• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston

Modz - can we get this thread merged with the other Charleston thread? Same questions coming up, so there's no need for two threads.

Only meal not dictated by the wedding I'm going to is Friday lunch. I've been to Charleston a bunch but I always go on the cheap side for lunch (or to Poe's). Nicer lunch recs? Should I just go to Poes anyway?

Honestly, if the weather is nice, why wouldn't you go to Poe's? Or Hometeam? Hard to beat the sunshine and smell of the ocean on a nice spring day.

However, if you want nice, you could go to SNOB. Hall's bought out all the Maverick Collection restaurants; no telling on what changes may come, but SNOB is the house Frank Lee built. May be worth going there before any potential changes.

Modz - can we get this thread merged with the other Charleston thread? Same questions coming up, so there's no need for two threads.

Nah. Time for a new thread. Some of the answers have changed.

Jason Stanhope, Executive Chef at FIG, wins James Beard award for Best Chef: Southeast.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/...tanhope-wins-james-beards-best-chef-southeast

We tuned in for the James Beard livestream to see if Charleston nominees — FIG and McCrady's for Oustanding Wine Program, FIG Executive Chef Jason Stanhope for Best Chef: Southeast, and McCrady's, Husk, and Minero's Chef Sean Brock for Outstanding Chef — would take home a medal. Here are the results:

FIG and McCrady's lost out to San Francisco's A16 for Outstanding Wine Program.
But Stanhope now joins the super exclusive crew of Brock, Mike Lata (FIG and The Ordinary's chef/co-owner), and Robert Stehling (Hominy Grill's chef/owner) as one of Charleston's fraternity of Best Chef: Southeast winners. Stanhope beat out John Fleer (Rhubarb, Asheville, NC); Edward Lee (610 Magnolia, Louisville, KY); Steven Satterfield (Miller Union, Atlanta); Andrew Ticer and Michael Hudman (Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen, Memphis); and Tandy Wilson (City House, Nashville).

Probably something at FIG. Reservations can only be made starting 30 days out. I have known people to get lucky with bar seating though.

Decided this morning on a last minute trip this weekend with my wife for our birthdays. Thinking of grabbing a reservation somewhere but stopping by FIG first to see if there's room at the bar.

I'm hitting up Edmund's Oast for the first time over Memorial Day (Sunday, May 24, 8 PM, Tannen Party).

How was it?

Last edited:
Just make sure you park the car near the front if you want a decent tip.

I'll let you know when I get back from the future in my DeLorean Butthead.

RIP

45_1.jpg

So, I've been able to grab last minute reservations at MacIntosh, Obstinate Daughter (never been), Poogan's Porch and McCrady's (never been). Out of those 4, any recs? If it makes any difference, we're staying downtown and we'll have our 6 week old daughter with us. I'm leaning McCrady's.

McCrady's
Obstinate if you want Italian, MacIntosh if you want more variety
Poogan's

in that order. and i would rather do Poogan's for brunch

I don't like Poogan's and have stopped recommending it to people based on a couple of underwhelming experiences. I think they're riding on reputation at this point.

McCrady's is hard to pass on if you've never been. Macintosh gets LOUD at prime time; probably the least family friendly for that reason if you're dealing with a 6 week old.

McCrady's has moved away from the three course prix fixe, but pretty much anything there is good.

I recommend the Mussels and Gnocchi at Obstinate

MacIntosh i think i had a cut of beef but remember the truffle fries as being tasty.

I'd go with The MacIntosh, but not with a 6-month old. If you like brisket, you have to go with the deckle dish there.
McCrady's is a cool space and you'll enjoy it there for sure. It's just a great restaurant.
OD is kind of a long way if you're staying downtown unless you really just want to go to Sullivans Island and hang out. The pasta dishes are really good there, cool space. Fresh oysters too.

I would only go to Poogan's for brunch, but MacIntosh also has a great brunch.

I don't like Poogan's and have stopped recommending it to people based on a couple of underwhelming experiences. I think they're riding on reputation at this point.

McCrady's is hard to pass on if you've never been. Macintosh gets LOUD at prime time; probably the least family friendly for that reason if you're dealing with a 6 week old.
6 weeks it's easy though. Stick her in the carrier and put her under the table. :)

Back