• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 1331: Just talkin’ chickens. This is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure if you include in that definition that one person's outcome is connected to another person's opportunity most commonly through the family. So that definition doesn't really distinguish between outcome and opportunity.

We'll see how scooter weighs in as well since he brought it up.

Well that’s where equity comes in- to balance out historical advantages.

We need to find the very first post on the yahoo boards if it still exists somewhere in a server.

That would be a banger.

Is 2&2 hefty? Because I met a dude in a Wake football shirt down here and I imagined he was 2&2.

Have invitations to return gone out to all those that quit the boards because of RJ?

Given by who? If they're given by someone else, those opportunities are merely someone else's outcome. And that's a generational cycle.

School funding is often determined by local property taxes which vary depending on neighborhood wealth. Who lives where is an outcome. Based on your framework, equitable funding would be taking away people's outcomes to pay for other people's opportunities.

Equality of opportunity just means there are no artificial barriers favoring one group or groups over others. People are born into all kinds of different situations - giving them different starting points. We all won the lottery already by being born in the modern U.S., for example. But when you are talking about some people born into generational wealth and others born into poverty, there is no reasonable way to ensure them equality of outcome - but you can make sure there is nothing preventing the person born poor from raising themselves into a better situation. If that includes providing financial safety nets and support for education or job training or whatever, even better.

Both my parents were born poor, especially my father. He had to sell rabbit skins to buy books in order to finish HS. He somehow managed to eventually talk, and bluff, and work his way into executive jobs by the time he was in his 50s. I was the first person in my family to go to college. In 2 generations our family went from subsistence farmers who lived in a tiny clapboard house built with their own hands to a professional with three degrees and a nice house in the suburbs. We are far from rich but the contrast is striking.

I say that to point out that, even though the odds were against him, there were no artificial barriers in the way of my father's advancement - he was a white male. Ideally, there would be no reason anyone couldn't do what he did. I know times are different and these issues are way complicated but that is my simplistic view.

I was poor and didn't work hard at all, cheated alot through high school, got into wake and didn't go to 1/3rd of the classes but it was half free college and half loans that weren't too bad ($30-40k), but 10 years later these kids coming out with loans like $150k and they're just fucked.

My best friend growing up was just as poor, not quite as good of grades or SAT score, but still strong enough to get into GT (which was his dream school, to go engineering). I think the only difference between our two situations is my dad went to UVA so I always just assumed I'd go to the ACC. I even got into UVA as 10th in my class with a 3.5 GPA, when our Valedictorian with a 4.0 GPA didn't get into UVA.

So Legacy made a difference as well as just the expectation of me applying to an ACC school, and I ended up doing so. I don't think my best friend even applied for GT, I think he just assumed he couldn't afford it and/or his parents didn't really push him. Ended up going the community school route like his parents did and he has been a manager at a local pest control company with 3 kids and spent 10 years living with his mother in law.

Last edited:
Pretty disappointing that RJKarl got banned and I had nothing to do with it.

Can they at least reinstate his pm privileges for a little bit. Because I’m like 50/50 he was actually gonna leave me his inheritance and I need to get him my personal info.

Can they at least reinstate his pm privileges for a little bit. Because I’m like 50/50 he was actually gonna leave me his inheritance and I need to get him my personal info.

Just have your wife PM him on Facebook. Apparently that’s where he goes to talk shit about the mods here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back