• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte FC / MLS Thread

That tackle from Vela prolly a red not in the championship. What’s he thinking?

a fun job would be the guy counting for stoppage time where I would double the time added for all time-wasting activities

So, Charlotte FC supporters - how do we feel about Dean Smith? I recognize his name from his time in the Premier League, but I know nothing about him or his tactics.

okay but what happened??

He did something so horrible he had to be thrown out of the league midseason with his teaming chasing Supporters' Shield. And now he's being immediately reinstated now that the season is over and will likely sign with another team before the Revs have even found his replacement. Must have been realllllly serious.

I don’t like it

I really don't like it, but at the same time it was never a priority for most teams and with the Leagues Cup it would be even less so. Sucks if it kills the tournament but it could also become a bigger deal for the non MLS sides I guess.

I enjoyed the leagues cup but I don’t love that it’s not spread out throughout the season like the US Open Cup

scheduling with Liga MX makes it impossible to do that but I didn’t love the full month break from MLS

I enjoyed the leagues cup but I don’t love that it’s not spread out throughout the season like the US Open Cup

scheduling with Liga MX makes it impossible to do that but I didn’t love the full month break from MLS
Yeah I think Leagues Cup still needs a lot of work but I think it was the final nail in the coffin for US Open Cup which makes little money for MLS teams. Seems like the history of it wasn't enough to make up for that. Concacaf Champions Cup should be the major season long tournament in my opinion. I don't mind a summer break for the Leagues Cup but 3 team groups and all US home games takes away the intrigue for me.

I don’t remember exactly but I have a buddy who worked for Leagues Cup this past year and confirmed that.

Essentially, I think it boils down to:
-Mexican club fans who live in the US have a lot more disposable income and rarely get to see their club play in person. Therefore, they can set significantly higher ticket and merch prices than if the same match were in Mexico.
-TV rights are more valuable for matches in the US. More US residents watching = higher income levels = more valuable eyeballs.

I think gate revenue is split between the teams but not 100% sure.

I want to say Leagues Cup is owned by the leagues and thus the teams in them. All revenue is split equally among the teams, with some bonuses going to teams that advance.

makes sense

the Fire-Club America game was like 90% Aguilas fans

didn't realize they split the gate revenue 50/50

makes sense

the Fire-Club America game was like 90% Aguilas fans

didn't realize they split the gate revenue 50/50
Yeah it may not be gate revenue but as WFU03 said above there's definitely money sharing happening to make it more worthwhile to play in packed US stadiums rather than playing in less profitable Mexican stadiums.

Back