• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBI/CIT

People really think playing in the CBI will count for experience points for our young guys? Really?

There's no difference between the CBI and our game against Rollins in November.

Lol. The CBI isn't any great shakes, but ti's not the dregs of college basketball that some are making it out to be. Its bracket is usually stocked with teams who finished in the bottom half of their big conferences (like us), and mid-majors who really aren't so bad but couldn't get into a bigger tourney.

The "good" teams in the CBI are typically up in the 70-100 range, and the "bad" ones are down near 150. Not good, but you're basically going to end up playing teams about as good as Boston College and Virginia Tech.

PH, I'm going to give up on you in this one. Somebody else can continue if they wish.... but it baffles me that you can continue to claim that a team that is led by 4 seniors and a junior is not experienced.

I remember that year. Several of us were pointing out the inexperience of the bench and how it would hurt us.

IMO, a huge mistake the Premier made was declining a CBI bid after Gaudio's first year. Have to get these kids some tournament experience. And props to PH for pointing that out at the time.

People really think playing in the CBI will count for experience points for our young guys? Really?

There's no difference between the CBI and our game against Rollins in November.

Okay, cool then. We can make the other CBI teams play zone just like we did vs Rollins?? Then let's go - CJ will bust that zone.

Lol. The CBI isn't any great shakes, but ti's not the dregs of college basketball that some are making it out to be. Its bracket is usually stocked with teams who finished in the bottom half of their big conferences (like us), and mid-majors who really aren't so bad but couldn't get into a bigger tourney.

The "good" teams in the CBI are typically up in the 70-100 range, and the "bad" ones are down near 150. Not good, but you're basically going to end up playing teams about as good as Boston College and Virginia Tech.

Okay, cool then. We can make the other CBI teams play zone just like we did vs Rollins?? Then let's go - CJ will bust that zone.

Geez, way to miss the point entirely. Its not about the quality of teams - its about the weight of the game. The players aren't stupid - they know schools have to pay to play in the CBI. They know the games are nothing more than glorified scrimmages, even if the caliber of opponent is mediocre to decent.

The NIT is a different story, but that's not happening unless we run the table and make some noise in the ACCT.

The original claim was that the team was inexperienced. Now you are saying that the bench was inexperienced. You're seldom going to have a team where the entire team is comprised of juniors & seniors. However, it's simply ridiculous to say that a team led by 4 seniors & a junior....including two seniors who had already made all-conference and a junior who would make all-conference the next year (as bmoneydeac posted) was "inexperienced".

So, coming from someone who has a tendency to argue over semantics and hair-splitting (me): why are you wasting time arguing over such an inconsequential, borderline grammatical distinction? I'm pretty sure everybody agrees with the basic point.

Everybody must not be in agreement. I'm only responding to posts that are continuing to support the "inexperience" argument.

You can argue that a glass is half full while ph argues that a glass is half empty, and the amount of water in the glass is the same.

I think it is likely that wake would need to finish with about 16 wins to be in the mix for a CBI spot anyway, so this is probably a moot discussion. If somehow they get a bid, you KNOW that Wake will accept it, just to say that they made the post season in year three and everything is on schedule.

I'd laugh if Wake got blown out in the first round, though.

Didn't VCU win the CBI the year before their final 4 run. Not saying its automatic translation but I guarantee if you spoke to Shaka, he would say it was extremely helpful to play in that tournament.

I don't think the players have any idea that teams have to pay to play in the CBI and I don't think that they're going to view it as a glorified scrimmage either. The guys always get excited about playing in tournament format regardless of what kind of tournament it is.

I don't think the players have any idea that teams have to pay to play in the CBI and I don't think that they're going to view it as a glorified scrimmage either. The guys always get excited about playing in tournament format regardless of what kind of tournament it is.

JUST LIKE THE PARADISE JAM!!!!

What do we have to do to make it anyway?

12-14 obviously isn't good enough and I think the most realistic scenarios have us finishing at or below .500 after the ACCT. Is that enough?

You said team, not starting lineup. Using the scoring load that came from the seniors only show how poor the young players were on that team.

In this era of modern college basketball, having five seniors and a junior seeing a lot of playing time makes you a VERY EXPERIENCED basketball team. Just concede and move on professor.

To the OP, of course you take it. Gotta let the young core of this team get more games together and maybe it will spark something for next year.

That being said, I highly doubt this team finishes at .500 or better, so this thread is a moot point.

Last edited:
Has an ACC team ever played in the CBI?

I pretty certain that Virginia played in the CBI in 07-08, because I remember being pissed off that Wellman didn't want us to play in it because it cost money, but that didn't keep the Wahoos from playing in it.

Edited to add that according to the wiki for the 08 CBI, Virginia won 2 games and made the semis before losing to Bradley.

Last edited:
Just FYI for some comparables, here's the Final Four of the 16 team CBI last year:

Pittsburgh was 17-16 (6-14), and ranked 79 per Kenpom before going 5-1 in the CBI.
Washington State was 15-16 (7-12) and ranked 129.

Oregon State was 19-14 (8-12), ranked 90 in Kenpom prior to the CBI
Butler was 20-14 (13-8 in Horizon), ranked 123 prior to heading into the CBI.

It seems possible, but not a shoo-in we'd be selected at 15-16 or 15-17 (8-11 or 8-12) if we wanted to go. I'd guess the dire financial straights many athletic departments are in would open up a spot to us if we could win 3 more games.

Back