• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte Country Clubs

wfufb2014

Reaction score
Looking at joining one of the following clubs. Things important to me would be (in order): golf, pool, food/clubhouse, tennis. New to the area - what are the local thoughts on them / any other clubs within this range and area of town that we should look at? Thanks!

Raintree

Firethorne

Piper Glen

Njrp.gif

I don't know much about those clubs. I probably haven't played Raintree in 25 years and only played Piper Glen a couple of times. But if you're looking in that area I'd check out Cedarwood and Providence too.

Providence member here. Would highly recommend, although it's a haul for me to get down there (I live close to town). Sounds like you'll likely be in that general area. You also get (relatively) unlimited access to 11 other great clubs including Sedgefield, Old North State, etc. Course at Providence went through a $3 million renovation in 2018 that greatly improved the layout and especially the greens (used to be garbage). They were rolling at a 12.3 the other day.

Not fan of ClubCorp clubs (unless you travel a ton for work, perhaps), nor of the course at Piper Glen. Like the course at Firethorne a bit better. Raintree is really nice that you have two courses to choose from, although the membership is massive and some of the amenities a bit dated. Don't care for the North course too much, but really like the South.

Unless you're looking for one of the new member "deals" the ClubCorp clubs sometimes offer, I'd go with Raintree of the three you mentioned. But check out Providence. Not really sure on how the food compares, but the pool and tennis facilities (recent $$$ upgrades there as well) are significantly nicer at PCC than the other three IMHO. Cedarwood is another solid option for golf, less so for the other amenities (don't think they have tennis and pool is small/older).

Choosing a country club is a bit less first world problems and more 1%er problems.

Choosing a country club is a bit less first world problems and more 1%er problems.

Nah. A lot of clubs cost less than a used boat with similar annual maintenance costs and greater usage.

maybe not 1%er, but probably like 5%er problems

Probably higher than that. Some people like golf, some people like boats, some people travel, some people spend thousands of dollars a year on travel baseball or soccer. Cedarwood is a $7,500 initiation and $500 a month for all the golf, tennis, and swimming you can stand. And a lot of clubs include a gym membership that would cost you $100+ a month too.

yeah, looked into it further

probably somewhere around top quintile or so of households

I’m a member of a Club Corp club in Atlanta that does not have a golf facility but can use other facilities.

I’ve never actually been to a different club.

That’s basically a new car purchase for cedarwood. If you think that ones bad, don’t look up the initiation for the older Charlotte clubs

Back