• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Car Insurance/Totaled Car Question

I think Progressive is the only company we represent that will write full coverage on a totaled vehicle (in SC), and they are getting harder and harder to write with for just normal insurance policies with all their pre-bind crap.

I think Progressive is the only company we represent that will write full coverage on a totaled vehicle (in SC), and they are getting harder and harder to write with for just normal insurance policies with all their pre-bind crap.

they don't want anything except your best prospects (that everyone better already wants/has). makes me chuckle when the sales guy comes shuffling in once a quarter

they don't want anything except your best prospects (that everyone better already wants/has). makes me chuckle when the sales guy comes shuffling in once a quarter
Yeah they used to be our "they'll take whatever we give 'em" company for all sub-par risks, and now they've gone to the Auto-Owners side of things and only want those. Quite the pivot over the past few months.

Yeah they used to be our "they'll take whatever we give 'em" company for all sub-par risks, and now they've gone to the Auto-Owners side of things and only want those. Quite the pivot over the past few months.

it's been in the works for about 5 years but i just laugh each time b/c they got into agencies specifically for the garbage business. their service is worse, rate variablity worse, claims worse, reputation worse. i also have their home product which is extremely expensive unless you have a newer (10 yrs) home and are crystal clean.

Try to get a rental car for 30 days so you aren't under a lot of pressure to buy a new car on a shortened timeline. Especially if it takes 10 days to officially total the car.

Try to get a rental car for 30 days so you aren't under a lot of pressure to buy a new car on a shortened timeline. Especially if it takes 10 days to officially total the car.

actually, most carriers have provisions that cap rental coverage at 3-10 days after notice of totalling, separate from the 'regular' rental reimbursement coverage.

I'm picking up my rental this afternoon.

Thanks, y'all. I guess we're lucky that we haven't had to go through anything like this recently. I appreciate the advice, especially since I feel fairly certain given everything you've said that Allstate will start with a fairly lowball estimate. I've pulled the payoff number so I know what we're working with there and I guess it's time to do some car shopping.
:fuuuuu::facepalm:

the 30 days of rental car thing blows when most body shops have at least a 4-6 week lead time. one shop we called wouldn't even bring it in to assess for 4-6 weeks. we had our car in a shop in Virginia right over Christmas, and we rented a car there, but because we have an NC policy it was max 30 days for the rental coverage. the Enterprise guy said in VA there is no limit for rental coverage.

Why are we debating this and not just inviting thereff over here?

Best to remember that you can legally drive and insure a salvage titled vehicle, but a salvage titled vehicle is only eligible for liability coverage

This.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

With no comp or coll coverage on a 2021 vehicle, best to move on and get another vehicle if in fact it's a total loss.

Well since it was the other driver's fault her car is going to be repaired by the other company anyway, even if she didn't have collision on it.

Well since it was the other driver's fault her car is going to be repaired by the other company anyway, even if she didn't have collision on it.
Oh we had full coverage because we still had a loan on it (within six months of paying it off, of course). I guess the question is whether the car that actually hit me or the disappearing Jeep is liable.

it's good you have coverage so you can move on to a new vehicle quickly and not have to battle it out

Yes, repaired or a total loss apparently.

If it is a total loss, looks to be better to get another vehicle which can have physical damage coverages (comp and collision) rather than accept a salvage title on the 2021 model year total loss vehicle to then repair it with only liability coverage available.

Oh we had full coverage because we still had a loan on it (within six months of paying it off, of course). I guess the question is whether the car that actually hit me or the disappearing Jeep is liable.

Went through this back in May. Few things we learned.

• first settlement offer from insurance had some car features missing. We got those corrected and we got the vehicle repair history and submitted that as well and got credit for some recent work.
  • Since you don't have the car title, it's going to take longer between agreeing to a settlement amount, car insurance paying off what you owe, then waiting for the title, then issuing you a check
  • rental coverage was for one week after declaring totaled. annoying since at times insurance was taking forever

the 30 days of rental car thing blows when most body shops have at least a 4-6 week lead time. one shop we called wouldn't even bring it in to assess for 4-6 weeks. we had our car in a shop in Virginia right over Christmas, and we rented a car there, but because we have an NC policy it was max 30 days for the rental coverage. the Enterprise guy said in VA there is no limit for rental coverage.

Yea, we had to have some accident-related body work done in the last year...took weeks to get on the schedule.

The USAA recommended body shop did help us out by making the thing drivable in the meantime. And did a great job in the end.

Back