• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catholic Church Thread

"Hitchens overlooked a couple of details in this analysis. Afterlife has been something of a challenge for him, having his philosophical bubble burst at the same time I'm frying his ass for eternity. He is a sassy thing down here. Go Deacs!"- Beelzebub

Actually, Hitchens organs were used for medical research. So posthumously Hitchens continued to support science.

"Hitchens overlooked a couple of details in this analysis. Afterlife has been something of a challenge for him, having his philosophical bubble burst at the same time I'm frying his ass for eternity. He is a sassy thing down here. Go Deacs!"- Beelzebub

It's comforting to know Wake fandom lasts through Hell.

Thanks for the rep rj. But surely you're not suggesting that God provides special privileges to some based solely on their family tree. Now, that indeed would be a silly idea, and I'm sure God himself would have a good laugh about it.

So mf will post about Catholics in all places except where she's suppossed to?

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Believing in fairy tales doesn't seem to be a problem for most.

The sad part is that you don't see your own belief as a 'fairy tale'.

I recognize my beliefs as faith in the unseen, you seem to think that you can see while you wander in the dark.

Thanks for the rep rj. But surely you're not suggesting that God provides special privileges to some based solely on their family tree. Now, that indeed would be a silly idea, and I'm sure God himself would have a good laugh about it.

Isn't that what predestination is about? Any fundamentalist Calvinists on here?

The sad part is that you don't see your own belief as a 'fairy tale'.

I recognize my beliefs as faith in the unseen, you seem to think that you can see while you wander in the dark.

This is a semantic masterpiece of a post.

:) Thought you would like Townie. Calvinist here...the basic premise is that God is in control, that he doesn't have to save anyone, but that he chooses to save some, not because of their own merit, but for His own reasons. Pretty much, God decides to save some of the people that are openly rebelling against Him. If He chose to save all, then he wouldn't really be doing any saving, because there would be nothing to be saved from. So in a sense God is choosing his own people. That is a very simplistic explanation, but the story of the Bible is of God choosing, and not the other way around. The Israelites didn't choose God, he chose them, the Disciples didnt choose Jesus, he chose them, and the story of the Gospel is that Jesus died for his chosen people. A Calvinist would tell you that God's call is a requirement for relationship, but in the same sentence would say that personal responsibility is equally important. It is a concept that the Bible calls for, but no one can really get their head around. We are chosen, yet we are called to spread the Gospel and be responsible for our own actions.

:) Thought you would like Townie. Calvinist here...the basic premise is that God is in control, that he doesn't have to save anyone, but that he chooses to save some, not because of their own merit, but for His own reasons. Pretty much, God decides to save some of the people that are openly rebelling against Him. If He chose to save all, then he wouldn't really be doing any saving, because there would be nothing to be saved from. So in a sense God is choosing his own people. That is a very simplistic explanation, but the story of the Bible is of God choosing, and not the other way around. The Israelites didn't choose God, he chose them, the Disciples didnt choose Jesus, he chose them, and the story of the Gospel is that Jesus died for his chosen people. A Calvinist would tell you that God's call is a requirement for relationship, but in the same sentence would say that personal responsibility is equally important. It is a concept that the Bible calls for, but no one can really get their head around. We are chosen, yet we are called to spread the Gospel and be responsible for our own actions.

Alright, I'll take the bait. As a Christian, I have a hard time with the notion that some people are predestined to suffer the most excruciating pain and separation from God for eternity, and there's nothing they can do about it. It was decided before they were born. Is that what Calvinists believe?

Isn't that what predestination is about? Any fundamentalist Calvinists on here?

Predestination is based on God's sovereign will, whatever that might be. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your ancestry, much less make it the sole criterion for admission into heaven. But you are right in respect Townie, in both cases entry into heaven is completely beyond your control.

Alright, I'll take the bait. As a Christian, I have a hard time with the notion that some people are predestined to suffer the most excruciating pain and separation from God for eternity, and there's nothing they can do about it. It was decided before they were born. Is that what Calvinists believe?

I think Calvinists believe that all are worthy of being condemned due to their sins - the more one turns away from God, the more one sins - but God chooses to save some. God could justly condemn everyone but God chooses not to do so.

Calvinist believe that we choose to run from God willingly. It isn't a matter of being damned from the start, it is simply that by nature we choose damnation every day of the week without an intervention from God Himself. So you have all of humanity choosing to be their own gods, and God intervenes in some of their lives. He has no obligation to intervene in anyone's life, but for His own good pleasure he chooses to do so. If you want a parallel it would be the same thing as a a lawyer choosing to serve the sentence of one of his clients. The fact that he doesn't choose all of his clients doesn't mean he is evil, but simply that the one that he chooses to serve the sentence for should be grateful.

Jesus chose to serve the death sentence for a chosen group of people, the fact that not all were chosen is not a black mark. This whole concept of pre-destination is much more of a stumbling block than anything though because even people who believe it (like me) don't understand it and don't really know what to do with it. I just believe that is what the Bible reveals, and I believe the Bible to be the inerrant revealed truth of God. So I accept it and use that truth as an encouragement. The Bible clearly calls for us to witness and pray for other people to hear the call, so it is not like I can sit back and enjoy my 'chosen-ness'. That would probably mean I didn't receive the call. The reality of a Calvinist is that it is based in a complete and utter humility. A realization that I didn't do anything on my own. This leads to love and gratefulness, which leads to wanting to share the great news that I am saved, and that I am saved because someone greater than me reached out and saved me. If I could save myself then I wouldn't need a Savior.

Again - this is a very difficult topic to discuss on a message board. Hopefully you can see the positive side of it, and how it is not a concept that anyone has a great grasp on...even the great theologians.

The Orthadox Jewish word for heathen or heretic is apodakas, which translates to follower of Epicurus. Most religions have taught me that having fun is one of the worst things you can do. At least in Catholicism, if you're sorry and you admit it, you are forgiven, amirite?

The Orthadox Jewish word for heathen or heretic is apodakas, which translates to follower of Epicurus. Most religions have taught me that having fun is one of the worst things you can do. At least in Catholicism, if you're sorry and you admit it, you are forgiven, amirite?

I have no idea what this post means.

Back