• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Church Shooting

Flags don't kill people, but guns do.

The NRA has to be happy once again that there is now debate about a side issue, i.e. the Confederate flag this time, mental illness other times, rather than the regulation of firearms.
The only way to stop gun violence is by arming people with more guns

Nikki Haley:

What are the chances this actually gets the votes necessary in the General Assembly?

Honestly, it has to.

What are the chances this actually gets the votes necessary in the General Assembly?
I'd be surprised if it doesn't pass. One of their own members got killed. The old timers are gone. No good reason to keep it.

I will be shocked if it doesn't get the votes, the whole state will be paying attention to whomever votes against it.

Honestly, it has to.

The local paper is asking politicians if the flag should come down and tracking their answers. While I had the page open, all the "no's" changed to "undecided."

edit: I meant to include the link. And I think I was wrong, the House still has no answers, none in the Senate.

Link

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if it doesn't pass. One of their own members got killed. The old timers are gone. No good reason to keep it.

Yeah. It's been 15 years since this was seriously debated and even then it was closely contested. You have to think opinion has shifted and the two most well know Pubs giving cover makes me think it will not even be that close.

Exactly. And it still can be flown on private property. So the Shoney's across the street can fly it.

You've got to be a real asshole to fly that flag at this point

Correct me if I am wrong but the confederate flag didn't really become that prevalent until segregation was contested. Hard to argue it is about heritage when it was basically ignored for nearly 100 years until black folks had the nerve to as for equal rights.

Correct me if I am wrong but the confederate flag didn't really become that prevalent until segregation was contested. Hard to argue it is about heritage when it was basically ignored for nearly 100 years until black folks had the nerve to as for equal rights.

The contentious flag (diagonal crosses) was the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia (Lee). It's been part of the Mississippi state flag since the 1890s. The battle flag didn't become widely used until the '60s as defiant resistance to integration. The current Georgia flag was recently (-2003) redesigned and it closely mimics the official CSA flag. The battle flag is the one in dispute because of how and when it was deployed and not how it was used 150 years ago.

South Carolina did not fly the confederate flag on the Capitol until the 60s. It was put up as a big F U to the civil rights movement, which adds an even bigger level disgust to it.

The woman's watch on the inside of the right wrist is an unusual touch as well.

There's another pic of this guy waving the battle flag while he has a green towel tucked underneath a floppy women's hat from the '70s. Not exactly a sharp dressed man...

Back