• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 165: A shrewdness of apes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know it's a terrible way to think about it, but it's kinda hard to kill a kid

fuck em up for life, sure, that's probably easy

give em a complex, definitely

but human kids are pretty hearty, evolutionarily speaking

hardy?

i like the way you think language evolves, revolutionarily speaking

i don't generally believe in such things as guilty pleasures because #youdoyou but florence and the machine is a perfect example

i hate that i like their music

it's objectively mediocre and i enjoy it regardless

i know it's a terrible way to think about it, but it's kinda hard to kill a kid

fuck em up for life, sure, that's probably easy

give em a complex, definitely

but human kids are pretty hearty, evolutionarily speaking

Humans are remarkably resilient.

Something often lost on the Millennial generation.

i don't generally believe in such things as guilty pleasures because #youdoyou but florence and the machine is a perfect example

i hate that i like their music

it's objectively mediocre and i enjoy it regardless

How does one objectively adjudicate the quality of music?

How does one objectively adjudicate the quality of music?

i guess insofar as the rubric i use is my own, there's always going to be a layer of subjectivity, not to mention my own [classically] untrained ear is clearly flawed and probably biased towards western/northern hemisphere structures

but i would say objectively i count in equal parts technical quality of instrumentation, lyrics, song structure, and the je ne sais quoi "it factor" where you just know it's a hit or not

so the reason i count off florence and the machine is partially the platitudes of their lyrical content and the generally melodramatic atmospheres

i still like them as competent songwriters, she has a great voice, and they write catchy stuff i can listen to closely or in the background and like

i guess insofar as the rubric i use is my own, there's always going to be a layer of subjectivity, not to mention my own [classically] untrained ear is clearly flawed and probably biased towards western/northern hemisphere structures

but i would say objectively i count in equal parts technical quality of instrumentation, lyrics, song structure, and the je ne sais quoi "it factor" where you just know it's a hit or not

so the reason i count off florence and the machine is partially the platitudes of their lyrical content and the generally melodramatic atmospheres

i still like them as competent songwriters, she has a great voice, and they write catchy stuff i can listen to closely or in the background and like

so honest question: do people from india hear american music and think "holy crap there's no melody or rhythm to that AT ALL!"

This could be pasted into the Pretentious Shit thread and it would fit perfectly.

i always think of berman and the crew rocking out to that song in someone's camry. damn that commercial.

so honest question: do people from india hear american music and think "holy crap there's no melody or rhythm to that AT ALL!"

this gets into some (IMO) really fascinating territory - chomsky's ideas about language being pre-developmental have definitely gotten into some music theory that says that music is essentially natural and sort of transcends human structures

meter and notation transcends culture, but i think arithmetic time signatures are a western convention whereas classical indian "raga" is more based around melody and scale than time

gtm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back