• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 1331: Just talkin’ chickens. This is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ While funny who the hell took the time to set up that Twitter account? Is it automated or is somebody copying and pasting 24K posts? Because that's wild. Also what did RJ do this time to get banned? Can somebody at least tell me the thread to check out.

Before that though I read back through the last 100 or so posts that I missed and enjoyed the nuanced and balanced conversation. To add my anecdote; I'm 34, started working full time at 22 and have spent 6 years working in both the private and public sectors. From my experience "workers" from both sectors are largely the same. Some work hard, some don't. Some care about their jobs and career advancement, some don't. Most are overeducated in the liberal arts sense, but undereducated in the skills needed to succeed in their vocation. The myth that private sector employees are more efficient or productive is ludicrous.

I mean Christ look at these message boards, whats the percentage of people on here who post during working hours who are privately or publicly employed? 75/25, 80/20? I know that I actually post far less at work as a teacher than I did when I sat at a desk and look at spreadsheets or whatever all day. Mainly because during 3/4 of my day I'm actually interacting and working with students, not just staring at a screen and figuring out how to stretch 2-3 hours of work into 7-8 hours.

There is legitimate economics literature on a height tax, because being tall is such an advantage.

Add a thin tax, a good looks tax, and a not-jerking-off-3-times-daily tax, and the CT crew will be in hog heaven. Summon the dwarf council.

^ While funny who the hell took the time to set up that Twitter account? Is it automated or is somebody copying and pasting 24K posts? Because that's wild. Also what did RJ do this time to get banned? Can somebody at least tell me the thread to check out.

Before that though I read back through the last 100 or so posts that I missed and enjoyed the nuanced and balanced conversation. To add my anecdote; I'm 34, started working full time at 22 and have spent 6 years working in both the private and public sectors. From my experience "workers" from both sectors are largely the same. Some work hard, some don't. Some care about their jobs and career advancement, some don't. Most are overeducated in the liberal arts sense, but undereducated in the skills needed to succeed in their vocation. The myth that private sector employees are more efficient or productive is ludicrous.

I mean Christ look at these message boards, whats the percentage of people on here who post during working hours who are privately or publicly employed? 75/25, 80/20? I know that I actually post far less at work as a teacher than I did when I sat at a desk and look at spreadsheets or whatever all day. Mainly because during 3/4 of my day I'm actually interacting and working with students, not just staring at a screen and figuring out how to stretch 2-3 hours of work into 7-8 hours.

The thread is on District 13.

RJ wholly deserved his ban, but I can't help but feel bad for him. He obviously cared tremendously about his reputation and the attention he received on this board. Without a wife or children, I suppose it's natural to place more emphasis on alternate social outlets, although he clearly did so here to an unhealthy degree. I've said before that I thought he had the potential to be a good poster; with his connection to Wake that pre-dates almost all of ours and a large number of interesting (if exaggerated) anecdotes, he could have been fun and entertaining.

His problem is that he's a perpetual child. I read an opinion piece on CNN a few months ago about Trump, and it could have been describing RJ: "Trump, you see, is incapable of self-reflection. Or of accepting blame. Therefore he is endlessly in search of scapegoats for any "wrong" that befalls him. Nothing is ever his fault. It is always the fault of those who have somehow betrayed him. And everyone -- with the notable exception of those to whom he is related by blood and marriage -- eventually betrays him."

I remember maybe a year or so ago when Mako, whom I believe RJ would consider one of his closest "board allies" (and I have no doubt RJ actually thinks in those terms) made a very frank and well-intentioned post pointing out some of RJ's bad behavior and urging him to fix it. Rather than considering the source and tone of the post and engaging in some much-needed self-reflection, RJ immediately played the victim card, blamed his so-called antagonists, and accused Mako of... something... disloyalty maybe. It's something that's played out dozens of times over the years I've been on the boards. Every apology is hedged with "but they were worse" or "but you won't see them apologizing to me" or "look at what a noble person I am." Every criticism is unfounded and grounded in a conspiracy against him. Every slap on the wrist is the result of bias against him and unfair treatment. This is a guy who made a list of "usual suspects" that had to have eventually numbered 30 or more posters, and legitimately thought that those 30 posters were completely and utterly at-fault in any confrontation with him and that he had never done anything wrong to turn them into usual suspects in the first place.

