• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Can we fine MSU for cow bells

I really can't believe the rest of the SEC hasn't stopped this. When MSU comes to your place, let your people bring in whistles, air horns, cannons, whatever. You could break them eventually. The SEC could penalize them 15 yards everytime a bell rings. What good are the bells if you lose 75-0?

We talked to a couple MSU fans on Broadway this afternoon who said that this year alone MSU has paid 50k in fines related to the cowbells. She didn't say if it was to the SEC or the NCAA, but that they'd gladly keep paying it.

The security at the gate was patting folks down. They patted me and my 2 year old. Did they miss all the cow bells? The stadium rules prohibited noisemakers. Are bells not classified as noise makers?

That fat bastard in 243 is what I was talking about in another thread. He looked like Captain Kangaroo. And he wore a fucking St. Louis Blues Starter jacket that didn't cover his gut. And his wife looked was a looker too.

The security at the gate was patting folks down. They patted me and my 2 year old. Did they miss all the cow bells? The stadium rules prohibited noisemakers. Are bells not classified as noise makers?
According to the broadcast last night, MSU fans weren't allowed to bring them last year, but the MCB decided to allow them in because they wanted to support a quirky/gimmicky atmosphere.

Of course, they supposedly did so under the agreement that fans wouldn't use them during plays... But that's a hell of a lot of faith in human nature by the MCB if true. My guess is they knew what they were doing by allowing them.

Either way, MSU fans are right when they say the bells aren't what made them win. Still annoying as fuck, but nothing to do with the result on the field.

That fat bastard in 243 is what I was talking about in another thread. He looked like Captain Kangaroo. And he wore a fucking St. Louis Blues Starter jacket that didn't cover his gut. And his wife looked was a looker too.

Here is the pic I took of him. Sorry for the quality of the pic.
407417_340372855974645_100000058002033_1490822_188100272_n.jpg

eh it wasn't that loud when they rang the bells. At least not inside the stadium. Now it was extremely obnoxious when the jackasses would ring them inside the bar all day long.

I too found the cowbells to be somewhat obnoxious. As I told some MSU fans after the game in the mens room....Congrats, but if I never hear another cowbell ringing for the rest of my life I won't be upset at all.

With that being said, every fan that I interacted with the entire time I was in Nashville was gracious and polite. I didnt feel that they were ringing their bells to antogonize me, but were ringing them because they were proud MSU fans. I have no problem with that at all. I at times was feeling kind of envious because I wish I as a Wake fan had something like this to cling to.

With that being said......I plan on starting my own Wake tradition. I will start banging a Tamberine at games.
I think it could be tied into the whole Wake theme somehow.

What say you Wake Fans.....anybody with me?

It may be seen by some as lazy cheering, but since we as WF fans can't seem to generate much noise (organized or not) on our own (for numerous reasons) I see this as a way for us to band together and get loud........and have something that we are known for, and to be proud of.

Go Deacs

It was one of those things I would have thought, but unlikely would have said sober. After saying it, I would not have been surprised if he'd punched me, but he laughed and talked to us for a second.

You wouldn't have felt anything anyway.

Why didn't our coach object to the.noisemakers? Or our AD or conference, if it was a decision made by the bowl itself?

Did we know in advance about the cowbells?

If.MSU fans knew in advance that they'd be allowed.in the gates, it would be really fucked up if Wake wasn't told that in advance as well.

And apparently we didn't object.

Yes, we are doormats.
Is there really evidence to support that?

Why would the MCB care that we objected? By most accounts, MSU had a staggering advantage in fans at the game, and MSU's TV market is probably bigger, too. If the MCB wanted to maximize attention from fans that otherwise wouldn't care about this game (hint: they absolutely want to do that), having a gimmick like tens of thousands of fans with goddamn cowbells is probably a pretty good way to do that. The comments made in the ESPN broadcast pretty much support that line of thinking. This had very little to do with MSU or Wake Forest, and a lot to do with turning their heads the other way to allow for an easy attention grab.

And apparently we didn't object.

Yes, we are doormats.

The cowbells didn't lose us that football game... This thread is a joke. Those bells stop ringing if we're winning 21-0.

The cowbells didn't lose us that football game... This thread is a joke. Those bells stop ringing if we're winning 21-0.

I didn't say they did. They also.stopped ringing when MSU had the ball, so we can assume that MSU fans think they are a competitive advantage, and one that the MCB and game officials allowed.one side to use at the expense of the other. But yes, they did not lose us the game. Regardless of the reason, its bullshit of the MCB to allow a one-sided competitive advantage as a gimmick to promote the game. And not effective, either - I don't think anyone but us is talking about cowbells today, and it would probably encourage the casual viewer to change the channel rather than tune in because they were so damn annoying.

I'd like Ron or Grobe to answer the question of whether we.objected to the admission of cowbells, but I doubt we would get a straight answer because, well, we are accustomed to not getting them.

Last edited:
Back