• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Church Shooting

I wish white people would stop doing this shit

Good job, good effort, editor.

Reasonable people see that as a horrible mistake. The gun store probably sees it as fortunate timing. Advertise when people are scared and looking to firearms for safety.

yeah, but do we really want the black people in the church with guns? or just law-abidin' responsible white folk?

Reasonable people see that as a horrible mistake. The gun store probably sees it as fortunate timing. Advertise when people are scared and looking to firearms for safety.

Oh absolutely. I know a guy who owns a company that makes suppressors. He says that, while tragic, Newtown was the best thing to ever happen to his business. He has made millions in the past few years as people (a) look to firearms for their own protection, and (b) look to stock up on stuff they think may soon be banned.

suppressors are silencers, right? what is the justification for having those exactly?

suppressors are silencers, right? what is the justification for having those exactly?

latest

In a private setting? Not much. Maybe to keep the noise down at the range but everyone there is wearing headgear anyway. The guy I know developed them primary for military purposes (they use them at the range to practice with so they know how the gun reacts with it on should they ever need to use them), but then the general public started buying them too, and the public has taken over the market.
It's not like a complete silencer in the movies when it is on an AR (you'll still hear it, just not as loud) so it isn't the difference between someone getting away with a shooting or not, but yeah there aren't too many reasons a private person would need one other than it looks kind of cool.

Well, they make less noise, which is nice whether you're hunting (for you, your dog, and anyone who lives nearby), target shooting, or defending yourself. We have very conservative laws on suppressors in the US, even compared to other countries that have far more conservative gun laws overall. Contrary to hollywood's depiction, they don't make a gun anything close to silent They also make a gun much harder to carry/conceal, which is why they aren't used by criminals.

gotta have a silencer and body armor to look cool when you hit the range.

Well, they make less noise, which is nice whether you're hunting (for you, your dog, and anyone who lives nearby), target shooting, or defending yourself. We have very conservative laws on suppressors in the US, even compared to other countries that have far more conservative gun laws overall. Contrary to hollywood's depiction, they don't make a gun anything close to silent They also make a gun much harder to carry/conceal, which is why they aren't used by criminals.

I'm good with relaxing the restrictions on silencers if we toughen up the restrictions on firearms. It's a compromise.

Some good info here:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/...rs-silencers-should-be-made-easier-to-obtain#
A Democrat's guide to why firearm sound suppressors ("silencers") should be made easier to obtain.

There are already 125,000 suppressors in civilian hands, and zero of them have been used in any crime since 1934.

That article was written 8 years ago. Suppressor ownership has sky-rocketed since then, as mentioned above, in large part for the reasons mentioned as well as more states legalizing their use for hunting.

Last edited:
I didn't click the link, so sorry if this was covered in there, but do silencers leave a mark on the bullet like the gun barrel does? Like an extra mark? Is that how they know one wasn't used?

Refreshing the Buzzfeed article:

According to Spencer, Sanders died while trying to save a family member. “They said he jumped in front of his aunt or grandmother,” Spencer said. That family member was also killed in the shooting, she said.

“I’m lost, I’m lost”, her grandson, Jon Quil Lance, told The Post and Courier as he waited outside the trauma center of Medical University Hospital where the victims were being treated. He said his granny was “the heart of the family.

Also, I read somewhere that the five year old played dead at the instruction of her grandmother. That poor girl.

suppressors and large-capacity magazines and "assault rifles" are a zit on the butt of the massive gun problem we have in this country. They're fringe products and their actual use in gun crime (and accidental gun injuries/deaths) is a rounding error. banning a gun because it's black and scary looking is a kind of security theater, much like the TSA. Only way to make a dent in gun crime and violence is to go after handguns.

This whole thing just makes me incredibly sad. I've walked by that church 100 times. It is gorgeous and fits perfectly into the backdrop of Calhoun Street and that area.

I love Charleston. It is such a beautiful city. And this is so ugly.

Ugh

Last edited:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/charleston-shooting-closer-alleged-gunman-dylann-roof/story?id=31865375

Roof had been “planning something like that for six months,” according to his roommate. Dalton Tyler, who said he has known Roof for seven months to one year, said he saw the white, 21-year-old suspect just last week.
“He was big into segregation and other stuff,” Tyler said. “He said he wanted to start a civil war. He said he was going to do something like that and then kill himself.”

Back