• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BZZ Out Rumor

I guess there is no reason why RW has to say anything if he is keeping Buzz for another year. And if Buzz is given an extension, perhaps the only ones who need to know are the ones on the recruiting trail. In any event, an extension announcement could wait for months.

An extension is pointless if not officially announced.

Not announcing the decision to keep [Redacted] would just be turning one mistake into two.

To drag this discussion back to the in/out question, we need to take a look back at the perception (not necessarily the reality) that Dino was fired "prematurely" and "without proper process." The WFU BOT is operating under a 30 year plan for the Reynolda Campus, so a year might not be that big of a deal to them. Also, based on the professions of many, they are process oriented. That is why I would expect a reasonable length of time for a rational post-season evaluation of the body of work of the head men's BB coach at WFU. There will be great reluctance on the part of the BOT/Hatch to appear to be forcing the hand of the WFU AD, who has been selected by his peers to one of the prestigious jobs they have to offer - chair of the NCAA tournament selection committee. Just by circumstance, he will be one of few who serve as chair for two tournaments, because his predecessor (who should have been chair for the 2013 tournament) left the committee because he had a forced change of schools. Therefore Wellman isn't going to be pushed to the point where it looks like he had no choice except to fire the coach or resign/be fired himself. Wake has a long history of giving coaches relatively long leashes to prove themselves (or not). Dino's tenure was the exception. Dino was the exception. Significant success, then out the door when it appeared continued success was unlikely, not after it occurred. There will be the appearance of a deliberative, thoughtful evaluation before a decision is made. There will also be recognition that there is a proper timing factor to getting a new coach if the current one is let go. At the end of the NCAA tournament is not optimum. The longer nothing happens after the second weekend of the NCAA tournament begins, the more likely it is that WFU has a fourth year of the current BB coach.

To drag this discussion back to the in/out question, we need to take a look back at the perception (not necessarily the reality) that Dino was fired "prematurely" and "without proper process." The WFU BOT is operating under a 30 year plan for the Reynolda Campus, so a year might not be that big of a deal to them. Also, based on the professions of many, they are process oriented. That is why I would expect a reasonable length of time for a rational post-season evaluation of the body of work of the head men's BB coach at WFU. There will be great reluctance on the part of the BOT/Hatch to appear to be forcing the hand of the WFU AD, who has been selected by his peers to one of the prestigious jobs they have to offer - chair of the NCAA tournament selection committee. Just by circumstance, he will be one of few who serve as chair for two tournaments, because his predecessor (who should have been chair for the 2013 tournament) left the committee because he had a forced change of schools. Therefore Wellman isn't going to be pushed to the point where it looks like he had no choice except to fire the coach or resign/be fired himself. Wake has a long history of giving coaches relatively long leashes to prove themselves (or not). Dino's tenure was the exception. Dino was the exception. Significant success, then out the door when it appeared continued success was unlikely, not after it occurred. There will be the appearance of a deliberative, thoughtful evaluation before a decision is made. There will also be recognition that there is a proper timing factor to getting a new coach if the current one is let go. At the end of the NCAA tournament is not optimum. The longer nothing happens after the second weekend of the NCAA tournament begins, the more likely it is that WFU has a fourth year of the current BB coach.

Then why is this the time of year when coaching changes are almost always made? If the end of the NCAAT is when your targeted coach finishes his season, it's certainly the "optimum" timing.

A lot of times hires aren't made until right after the end of the tournament, but firing before the end of the tournament puts the opening officially out there for prospects to consider, maybe way in the back of their minds. Also, friends of friends can be saying things like "Y'know, Wake Forest is looking for a men's BB coach. What do you think about it?" Many of the mid-major coaches will be done with game planning by the second weekend. Nice to have the obvious opening by then to be considered.

A lot of times hires aren't made until right after the end of the tournament, but firing before the end of the tournament puts the opening officially out there for prospects to consider, maybe way in the back of their minds. Also, friends of friends can be saying things like "Y'know, Wake Forest is looking for a men's BB coach. What do you think about it?" Many of the mid-major coaches will be done with game planning by the second weekend. Nice to have the obvious opening by then to be considered.

Yep. If we don't hear something by Wednesday, well.......

Exactly...

And this is where we went wrong in 2010. The decision to fire Gaudio was made after the ACC Tournament and we didn't go public with it until after the NCAA Tournament.

Isn't their a larger capital campaign starting for the university soon? Basketball isn't everything....but a lot of grumbling alumni will hurt that campaign as well. Are you listening BOT?

I really have no clue how they expect to pay for the Joel and the improvements it needs if [Redacted] is still the coach next year.

It's my Birthday! Come on WFU grant me my wish!!!!!!

I really have no clue how they expect to pay for the Joel and the improvements it needs if [Redacted] is still the coach next year.

Well, it appears football may no longer be a priority so that's a start toward the bottom line.

I'm hoping some fat cat didn't offer to stake it himself.

Where is Mr. Hello when you need him? We need his input...he's got those three deacon heads

Back