• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Car Insurance/Totaled Car Question

wakegrrl

Hurricane Goddess
Reaction score
Yesterday, my husband and I were in a car accident at a known bad interchange in our town. (We are both physically fine.)

Basically, the on/off-ramps at this interchange are very short. A car had more or less stopped at the bottom of the on-ramp onto the highway; in the meantime, a Jeep was accelerating down the on-ramp and couldn't stop when they saw the stopped car. So the Jeep swerved around the stopped car and came across two lanes of the highway, kinda out of control. All the cars on the road immediately swerved left to get out of his way and we ended up being in a chain-reaction accident with four other cars. (The Jeep proceeded to leave the scene, but my husband got the license plate.) We were hit in the rear passenger side corner of my 2021 Honda CR-V. Air bags did not deploy; the car is basically drivable although parts are rubbing on the rear passenger-side tire. The tailgate opens and closes.

Allstate is giving a preliminary estimate that my car is totaled based on my photos of the incident. They have not yet seen the police report and the adjuster has not seen the car in person. If they say the car is totaled, what recourse do we have for a second opinion or anything like that? I'm assuming we'd have to hire a mechanic or something similar to give another opinion.

Now, I recognize that the frame may be bent and that may be enough to technically total the car in the insurance company's eyes. But from my standpoint (and, for what it's worth, the standpoint of the tow truck driver) it doesn't look like damage that can't be repaired.

Obligatory #notmyfault tag.

539d1fe7e043be000d3a8aea3a1e9d37.jpg

First of all. glad you are ok. That's #1.
Second, I believe "totalled" is strictly a math equation. Do they believe it would cost more to repair than to replace the vehicle with one in the same condition. I think they have to tell you what the replacement value is they are saying for this vehicle to be considered totalled. I thought i was able to get a vehicle repaired once for less than totalled value and insurance paid it...but that was like 20 yrs ago. not sure if laws have changed

Glad y'all are OK.

If totaled, what's the difference between what they'll give you and what you'd have to pay to buy a reasonably similar used 2021 replacement?

Glad y'all are OK.

If totaled, what's the difference between what they'll give you and what you'd have to pay to buy a reasonably similar used 2021 replacement?
That's a good question and tbh I haven't even looked at replacements yet. I'm trying not to spiral until they actually look at the car but every time they call me and say "we're showing this as likely totaled" -- well, there I go, spiraling right down.

I think Windy is right, they can total the car but if you can get it repaired for less than what they stroke a check to you for the loss then more power to you. We have insurance people on the boards that I am sure will chime in and I’m not talking welfare grifters like TheReff

You'll wind up having to get a salvage title if the car has been totaled by the insurance company. After repairs you can get it inspected and get a rebuilt title.

Either way, you car has lost a ton of value and may not be insurable.

Yesterday, my husband and I were in a car accident at a known bad interchange in our town. (We are both physically fine.)

Basically, the on/off-ramps at this interchange are very short. A car had more or less stopped at the bottom of the on-ramp onto the highway; in the meantime, a Jeep was accelerating down the on-ramp and couldn't stop when they saw the stopped car. So the Jeep swerved around the stopped car and came across two lanes of the highway, kinda out of control. All the cars on the road immediately swerved left to get out of his way and we ended up being in a chain-reaction accident with four other cars. (The Jeep proceeded to leave the scene, but my husband got the license plate.) We were hit in the rear passenger side corner of my 2021 Honda CR-V. Air bags did not deploy; the car is basically drivable although parts are rubbing on the rear passenger-side tire. The tailgate opens and closes.

Allstate is giving a preliminary estimate that my car is totaled based on my photos of the incident. They have not yet seen the police report and the adjuster has not seen the car in person. If they say the car is totaled, what recourse do we have for a second opinion or anything like that? I'm assuming we'd have to hire a mechanic or something similar to give another opinion.

Now, I recognize that the frame may be bent and that may be enough to technically total the car in the insurance company's eyes. But from my standpoint (and, for what it's worth, the standpoint of the tow truck driver) it doesn't look like damage that can't be repaired.

Obligatory #notmyfault tag.

in the current environment vehicles are being totalled much more frequently b/c of the sharp rise in claims costs over the past three years.

it sounds like it's provisional so it'll depend on the initial estimate but i'd plan on looking for a new vehicle. Because the totalled line is about 70-75% of the value of the vehicle, there is no appeals process; if it's totalled by one carrier it's basically now salvage.

The used car market is insane right now, and new isn’t much better. Not sure if that factors into “totaled” numbers, but I would definitely look at how much it would cost to replace it before you make your decision.

75% is the line in NC. Your car is almost certainly totaled.

has less
The used car market is insane right now, and new isn’t much better. Not sure if that factors into “totaled” numbers, but I would definitely look at how much it would cost to replace it before you make your decision.

values are up but not compared to costs associated with settling claims (parts, labor, car rental, etc.)

the current environment is uncharted territory for the entire industry

We got hit from behind last year and it was a $8000 fender bender, not close to being totaled, but really expensive.

Best to remember that you can legally drive and insure a salvage titled vehicle, but a salvage titled vehicle is only eligible for liability coverage

TBH, the reason they can make such an assessment is they know what damage looks like for a typical accident and current repair rates. If antyhing this is speeding you along rather than waiting for aticky tack back/forth with a shop.

I will say i'd start looking at the sales-lot prices for your year/make/mode/mileage to get a handle on what they might offer you in case you need to push back if they lowball.

https://www.cargurus.com/ is a site i use for quick reference b/c it searches dealerships local and expands and you can find a stack of simliar vehicles.

if you can find 3-5 similar vehicles at a rough price point, you can know what to expect from Allstate or negotiate up if necessary.

Best to remember that you can legally drive and insure a salvage titled vehicle, but a salvage titled vehicle is only eligible for liability coverage

unless it's repaired/certified but any carrier will still steeply devalue it on a subsequent loss.

getting physical damage coverage on an R title vehicle is, frankly, silly. great deal for the carrier, though b/c they don't discount the premiums to account for it.

Back