• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Car Insurance/Totaled Car Question

Never had an issue with usaa not bring great. Took a tight turn in an rv rentalonce and damaged one of the small storage doors on the side. Called usaa and dropped the rental off. Never thought about it again.

No parent or grandparent on either side? Wife and I both eligible from our parents.
My grandfather served, but wasn't a member and is now dead. Doesn't it have to be passed down from the person that served, or can I straight up walk in with his credentials and be eligible?

My grandfather served, but wasn't a member and is now dead. Doesn't it have to be passed down from the person that served, or can I straight up walk in with his credentials and be eligible?

no

Who's eligible for USAA membership?​

• Active Duty military
  • National Guard and Reservists
  • Veterans who have honorably served
  • Contracted ROTC Cadets and Midshipmen
  • Officer and Warrant Officer Candidates
  • Military spouses
  • Children of USAA members
  • Service Academy appointees

Not sure. I thought it was family but a quick Google search tells me if a grandparent was a member you could be eligible. Sounds like maybe not though

Not sure. I thought it was family but a quick Google search tells me if a grandparent was a member you could be eligible. Sounds like maybe not though

I think his dad would have had to joined after his grandfather and then he could join.

I think his dad would have had to joined after his grandfather and then he could join.

I think this is right. And grandchild is the last generation to whom membership can be passed. I think, but am not certain.

My sister in law is visiting. They live in Santa Rosa, CA and lost their home to the Tubbs fire in 2017.

They feel like they got good service and help from Amica.

We have Hanover (in GA). They were great when our house flooded due to a frozen pipe.

I can only really speak to companies that independent insurance agencies work with, but overall, despite the bad rep of insurance as a whole, most companies are pretty good with claims, but most of it is contingent on the claims adjuster you get.

Any "High Net Worth" company (Chubb, AIG, PURE, Vault) are going to go above and beyond when a claim occurs. Aside from the "top tier" companies, Auto-Owners, Amica, Travelers, and Liberty Mutual all are pretty good as well for bundling/claims handling and I would highly recommend them, especially if you have several assets you're covering.

I can only really speak to companies that independent insurance agencies work with, but overall, despite the bad rep of insurance as a whole, most companies are pretty good with claims, but most of it is contingent on the claims adjuster you get.

Any "High Net Worth" company (Chubb, AIG, PURE, Vault) are going to go above and beyond when a claim occurs. Aside from the "top tier" companies, Auto-Owners, Amica, Travelers, and Liberty Mutual all are pretty good as well for bundling/claims handling and I would highly recommend them, especially if you have several assets you're covering.
Thanks for this advice as well as the other thoughts (ITC, looking at you) on this thread. We are definitely going to look at switching our insurance after this whole debacle is behind us. I've meant to get estimates for a while but this is a good reminder. Allstate, so far, has been fine, but with a new car on the horizon, a 20-yo male driver, etc., etc., I'd better at least check some reputable companies.

Yeah, and obviously price is important, but you do want to make sure you're balancing premium with reputability.

Those captive agencies (Allstate, State Farm, Geico) CAN be good obviously. I would highly recommend an independent agency to help out and do the work for you.

Luckily thanks to my dad, I've been with USAA since I was 16 and now have our homeowners with them too. FWIW, I have multiple friends who each had 10-20 years claims-free with State Farm and each had their policies cancelled after their first claim.

75% is the line in NC. Your car is almost certainly totaled.
Correct. 75% of the total of the cost of the repairs plus rental car expenses if that matters. If it gets anywhere close it gets totaled because most every claim estimate has a supplement during repairs. No initial estimate hardly ever hits the repair number in the nose because you can’t see all the parts/metal bent underneath.

Another thing going on industrywide is that they want older cars totaled so newer more technology proficient cars are on the road.

sounds like i gotta get my granddad to enroll then get my mom to enroll then i can enroll

game on

Bringing this BTTT for a final report:

Car was deemed totaled. Allstate, surprisingly, gave us a very reasonable valuation. Have a deposit down on a new hybrid CR-V that should be in next week. Going to let this settle for a few months then start investigating different insurers.

I appreciate the advice and counsel of those who know about this stuff.

Has anyone ever sold a car for salvage? We've got a 2014 Kia Sorento that needs a new engine and don't think it's worth replacing.

Back