do on paper. On paper, we should be a bad basketball team again next year.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious Hoping for a coach change means you're a WAY smarter and therefore better fan than someone "hoping" this team does well by being rational, which Ph just compared to hoping to win the lottery and delusional.

That's the new "Wake Forest guy". Personally hate the head coach, ridicule the players for choosing him as well as their abilities, deride the former player assistant coaches as dupes for being human shields, use outliers of success to undermine reasonable expectations, and attack posters who say anything positive = superior fan (and the only way to get there BTW). Makes me Proud to be a Deac!

It's going to be a long fall from that high horse.

Look, I think CMM will be good. He was not good last year. The numbers don't lie. He showed promise in a few games, but just a few. He's also coached by a staff that is not very proven at developing players or installing cohesive, functional schemes.

And, yeah, the people who actually think we have a chance at winning 19-20 games are a problem. Why? Because next year, when we fail to get that mark, they will think that we can get 22-23. They will never push for change because they are delusional. It isn't rational to think that we will do well next year. [Redacted] has a six year record of not doing well, including a one year record with a less talented (albeit less experienced) version of this same team. He won 13 games with it. Why is he going to win 6-7 more? Natural improvement? Not going to do it, not when most of the ACC teams we lost to should retain just as much as experience as we did, not to mention the addition of 3 teams that should be quite good to our schedule / conference.

I can see myself pushing hard for change by New Years; but for now I will hope for vast improvement...and not entirely without basis. If fact, I think 19 or 20 wins might be required to sustain Bz's job.

Of course, 3 or 4 close OT losses to good teams might mitigate that number. The production will have to be substantially higher in terms of "Ws" this season.

Last five games of last season:

13 point loss to Florida State (a team that we beat handedly earlier in the season)
10 point loss to Maryland (a game that should have been the highlight of season as far as energy / passion, yet the team came out lame / passive / unenergetic)
15 point loss to NCSU (a team we beat earlier in the season)
11 point win to VT (a team that basically consisted of one player)
13 point loss to Maryland (a team that we led by 5 at half time, but [Redacted] let a 6 to 18 run transpire before bothering to call a timeout)

And it's rational to be hopeful?

Last edited:
Back