• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte Country Clubs

Depending on how serious you are about your golf, Carolina Golf Club is probably where you'll find the best competition. I've always said I would join there if I lived in CLT, but that was before I saw Charlotte CC a couple years ago for the first time in almost 20 years. Obvious cost difference, but CCC is just a fantastic layout and a blast to play.

Biff - are you at Myers or Carmel?

Yeah, CGC has the best overall quality of golfers in town, I think. Was planning to join there before McConnell bought Providence. The Quail/Charlotte debate is an interesting one, and I'm not sure where I fall. Completely different courses that are both awesome in different ways. Typically I prefer the old school Donald Ross style, but I think I may like Quail better overall. Only played CCC once though (last year).

I don't understand how Myers Park works with such a massive membership and only one course. Have heard they have to do lotteries on nice weather weekends to see who even gets desirable times. That sounds miserable, if true.

Webb Simpson and Johnson Wagner are members at Quail, so there's that.

I think Wagner kept a dual membership with Quail and CGC for awhile.

I was thinking about what drives country club choices for us...when I was younger I really wanted to join a high profile place like Old Town or Forsyth, but my budget wasn't even remotely in that range so I went with cheap options. Now that I'm older and in a better position to afford a more expensive club, I have zero desire to do so. It's all about the quality of practice facilities and the golfers, and somehow little Maple Chase has held up very well in that regard.

Isn’t there a couple year wait list at Providence? I’m probably going to start networking in somewhere around here, tired of only playing Ballantyne/driving to Pinehurst.

Proximity and where your friends are should also be important drivers after cost. I once got advice that you should drive to the club, now pretend you needed to go home and get something - your clubs, a change of clothes, whatever; and drive back. If it's too far for your sensibilities, you might want to reconsider.

And wait lists have a certain ebb and flow to them. They're usually not nearly as long as perceived because people die, people drop out because their income has dropped off, people change their mind about joining when they get to the moment of truth, and people drop off the waiting list for whatever reason. The club's membership process can also play into this as some are streamlined and move people through the process in a generally linear and chronological order, whereas some clubs have a big letter-writing requirement and the membership committee only sends your application through when they're satisfied that you're right for membership. Obviously that allows them to get the "best" candidates in first and this is the more traditional way of admitting members.

Last edited:
Back