• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

Home Team is so, so meh. The only thing worth a damn is the wings.

I'm so fired up for the new Q joints. I turned into a legitimate BBQ snob during my time in NC.

Unless you're talking about the home team in West ashley (which sucks) then this opinion is sooooo wrong. The HT on Sullivan's is on point on just about everything I've ever had, including pulled pork.

Not to brag, but I'm a man
Haha, me too but I like to split it up amongst all they offer e.g. half lb of brisket and two hot guts links plus a side.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've never been to Oak. If it's just a couple of people you can sit at the bar at Hall's pretty easily. Grill 225 is legit.

Never been there either. I do usualy go out for steak in Charleston. A local would be more helpful for sure.

Sister wants a steak dinner. Hall's is booked for two weeks. Oak?

Oak is very good; had a very nice dinner there a while back.

Haven't been to Burwells.

Biffs Grill 225 suggestion is a good one.

If all else fails, I guess you could go to Ruth Chris.

Oak is very good; had a very nice dinner there a while back.

Haven't been to Burwells.

Biffs Grill 225 suggestion is a good one.

If all else fails, I guess you could go to Ruth Chris.

Biff's Ruth's Chris ain't happening. I'll see how fancy of a place she wants. Might do Oak or Burwell's. She mentioned Peninsula Grill.

Burwells is good, I like Grill 225 as well

If you want super fancy, 225

If you want a little more laid back but still good steak, Burwells

Oak is delicious. Would recommend. It's not as good as Hall's, but there are probably 5 steak restaurants in the country that are

Ate at Mex 1 Saturday, ehh, just okay. Had dinner at Fiery Ron's, which was good. Ate at the Sea Biscuit Cafe, good. Dinner last night at Hanks's, great.

Update on the Charleston trip. Mamacita tacos > Mex 1. Ate at Burwells last night. Really disappointing. Least flavorful steak any of us had had. Sides were just okay. Had lunch at Leon's. Overall, it was pretty good. Okra and Brussels sprouts were good. But I was expecting better fried chicken from a place that calls itself Leon's Fine Poultry and Oysters. There are at least two places in Cincinnati with better fried chicken.

Most of us enjoyed Husk. I thought it was intricately done and well put together. Poe's was good. Hominy was good. I'd say, overall, Hanks is the all around winner so far. Still hoping to hit Lewis.

Further update on Charleston eats. Ate at the Hall's bar on Friday night. Packed, good scene. Food was vastly better than Burwell's. Steak and sides were great. I'd definitely go back. (But it's a bit of hyperbole to say that only maybe 5 steakhouses in the country are better. The Jeff Ruby restaurants in Cincinnati are equivalent if not a slight step above. Chicago and NYC restaurants would of course also be fantastic.)

Got to Lewis BBQ on Saturday. Arrived at 8 and unfortunately they were out of sliced brisket and only chopped brisket, which is comprised of the burnt ends left. Got a couple ribs, the brisket, and pork. All were good. I'd really like to try the sliced brisket at some point. Pulled pork was very good, as were the sauces and sides.

On Isle of Palms, there was this little organic frozen yogurt place - Island Ice Frozen Yogurt. This was kind of a random foray but I was surprised by how good it was. I've been to a few Frozen Yogurt places before but the organic nature of the stuff here really seemed to make a difference. Not only was it better for you, it was way better tasting than other froyo places I've ventured.

Does anybody have any experiences to share about the Amtrak from Charleston to Savannah, even if it's just "fine"? I'll be down in Charleston in the spring for a few days before a wedding in Savannah and the train looks like a decent option over renting a car and somewhat cheap/convenient but I want to make sure we won't get absolutely boned by it consistently running late or something.

Any thoughts on Sorghum & Salt ?

Anybody visited Rappahannock Oyster Bar?

There is good food in the Charleston area. Can confirm.

Moving to Chucktown at the end of May. Heading down there this weekend to look for housing in the Charleston downtown area.

Shit's expensive compared to Winston.

Back