• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Church Shooting

Holy shit that kid should not have been talking to reporters.

South Carolina doesn't have hate crime laws, but they do have the death penalty for murder. DOJ has already opened a federal hate crime investigation. Thought that the DOJ got involved in the Boston bombing because bombs were considered terrorist activities, punishable by death (which MA outlawed). What's the DOJ angle-back up in case the guy's acquitted in SC?

Hey Dalton, thanks so much for all you did to report your deranged asshole friend to the proper authorities.

I'm sure jhmd will be here soon to tell us that it's up to the moderate white people to turn in the radicalized white terrorists.

South Carolina doesn't have hate crime laws, but they do have the death penalty for murder. DOJ has already opened a federal hate crime investigation. Thought that the DOJ got involved in the Boston bombing because bombs were considered terrorist activities, punishable by death (which MA outlawed). What's the DOJ angle-back up in case the guy's acquitted in SC?

That's a waste of resources.

That's a waste of resources.

I'd like to know if Roof was part of an organization planning similar attacks in SC or anywhere else. Not sure if that's specifically a DOJ issue or not.

I hope they don't murder this fuck face as soon as he arrives in prison. He deserves to have his ass suffer.

As others have said if we want to talk gun control, you have to address handguns specifically. Handguns serve no practical use other than killing people. The US seriously needs to reconsider our philosophies around handgun ownership.

Last edited:
I'd like to know if Roof was part of an organization planning similar attacks in SC or anywhere else. Not sure if that's specifically a DOJ issue or not.

I don't think it was a conicidence that he was driving up towards Shelby are possibly even further west into the bumfuck mountain area. I think somebody told him he would have a safehouse up there.

Search his computer to find out what terrible racist forums he's been on and who he has been in contact with on those forums.

I hope they don't murder this fuck face as soon as he arrives in prison. He deserves to have his ass suffer.

As others have said if we want to talk gun control, you have to address handguns specifically. Handguns serve no practical use other than killing people. The US seriously needs to reconsider our philosophies around handgun ownership.
I'm against pretty much all firearm ownership, but I'd be ok with that compromise. A weapon that is 99% (not a researched number, so if it's only really like 90% calm down) used to kill humans, when not fired at a bunch of circles, should not be readily available in a civilized society. Simple as that.

This dude is going to be locked in a cell 23 hours a day for the rest of his life.

I'm against pretty much all firearm ownership, but I'd be ok with that compromise. A weapon that is 99% (not a researched number, so if it's only really like 90% calm down) used to kill humans, when not fired at a bunch of circles, should not be readily available in a civilized society. Simple as that.

I've said this before and people on here are like "but what about just shooting them in ranges!!1"

tough shit, we, as a society can't handle having them.

I've said this before and people on here are like "but what about just shooting them in ranges!!1"

tough shit, we, as a society can't handle having them.

The Australian compromise is very instructive. They have shooting clubs, and if you want to shoot guns at circles, fine, you join a shooting club and they store your gun there. If you are a rancher or other person with a legitimate need to shoot dangerous animals, of which there are many in Australia, you can have a reasonably sized and magazined gun to do so as long as its registered and you fill out the paperwork. You cannot claim that you need an arsenal of AR-15s to fend off the wild dogs and saltwater crocodiles, and you don't get to have handguns lying around your house where your kids can kill themselves or criminals can steal them.

I'm sure it's been said already but there's a special kind of hypocrisy of the condemning cries from government officials coming under the shadow of the Confederacy flag in South Carolina. Absolutely ridiculous.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/charleston-shooting-closer-alleged-gunman-dylann-roof/story?id=31865375

Roof had been “planning something like that for six months,” according to his roommate. Dalton Tyler, who said he has known Roof for seven months to one year, said he saw the white, 21-year-old suspect just last week.
“He was big into segregation and other stuff,” Tyler said. “He said he wanted to start a civil war. He said he was going to do something like that and then kill himself.”

Why didn't he follow his original plans and off himself? Always a shame when they don't do it. A death penalty trial and the subsequent appeals are a huge expense. Add in the $30+K/yr it costs to incarcerate him. He'll prolly get the death penalty in SC. If he doesn't, I'm guessing they have a supermax like VA does where they'll take him to break him.

Guy sounds a little bit like Tim McVeigh. McVeigh got pulled over for a minor violation (no license plate?) after the OKC bombing and calmly went to jail. He almost got released before they figured out who he was. Defense may be insanity, but wouldn't be a huge surprise if he's totally unrepentant. He wouldn't have left a witness or avoided a shootout with cops if he planned to kill himself.

Gonna be a difficult insanity sell to a jury if he's got racist comments out there given the crime IMO.

The Australian compromise is very instructive. They have shooting clubs, and if you want to shoot guns at circles, fine, you join a shooting club and they store your gun there. If you are a rancher or other person with a legitimate need to shoot dangerous animals, of which there are many in Australia, you can have a reasonably sized and magazined gun to do so as long as its registered and you fill out the paperwork. You cannot claim that you need an arsenal of AR-15s to fend off the wild dogs and saltwater crocodiles, and you don't get to have handguns lying around your house where your kids can kill themselves or criminals can steal them.

Project Exile and Project Virginia might be a feasible compromise between gun buy backs, outlawing them, and responsible ownership.

"During the first year of Project Exile (1998), homicides in Richmond declined 33%, for the lowest number since 1987, and armed robberies declined 30%. In 1999, homicides declined another 21%.[11] By 2007, homicides in Richmond were down to 57 compared to 122 in the year before Project Exile.[2]

Research analysts offered different opinions as to the program's success in reducing gun crime. Authors of a 2003 analysis of the program argued that the decline in gun homicide was part of a general regression to the mean across U.S. cities with high homicide rates.[12] Authors of a 2005 study disagreed, concluding that Richmond's gun homicide rate fell more rapidly than the rates in other large U.S. cities with other influences controlled.[13]

Project Exile, which was confined to Richmond and surrounding areas, has since been supplanted by Virginia Exile, the Commonwealth's statewide program which carries bail restrictions and imposes a mandatory minimum sentence of five years in a Virginia prison for those who:

have a prior conviction for a violent felony and are convicted of possessing a firearm;
are convicted of possessing a firearm on school property with the intent to use it, or displaying it in a threatening manner;
are convicted of possessing a firearm and Schedule I or II drugs such as cocaine or heroin, or convicted of possessing more than a pound of marijuana with the intent to sell.

"Project Exile was a federal program started in Richmond, Virginia in 1997. Project Exile shifted the prosecution of illegal technical gun possession offenses to federal court, where they carried a mandatory minimum sentence of five years in federal prison under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, rather than in state court. Note that federal law (18 U.S.C. sec. 922 & 924) provides for a penalty of ten years in federal prison for being a "prohibited person" i.e. a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, as well as for falsifying information in order to obtain one, or furnishing a gun to a convicted felon."

Back