• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bzzzz v Staak - By The Numbers

I don't think RPI goes back far enough, but I would doubt that any Staak team had an RPI outside of the top 100.

1048720.jpg

Culture schmulture- we just want to win again!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/culture

sports-reference.com has a Simple Rating System (SRS) which combines point differential and strength of schedule and then displays it with a number comparative to the average basketball team that year (with the average being 0).

Staak's teams finished with the following SRS: (85-86) 1.39; (86-87) 6.49; (87-88) 2.63; (88-89) 8.12 Avg: 4.6575

Bzz's teams have finished : (10-11) -4.43; (11-12) -0.75;(12-13) 3.29 Avg: -0.63

To put that in context I have included a few other seasons

2006-2007 - 6.08
Dino's last year - 11.45
Duncan's last year - 21.21
UNC's 8-20 year - 3.89
Les Robinson's worst team 93-94 (11-19) - 1.48

I never ever dreamed that we would find ourselves in a position once again where we might compare our situation to the one under Staak ... and then conclude that Staak was better. Unbelievable.

I will one up this. I think Staak could take 40+ year olds Derrick McQueen, Cal Boyd, Sam Ivy, David Carlyle, Ralph Kitley and still beat Bzzz.

sports-reference.com has a Simple Rating System (SRS) which combines point differential and strength of schedule and then displays it with a number comparative to the average basketball team that year (with the average being 0).

Staak's teams finished with the following SRS: (85-86) 1.39; (86-87) 6.49; (87-88) 2.63; (88-89) 8.12 Avg: 4.6575

Bzz's teams have finished : (10-11) -4.43; (11-12) -0.75;(12-13) 3.29 Avg: -0.63

To put that in context I have included a few other seasons

2006-2007 - 6.08
Dino's last year - 11.45
Duncan's last year - 21.21
UNC's 8-20 year - 3.89
Les Robinson's worst team 93-94 (11-19) - 1.48

I'll go out on a limb here and say that Wellman and probably the rest of our fanbase (besides a stubborn few like myself) completely ignore stats like this when a team/coach doesn't win in the post season. Dino's ACC tournament failures killed his fanbase support. Bzz could win a couple ACC tournament games this season and people would be climbing his nuts faster than squirrels up a tree.

Staak coached in the NBA too so Bz doesn't even have that on him.

Okay so it was only one game for the Bullets - a 106-104 loss to the Nuggets - but he still has NBA experience!

Should we bring in the Jim Caldwell coaching record also?

And that would have to do with what?

ETA: Thanks to everyone for engaging this curiosity. RChill just drilled the point home. This guy has been the program's lowest performing coach ever.

And that would have to do with what?

ETA: Thanks to everyone for engaging this curiosity. RChill just drilled the point home. This guy has been the program's lowest performing coach ever.

what he said to all and to Chill

What sux is he ain't going anywhere soon. Wellman is all in and has doubled down

Dino beat #2 Duke in 2007 by 13

prosser beat number 3 UNC vs no. 4 WFU in the biggest game ever played by WFU in terms of audience size. I won 50 bux off that.

btw i still plan to respond to that thread about ur fav coach, JG :)

prosser beat number 3 UNC vs no. 4 WFU in the biggest game ever played by WFU in terms of audience size. I won 50 bux off that.

btw i still plan to respond to that thread about ur fav coach, JG :)

Does it count as a signature win if your team is one of the best in the country? We were like 12-8 when we beat Duke in 07

Does it count as a signature win if your team is one of the best in the country? We were like 12-8 when we beat Duke in 07

Yes it does. Beating a top ten team counts even if you are a top ten team, particularly if it is Duke or UNC. Bzz is never going to sniff the top 10 to have the opportunity for that kind of signature win. He can only pray for a miracle, signature win like Staak. You only have to watch the March Madness seedings each year to know this is a fact.

Back