• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Can We Make N.I.T.?

Man, you people are gonna be super salty if we don't make some kind of postseason tournament next year.

Wake would need to go 3-1 and then win 2 games in the tourney just to get to .500. Even then theyre probably on the outside looking in unless the ACC can get 7 teams in the real tourney and FSU/Clemson basically lose out to finish sub-500. I'm not sure how much conference representation matters in the NIT(I remember looking at it last year and major conferences' # of bids were highly volatile). However, one would think the committee would like to see more than one ACC team.

As opposed to the previous four years, I wouldn't mind seeing us in the CBI, regardless of its reputation and entry process. A few more games can never hurt in this case.

normally I'd be against the CBI. I know it costs us $$ to play in it, but with such a young team, I think it would be beneficial. Could help set a tone for next year too.

I would love for this team to be in the CBI. Any post season experience is good for our players and our staff.

Man, you people are gonna be super salty if we don't make some kind of postseason tournament next year.

I am pretty conservative with projections, and I feel pretty confident in our ability to make the NIT next year. We will be much improved with the incoming talent, and an offseason to absorb Manning's principles and leadership. I expect all three of our contributing freshman to be significantly more seasoned as sophomores as well.

Wake Forest has about a 100 times better chance of not winning another game this year and finishing 12-20 than they have of getting an NIT bid. They will be the underdog in all four of their remaining regular season games.

Barring injuries and/or suspensions, WF will not be an underdog at home versus Pitt on Sunday. WF will be a very small favorite. Also, as things stand today, the BC/WF line will be close to pick. WF will be a massive dog at Duke, and is a 7.5 point dog tonight. So, the most statistically likely finish is 1-3 out of the next 4. The next most likely is 2-2. WF is not getting an NIT bid absent winning 5 out of the next 7 (or better) which is extremely unlikely. Even if WF did upset UVA, beat Pitt and BC, and then won two ACC tourney games to finish 17-17, WF still might not get an NIT invite.

Have no intel, but I would not be surprised if WF ponied up the cash to play in the CBI. Agree with the thought that playing more games would only help the team heading into next year, and I could see the athletic department deciding it would be worth the money to get WF a few extra games. IIRC, Virginia played in the CBI a few years ago.

Last edited:
What is the AD's rationale for not playing in the CBI? Do we have a blanket policy that we will never participate or is it a year-by-year decision? I feel like it's the former, since I think we declined a chance to play in it under both Dino and Bz.

What is the AD's rationale for not playing in the CBI? Do we have a blanket policy that we will never participate or is it a year-by-year decision? I feel like it's the former, since I think we declined a chance to play in it under both Dino and Bz.

It costs money

It costs money
To host a game, it's $35K for the first-round game, $50K for quarterfinals, and $75K per game for the semifinals and best-of-three finals. That's a lot of cash for the sake of a team morale boost against crappy competition. Pass.

ETA: I'm not sure we'd even qualify with a losing record. I don't know what the qualifiers are for that joke of a tourney. I guess if you paid enough money, they'd let anyone in.

Last edited:
Well, Wellman did pay our last coach about $250,000 for every ACC win.

You do not need a winning record to play in the CBI.

We're playing in the stacked Maui Tourney next November. We play at LSU early next year who will probably be a preseason top ten team. Other teams go to Europe/China/etc. over the summer. I'll take all the extra games we can get to get ready for next year. Our freshman could definitely use the practice. Plus, if Wake could win a few games, thatll only help their confidence going into next year. I still don't see any valid argument against playing in it-please the cost is not a big deal at all. I was pissed when we didnt play in it last year and will be pissed if the same thing happens this year.

Back in 2010 a young VCU team strung together 4 straight wins to win the CBI, anyone remember how they did the following year??

We're playing in the stacked Maui Tourney next November. We play at LSU early next year who will probably be a preseason top ten team. Other teams go to Europe/China/etc. over the summer. I'll take all the extra games we can get to get ready for next year. Our freshman could definitely use the practice. Plus, if Wake could win a few games, thatll only help their confidence going into next year. I still don't see any valid argument against playing in it-please the cost is not a big deal at all. I was pissed when we didnt play in it last year and will be pissed if the same thing happens this year.

Back in 2010 a young VCU team strung together 4 straight wins to win the CBI, anyone remember how they did the following year??

President Hatch has been begging to play in the Maui tourney to get us exposure. Playing in the CBI does not get us any exposure even if we win it because nobody knows.

Back