• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

C9++ Mafia Game. Civs win!

could be a happy median

I just really think the sudden death OT rule is silly

People argue about this every once in awhile. Your way just doesn't work. What about the people that have already voted during the day but can't be there during the OT period? It doesn't work. There isn't a perfect solution but the 10 minute everyone votes (including people who missed the ENTIRE DAY) thing is far worse than sudden death.

I get it, but resetting the vote entirely is the broken part.

In the past, I've tried just allowing anyone to switch without sudden death, and ending 10 minutes later, RNG the kill if still tied. I think that prooooobably favors mafia a bit, but I'm not sure.

This still favors civs, but it isn't as awful as a full reset.

Resetting the votes is really just a run-off

Right, but 10 minutes isn't enough time for a run-off in our games.

This is where longer days would really shine; you could do a multiple hour run-off, which is probably a lot fairer for mafia, but then you'd have certain folks complaining about pace of play.

To be honest, I actually favor RNG immediately when it goes to a tie. Forces mafia prior to the tie to either accept a 50% chance of mafia dying or make some strong moves.

To be honest, I actually favor RNG immediately when it goes to a tie. Forces mafia prior to the tie to either accept a 50% chance of mafia dying or make some strong moves.

If an RNG kills someone then nobody learns anything.

I really don't get the hate on the sudden death.

If an RNG kills someone then nobody learns anything.

I really don't get the hate on the sudden death.
Instead you learn more prior to the RNG. Mafia also has to make a calculated risk on if they're willing to look potentially clean by allowing themselves to hit RNG.

Instead you learn more prior to the RNG. Mafia also has to make a calculated risk on if they're willing to look potentially clean by allowing themselves to hit RNG.

it is the same as having OT. same benefits. same drawbacks

Also, that value of OT has been significantly decreased as of late b/c civs just make random killshots at the beginning for no reason. Strategy should always be to force mafia to make a move unless you actually have valuable information (e.g., knowing one in the tie is a civ).

Also, that value of OT has been significantly decreased as of late b/c civs just make random killshots at the beginning for no reason. Strategy should always be to force mafia to make a move unless you actually have valuable information (e.g., knowing one in the tie is a civ).

that's not always true. there aren't absolutes in the game

that's not always true. there aren't absolutes in the game
Of course. But should be the case more often than not.

When someone makes a random kill shot in OT and kills a civ, that person should immediately be a top candidate for a lynch. No? Otherwise you've created a situation where mafia is forced to reveal themselves, and then you don't capitalize on it.

Of course. But should be the case more often than not.

When someone makes a random kill shot in OT and kills a civ, that person should immediately be a top candidate for a lynch. No? Otherwise you've created a situation where mafia is forced to reveal themselves, and then you don't capitalize on it.

I agree they become an object of suspicion.

Make the overtime rules like survivor. The people involved in the tie are safe, everyone else has to vote for someone that was not in the tie, most votes is out.

Make the overtime rules like survivor. The people involved in the tie are safe, everyone else has to vote for someone that was not in the tie, most votes is out.

I'm going to host a game where if it goes to overtime DV7 automatically dies, regardless of vote count.

I don't think this works though because the whole point of the Survivor thing is that the votes are blind. Everyone can see that there will be a tie, therefore, if we really want someone to go, we won't allow them to be in a tie.

sudden death OT works fine and has for centuries.

centuries?

I also love the rationale to keep something because "that's the way we've always done it!"

Back