• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte FC / MLS Thread

FC Dallas taking a 25 year old defender who can't defend at 6 is interesting. They're generally good with talent identification though, so I have no idea what to think.

I think Cincy picking a GK at 2 has set them back even further. I have no idea what they were thinking.

The other very surprising pick was NYRB moving up to take the kid from the Naval Academy. He was likely there at their regular draft position and if he wasn't, there are plenty of players of similar caliber. However, not all are 6'8s, maybe they are thinking he's a kid that can either develop and contribute or be available for 10 minutes in close games to nick a goal on a dead ball.

dookie Icelander has me at odds with my Icelandiphile self

Isn’t he that prick who was egging on the other team and got laid out?

Preseason starts this week and Charlotte FC currently have zero DPs and no MLS caliber attackers. Good stuff Tepps. You've only had two years.

Was worried these foreign agent guys didn't understand MLS when they were hired to run the front office.

I get selling McGree for a huge profit, but can we focus on buying some attackers? If not this team will be FC Cincy awful.

And let’s not gloss over the fact multiple players still are having visa issues and haven’t stepped foot into the States. And now we are training at BoA instead of Clemson due to travel issues. This certainly seems like a shitshow.

I saw that Joe LaBue was named President of Charlotte FC. He was our ticket guy for the Panthers up through the pandemic. So that gives me good reason to believe that he knows how to run a soccer team. Apparently Ted and Coach Beard were not available.

Charlotte is in for a really long year. Austin demonstrated how hard it is to come in and be competitive even when you try and build a decent year 1 team these days. Charlotte looks like a collection of misfit toys. At least they'll play in the East which has less total depth (although some teams - like Chicago and Toronto - are working to change that).

They’re horrendous. Awful everything. While I have issues with MLS management, it doesn’t seem our current front office understands anything having to do with the league. More importantly, this team is trash and lacks goal scorers.

They’re horrendous. Awful everything. While I have issues with MLS management, it doesn’t seem our current front office understands anything having to do with the league. More importantly, this team is trash and lacks goal scorers.

It seems like our FO has the foreign attitude that they know better than other MLS teams. It seems we thought we can always spend our way out of it and worry down the road that every foreign team does but that’s not how MLS works. In the words of MAR… we’re fucked.

It seems like our FO has the foreign attitude that they know better than other MLS teams. It seems we thought we can always spend our way out of it and worry down the road that every foreign team does but that’s not how MLS works. In the words of MAR… we’re fucked.

Nail. Head.

Nail. Head.

It can take some time frankly. Not giving them an excuse, but I've seen it.
Transfers for foreign players are not easy to pull off and often don't happen in MLS until well after the season has started bc our calendar is skewed. So the "foreign" tude thing may be true, but they also could just be surprised how hard it is to get a transfer done. That's especially true with DP's. MN I think waited several months before bringing in Reynoso from Boca.

So while your team may blow now, come June some significant reinforcement might arrive.

Other thing is if a foreign DP does not work pretty quickly they likely never will. League is tougher physically than some of these guys expect or are used to. Some of them don't adapt to it even if they are coming from a league with a fast pace of play. High risk/high reward.

Back