• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carry On bags

I pretty much lose faith in common sense.

Probably some of the angriest times in my life. I pretty much rant about it, predictably, every time I board.

Yep, flying is basically a huge cluster and we screw it up more by trying to make people feel special. Boarding by row or window->aisle clearly makes the most sense. Is there any advantage of boarding front to back, other than overhead bins? The last few times I've flown, I sat in the back and we were the last group to get on.sucks carrying luggage down the narrow aisle of an already-stuffed plane.

1. Boarding window-> aisle only works if everyone is on their own. You can't split up families, and if they all board together, you have even a bigger problem then if its back -> front

2. Back -> front would work if there was room for everyone's carry on and everyone used the bin above their seat. Since that doesn't happen, and "elite" flyers are more likely to sit in the front, you'd have your best customers stuck without overhead space. Not a good way to keep customers.

So basically it's settled on the current setup. Elites first, and then back to front.

Load back to front and gate check elite bags.

Once I chose a seat in the front few rows and arrived into the plane to find all the overhead bins full except one spot like 20 rows back. I had to put my bag all the way back there and upon arrival at my destination I had to wait for the entire plane to empty out before I could go back and get my things. SO annoying. If that was caused by back-of-the-plane people putting their things in the front, that's so wrong. Now when I know I'm flying with a carry-on, I specifically choose seats closer to the back so there is a better chance of boarding first and getting the overhead space.

I never understand the people who sit in my specifically chosen window seat and seem all put out when I arrive to the row and make them sit in their middle or aisle seat. Um no, I am not sacrificing my window just because you got there first. Or the aisle/middle seat guy who is all buckled in already even though the window is still empty. Dude, you're going to have to get up.

Its the hope that perhaps the seat is empty and if you sat in your own assigned seat that perhaps someone else who wasn't assigned the seat would take it instead of you

I flew United from DCA to Denver recently and was in like zone 5 (one of the first real zones after all the elites and so forth). the guy wouldn't let me get on the plane with my bag because he said there wasn't enough bin space since it was a full flight so he made me gate check it. since the first few zones didn't have many people I knew there would be tons of space available. but he wouldn't have any of it and sure enough I board as one of the first in my zone and there are tons of empty overhead bins. it also held us up because then basically everyone had to gate check since much of the plane (a big ol' 757 to boot) still had to board. plus, the Denver airport is huge so it takes forever to get to the carousel and wait for your bag.

1. Boarding window-> aisle only works if everyone is on their own. You can't split up families, and if they all board together, you have even a bigger problem then if its back -> front

2. Back -> front would work if there was room for everyone's carry on and everyone used the bin above their seat. Since that doesn't happen, and "elite" flyers are more likely to sit in the front, you'd have your best customers stuck without overhead space. Not a good way to keep customers.

So basically it's settled on the current setup. Elites first, and then back to front.

Then put the GD back door to the gate, and load from front to back.

Good points. I'm used to family boarding separarely. That makes sense so you get families on before they tie everybody else up.

If you are flying coach and you try to put your bag in first class the flight attends will stop you (unless all the overheads are full). But why they don't stop people from sitting in the back of the plane from leaving their bags in the front as they boards I do not understand. Why is coach like the Wild West where its every man for himself?

Its the hope that perhaps the seat is empty and if you sat in your own assigned seat that perhaps someone else who wasn't assigned the seat would take it instead of you

most airplanes have ASSIGNED SEATS. you're really suggesting people sit in wrong seats to prevent OTHER people from stealing seats that don't belong to them? why would anyone sit in a seat besides their assigned and ticketed seat? I mean, at least wait until boarding is over and they shut the doors before moving around.

I also hate people who try to guilt you into taking a bad seat (for me, aisle and middle are bad. window seats are the only good ones.) because they couldn't get their act together to buy tickets with their travel buddy. "oh I'm sorry I want to sit with my girlfriend, do you mind taking my middle seat next to the fat woman with a crying lap baby?" No no no no.

If you are flying coach and you try to put your bag in first class the flight attends will stop you (unless all the overheads are full). But why they don't stop people from sitting in the back of the plane from leaving their bags in the front as they boards I do not understand. Why is coach like the Wild West where its every man for himself?

They have to justify or entice people to upgrade to first class. Recently took a red eye back east on Virgin and I don't know if it was the fiddy playing as I was checking in or what, but I went with the upgrade and it was f'in awesome. A+ would do again.

b/c that's how air travel is: fucking survival of the fittest

You are supposed to sit in your assigned seat or else the flight manifest is not correct. Causes issues if you crash.

most airplanes have ASSIGNED SEATS. you're really suggesting people sit in wrong seats to prevent OTHER people from stealing seats that don't belong to them? why would anyone sit in a seat besides their assigned and ticketed seat? I mean, at least wait until boarding is over and they shut the doors before moving around.

I also hate people who try to guilt you into taking a bad seat (for me, aisle and middle are bad. window seats are the only good ones.) because they couldn't get their act together to buy tickets with their travel buddy. "oh I'm sorry I want to sit with my girlfriend, do you mind taking my middle seat next to the fat woman with a crying lap baby?" No no no no.

yeah I had a guy come up to me a few months ago and was like "excuse me, usually I get an exit row seat since I'm pretty tall but I couldn't get one this time." too bad, should've gotten to the airport sooner -- I don't pay for exit rows but always ask at the gate to see if they're available. if this is so important and you "always get one," then pay for one.

Sure - let's rearrange the whole layout and operations of every airport world wide. I'm sure they'll get right on that.

Does the width of the plane change? Is there a door on the back of the plane? Does the plane back out of the space? Could it not back into the space?

Loading more efficiently would literally save hundreds of hours per year in travel time.

Because I, like you, think that the window seat is the only good seat and that the time of hope and trepidation wondering if perhaps the person who originally bought the window seat cancelled is exciting. And if someone else were to take the seat without it being their seat it would be like finding a winning lottery ticket on the ground and just leaving in there.

The better alternative would just be to buy a lot of stuff and "leave it" on the window seat to discourage someone from randomly taking it.

One time I made it all the way to the end with there being no one else getting on for a minute or two and it was perhaps the happiest minute or two of my life. And then douchey mcdouchealot showed up running to be the last one to board the plane.

I'm not gonna give someone the stink eye or anything though.

Back