• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Can We Make N.I.T.?

Wonder what the lowest ACC winner seed was

I'm guessing not very low.
What's the lowest seed to with the ACCT? Maryland in 04 was a 6. 83 State or 76 UVA may have been close to that but it was pre-64 team field so it's kind of apples and oranges.
Sorry if I'm restating your question - I assumed you meant the lowest an ACCT winner has been seeded in the NCAAT.

Damn 2004 Maryland was a 4 in the NCAA.

Last edited:
Tulsa was a 13 seed after winning the Conference USA tourney last year

Seems like I remember State making it all the way to the final a few years ago as the lowest seed in the tourney. Am I remembering right?

I'm guessing not very low.
What's the lowest seed to with the ACCT? Maryland in 04 was a 6. 83 State or 76 UVA may have been close to that but it was pre-64 team field so it's kind of apples and oranges.
Sorry if I'm restating your question - I assumed you meant the lowest an ACCT winner has been seeded in the NCAAT.

Damn 2004 Maryland was a 4 in the NCAA.

That was my question. One hand typing.

Seems like I remember State making it all the way to the final a few years ago as the lowest seed in the tourney. Am I remembering right?

In 1983? They were a 6.
Crap, you meant the ACCT. Yes, they were the 9 in 1997 and went to the final. They had like six guys who played and they played four games in four days.
Just found allbrackets.com tonight. Exactly what it sounds like it would be. Fun resource to flip through.

Yeah state made it to the final w Justin gainey (?) playing every minute a bunch of years ago.

Gerry’s McNificent Run

March 8-11, 2006

In 2006, Gerry McNamara took over the Big East Tournament, during an incredible four-day run at Madison Square Garden.

McNamara lifted Syracuse to four dramatic victories, coming up with the clutch play or clutch shot in each one, putting himself on the back pages of the New York City tabloids for four consecutive days.

Syracuse staggered into the tournament with a 7-9 conference record, including losses in its last three games.

In Syracuse’s first game against Cincinnati, McNamara stunned the Bearcats with a last-second 3-pointer for a 74-73 victory. In the quarterfinals against No. 1-ranked Connecticut, McNamara’s 3-pointer with five seconds left sent the game into overtime. Syracuse went on to win 86-84 as McNamara finished with 17 points and 13 assists.

In the semifinals against No. 22 Georgetown, Syracuse trailed for the entire game until McNamara fed Eric Devendorf for a fastbreak layup and a 58-57 lead with 9.3 seconds left.

In the championship game, McNamara, playing despite a painful groin injury, led Syracuse to a 65-61 win over No. 15 Pittsburgh. McNamara managed just 14 points, but it was his 3-pointer with 7:50 remaining that put Syracuse ahead for good

In 1983? They were a 6.
Crap, you meant the ACCT. Yes, they were the 9 in 1997 and went to the final. They had like six guys who played and they played four games in four days.
Just found allbrackets.com tonight. Exactly what it sounds like it would be. Fun resource to flip through.

Jesus...that was 1997! Where does the time go?

Well, we're used to playing our worst basketball of the year heading into the ACC Tournament, so who knows.

Last year's play-in game doesn't count in my book (and shouldn't count in anyone's, just like saying teams made the "2nd round" of the NCAA Tourney these days is a joke), and the walk down memory lane is painful. 84-55 loss to Pitt last year. 13 point loss to Maryland the year before - easily our best performance since 06/07 since we actually had a 5 point lead at the half. Year before, blown out by 22. [Redacted]'s freshman year - lost consecutive games to BC by a combined 30 points including a 16 point halftime ACC tournament deficit. Then you dip into the maddening NBA-player-laden Dino years. 21 point blowout by 12 seed Miami that probably should have dropped us to the NIT. Next of course -the appetizer to the Cleveland State debacle - an 11 point loss to Maryland as a top 10 team and 2 seed in the ACC tourney. But not quite done yet - still have to step back one more year for yet another 1st round double digit loss to FSU, a game where starters James Johnson, Chas McFarland, Ish Smith, and LD Williams combined to make zero free throws. At least Teague made 3 of 4 to keep the starting 5 above 25% from the line.

My point is, we are TOTALLY due. Like amazingly due. It's gotta work like that at some point, right?

Isn't the last time we made the semis even was with big e and j gray the year after cp3? Funny the worst team of the entire gaudio/prosper era was the only one that actually did anything....

Looks like at last years CBI a few teams had 17 losses including Old Dominion, Penn State and Siena. I wouldn't mind watching some extra games and giving the team more time to develop.

Last edited:
I think it's possible if we could take 3 of last 4. That basically means upsetting UVa and Pitt at home and beating BC in Boston. That would give us 7 wins. If some of current 7 win teams stay at 7, our good play may be enough.

Uh, no. Wake WILL not. Let's not get above the Wake Forest Way. We will continue to suck and you folks will just learn to like it.

20120817hatch7899_web.jpeg

I think it's possible if we could take 3 of last 4. That basically means upsetting UVa and Pitt at home and beating BC in Boston. That would give us 7 wins. If some of current 7 win teams stay at 7, our good play may be enough.

Sorry, but no chance at all. The NIT has a selectuon committee from the NCAA. This is an NCAA owned tournament and except for the regular season conference winners that do not win their tournament and do not get the NCAA bid and are thus guaranteed an NIT bid, you need to be around a 20 game winner. Even the year The Va Tech Hokies won 24 or so games they were relegated to the NIT because of their weak schedule. And remember early on we lost to an MEAC team which never helps your case, just like Clemson losing to 2 Big South teams won't help their case.

Looks like last years CBI a a few teams had 17 losses including Old Dominion, Penn State and Siena. I wouldn't mind watching some extra games and giving the team more time to develop.

No, never. You have to pay to be in that shit tournament. There is no selection or honor being in that one.

Isn't the last time we made the semis even was with big e and j gray the year after cp3? Funny the worst team of the entire gaudio/prosper era was the only one that actually did anything....

Unfortunately, I believe, I can name all the Semi's we've been in since Staak arrived

- 1987 Bogues Sr year - the double foul game vs. State
- 1994 Timmy freshman year - the UNC missed foul shot, put back by Calabrea (sp?)
- 1995 Childress Sr year, Timmy ACCT Championship 1
- 1996 Timmy ACCT Champ 2
- 1997 Timmy Sr year
- 2006 Skip's only trip to Saturday

We are very used to not playing in the semis.

Unfortunately, I believe, I can name all the Semi's we've been in since Staak arrived

- 1987 Bogues Sr year - the double foul game vs. State
- 1994 Timmy freshman year - the UNC missed foul shot, put back by Calabrea (sp?)
- 1995 Childress Sr year, Timmy ACCT Championship 1
- 1996 Timmy ACCT Champ 2
- 1997 Timmy Sr year
- 2006 Skip's only trip to Saturday

We are very used to not playing in the semis.

We made the semis in 2003 - Josh Howard's senior year. Still a disappointment though, considering we were the number one seed.

Also made it Skip's first year in 02. Won the quarter in the Steve Lepore knee game.

Back