• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

The problem with the prequels wasn't the story but the execution of the story.

Even the special effects look dated.

not sure how much you can differentiate the two. midi-chlorians were an integral part of the story and that concept sucks.

take out jar jar binks and all the other dumb ass shit and the story still blows ass.

after those three, i seriously wondered if lucas stole the ideas for the first three from someone, got credit for them, and then was like "fuck, i have to figure out how to write these prequels i promised, but i stole the other stories so what do i do?"

not sure how much you can differentiate the two. midi-chlorians were an integral part of the story and that concept sucks.

take out jar jar binks and all the other dumb ass shit and the story still blows ass.

after those three, i seriously wondered if lucas stole the ideas for the first three from someone, got credit for them, and then was like "fuck, i have to figure out how to write these prequels i promised, but i stole the other stories so what do i do?"

Yeah, if you honestly believe that the stories of the prequels weren't the problem, I implore you to go watch RedLetterMedia's video reviews of them.

I'll go into more detail later but most of the problem with the "story" is with the horrid casting of Anakin. Twice. Throw in crappy dialogue and some annoying inconsistencies like midachlorians as well. But the basic story of the rise of the Sith and empire and the cluelessness of the Jedis is good.

The story had so much potential and it just ended up being done so...so...SO horribly wrong. The casting was bad, the effects were bad, the idea for the story was good but ultimately mired with inane bullshit and unbelievable characters.

The main thing I recall from the overall storyline of the prequels was that there was something to do with trade tariffs.

lebron-puppet-facepalm.gif

I actually think Phantom Menace is ten times better than Attack of the Clones. That's not saying a lot though, and frankly, even with that said I still maintain that the entire Phantom Menace movie should have just been summed up in an opening crawl that kicked off the new trilogy that started with the older Anakin already teamed up with Obi-Wan.

My A number one biggest problem with the prequels is there is no good reason for Anakin to turn evil and when he does, it happens WAY too fast. Would have been much better if Attack of the Clones was the first movie and you see that he is troubled and you learn about his past. Second movie could have been during the Clone Wars and you could see him lose his mother, become over protective about his secret relationship with Padme and make some really questionable decisions in war time while becoming disillusioned with the Jedis. Third movie could still be Revenge of the Sith but should have had him make the turn to Darth Vader and still be human for a while before finally facing off with Obi Wan and having his anger and over confidence cause him to lose. But that's just my two cents...

I think they definitely needed to start with an older Anakin around 13 years old and stuck with the same actor for all 4 movies. They could still use Portman, but the age difference wouldn't have been as dramatic.

Also there was no reason why Ep. 3 had to end with Anakin becoming Vader. Heck, go ahead and make the Emperor's takeover and the big Obi Wan-Anakin battle as the conclusion of Ep. 2 and use Ep. 3 as the Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire and tell the early story of Darth Vader and the seeds of the rebellion. The old Clone Wars cartoon by the Samurai Jack guy and the new one that's been going on for several seasons now are evidence that there are plenty of stories that could have been told before New Hope.

also, one thing the prequel trilogy lacked is a Han Solo-type character, i.e., someone not involved with the Force. everyone in these movies (save basically Jar Jar) has ties to it, so we needed a "normal" guy in there.

also, one thing the prequel trilogy lacked is a Han Solo-type character, i.e., someone not involved with the Force. everyone in these movies (save basically Jar Jar) has ties to it, so we needed a "normal" guy in there.

2005_revenge_of_the_sith_stills_019.jpg

Back