The problem with dealing with children is that, eventually, even the most tolerant adult will eventually become exasperated. Occasional exasperation is fine when the child has enough sense to keep his head down and stay out of sight when needed. When that child is ubiquitous and doesn't have enough sense to know when to shut up, though, he's asking for trouble. RJ found that out to his sorrow. I wish I could say the boards will be worse off for that, but, given that he's never shown any signs of growing up, I doubt that they will be.

OGB thanks for the heads up, I never think to scroll down and check out District 13. Your description of RJ is spot on, reading about his continued online harassment of mods and his usage and defense of a racial epithet is just sad. It's time for him to go. This place is too toxic for him and everyone else who gets caught up in his shit.

i'm fine with the ban; the thread derailments were the worst but I do blame other posters for not just ignoring him most of the time.

I feel bad for the old guy but the dude had no sense of humor or self awareness and didn't know when to quit

I've been posting the better part of 15 years and I was definitely pro-rj for the first like ten or so, but OGB nailed it -- his lack of self-reflection and just constant derailing made this a less pleasant place in its function as a message board

I no doubt give this place an outsized place in my life, but I am glad that rj is no longer here

It is pretty heavy handed, what’s the list of other permabans: Rulz, Canadiandeac, Lectro, BKF, what a list.

going back to our public/private sector discussion, I tried to go to the DMV this morning and got there about 15 minutes before they scheduled to open, but the line was already 100+ people long so I left

there are three full-service DMVs in the entire city of Chicago, a city of over 2 million people

this is exactly what I was talking about -- yeah, the DMV sucks, but how could it not suck given the situation they've been put in?

going back to our public/private sector discussion, I tried to go to the DMV this morning and got there about 15 minutes before they scheduled to open, but the line was already 100+ people long so I left

there are three full-service DMVs in the entire city of Chicago, a city of over 2 million people

this is exactly what I was talking about -- yeah, the DMV sucks, but how could it not suck given the situation they've been put in?

surely the answer is fewer employees

The Pale King by David Foster Wallace is the best treatment of the IRS, fictional or nonfictional, ever put to paper.

RJ sent me an irate PM two weeks ago because I made a joke about Matta not passing the health screening for Wake's insurance group plan last year and that's why we didn't land him as HC. Some how that was a personal attack on RJ and I was deemed a new member of the "Usual Suspects." That dude had has issues and I think cutting his access to the board will ultimate be good for his mental health.

yeah. I've posted before about the length of time getting my son's SSN. We completed the adoption late last year, got his birth certificate at the end of January (after paying for the expedited service). Immediately applied for a SSN, which you have to do by mail. Two weeks after sending in the form I got the original documents back (my passport, his birth certificate, adoption paperwork). Then two weeks after that I got a form to sign giving the Social Security office permission to write the Vital Records office in Raleigh to verify the birth certificate. Why they couldn't have sent that back with the other documents I don't know -- or included it as part of the form you send in the first place. do what you gotta do, you have my permission as exhibited by me mailing in these things to you.

They submitted that paperwork the first week of March and it takes 6 weeks for Raleigh to get back to them, verifying a document that they had mailed to me. So we'll be lucky if we get this all done before the newly extended tax deadline.

I'm all for government services, but it's clear that gutted agencies are no help to anybody.

Derailing discussions is one thing but geez the constant, desperate “jokes” on every thread on every topic. And seemed to be increasing. Like a “Speed” situation, if he didnt attempt 10 jokes a minute something will explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back