• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BZZ Out Rumor

Perhaps... though I feel that there has been so much negative fan reaction since Year 1 that Wellman has and will always block that out.

Much louder now. Besides it has become a national story. That is something very difficult to ignore.

I was told earlier in the season by someone who has never led me wrong in the past that if the team didn't finish the season well then we would likely see a change. Guess that will now be put to the test since we lost 11 out of our last 14 games. I just want to give a shit again. Tonight I watched NHL hockey instead of Wake hoops. I simply do not care at all as long as Bzz is our coach.

One of many things I don't get is why Wellman thinks he needs Buzz so we can do it "the right way". Buzz emphasized that quote at the end of the tough question tonight as if doing things the right way was rare in the college bball world. There are a ton of coaches out there, coaches who are better than Buzz, who do it "the right way".

One of many things I don't get is why Wellman thinks he needs Buzz so we can do it "the right way". Buzz emphasized that quote at the end of the tough question tonight as if doing things the right way was rare in the college bball world. There are a ton of coaches out there, coaches who are better than Buzz, who do it "the right way".

But they COMPROMISE THEIR VALUES.

Much louder now. Besides it has become a national story. That is something very difficult to ignore.

For most people, 99% of the fanbase going batshit crazy would certainly be tough to ignore. Wellman has an innate ability to drown out the noise and give those fans a giant middle finger.

I just cannot see it happening this way. First, Hatch does not have the gonads. Second, the BOT will do whatever Hatch wants them to do when it comes to personnel and won't force anybody to be fired. Third, firing the coach over Wellman's objection is tantamount to firing Wellman, which ain't gonna happen. Fourth, if it happens this way, does Hatch let Wellman, the AD he just humiliated in public, hire the new coach? If not, then you are back to #3.

Wellman -- the Million Dollar AD -- has to be fired first. Bzz is just a symptom, not the disease. And I just don't see that happening, given the current self-satisfied leadership of the university.

I can see it happening with the only change being that the BOT tells Wellman and gives him the opportunity to do it himself. Hatch doesn't have balls and the BOT listens to him, but they both will be damned if they let their school get ridiculed and have this much negative publicity. I think by forcing Wellman to fire Buzz or resign himself, the BOT is putting Wellman back in his place and deflating his ego. If you watch Suits, think of the last episode where Jessica made Harvey her bitch again and put him in his place. I think if Buzz is gone and Wellman stays, it is solely because of any and all goodwill Wellman had built up to this point. I think he used his grace card and now the BOT will let him start from scratch, lead a new head coach search with a committee (like it should be done), and pick his guy. The difference is that his choice will be approved and to keep his job, Wellman knows he has to hit a home run which should motivate him to get someone good.

But if I'm wrong then it's just another year pretending there has been a college basketball lockout ever since Ish hit that shot against Texas.

+1

Exactly who I was thinking of. And Bz is definitely worse than Bob Wade for a few reasons.

1) Wade had no college experience
2) Maryland had legitimate program issues after Len Bias' death
3) He recruited Brian Williams (transferred and changed his name to Bison Dele), Jerrod Mustaf, and Walt Williams, all NBA draft picks
4) Wade led Maryland to the NCAA Tournament in his 2nd year
5) Wade's record at Maryland was 36-50 compared to [Redacted]'s 34-60.

Wade also left Maryland on probation. That's not happening here.

I buy this rumor. I think he's gone. I buy that the BOT strongly suggested / demanded that Wellman fire him.

Where do we get the idea that Wellman is staunchly in favor of keeping Bz and had to be forced to keep him? Of course, he is going to give him the vote of confidence publicly; no AD is ever going to say publicly that the coach is on thin ice. Coaches who get a vote of confidence from the AD usually get fired within three weeks. It may be true that Wellman supports Bz and wants to keep him at all cost, but what are we basing that on? I would think Wellman doesn't like seeing our program utterly suck and lose tons of money, even if Bz is his best buddy. Bz makes Wellman look awful. I'd love to hear where this "Wellman wants to keep Bz" notion comes from.

Also this is what Ron gets for not putting a timetable on the recovery. I wonder how his performance review of Buzz went...

"We need to see improvement game-by-game, season-by-season. In 2012-13 we don't need a bye in the tourney but we need to be wearing home whites as a 5-8 seed on Thursday. That should be the team's regular season goal."

Or

"The first couple of years are a wash; just keep building a strong foundation."

I buy this rumor. I think he's gone. I buy that the BOT strongly suggested / demanded that Wellman fire him.

Where do we get the idea that Wellman is staunchly in favor of keeping Bz and had to be forced to keep him? Of course, he is going to give him the vote of confidence publicly; no AD is ever going to say publicly that the coach is on thin ice. Coaches who get a vote of confidence from the AD usually get fired within three weeks. It may be true that Wellman supports Bz and wants to keep him at all cost, but what are we basing that on? I would think Wellman doesn't like seeing our program utterly suck and lose tons of money, even if Bz is his best buddy. Bz makes Wellman look awful. I'd love to hear where this "Wellman wants to keep Bz" notion comes from.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding. But the thing is, Wellman HASN'T given Bz a vote of confidence this season.

Good coaches don't get votes of confidence because they're unnecessary. So if you get a vote if confidence, you're in trouble. If you need a vote of confidence and don't get one, you are screwed to the wall. That's what we're dealing with here.

Danny Manning coaching his first ever team (as a non assistant) and he already has as many conference tournament wins as Jeff [Redacted] does in 8 years as a division 1 head coach (I did not include his years at UMBC bc they were an independent).

I can 100% assure you that Wellman was not at all pleased with the team's progress earlier in the year. Hence the expectation that if we tanked down the stretch the man would be gone. I just hope the grand total of two wins over ranked opponents isn't somehow viewed as sufficient "progress" to let him keep his job.

And if the BOT has instructed the AD to let this guy go, there is NOTHING Wellman can do to keep him. Companies and institutions don't work that way.

Ahhh, Ahhh, Ughhh, Hmmmm, Well guess I'm fired guys I tried
buzz-is-tongue-tied-o.gif

Back