• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2021: huge historic day today ! you are living history congrats !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to try that Malcolm X fraud thing at my local Harris Teeter this afternoon so TKory will recognize my baller staus.

For those of you who do go into the office, what additional value apart from a quiet place and good internet does that provide?

Shared institutional knowledge and direct supervision.

Better printer. Four screens.

well biff you live in myers park and can afford your groceries so it's missing an important subversive element and therefore not baller sorry

So what am I going to do with this $20 I just wrote Malcolm X on then ?

Shared institutional knowledge and direct supervision.

Better printer. Four screens.

Feels like these are done well digitally/remotely as well. Do you mean just informal conversation in the hallway is useful in terms of knowledge sharing? Agree with that. Direct supervision mehhh. If the people who work for you aren't getting it done, it's not because you aren't watching.

man I have a real craving for Shophouse, the Asian restaurant Chipotle was piloting in DC but ultimately decided not to expand. that shit was delicious. pork meatballs in a curry sauce with some charred green beans, pickled veg and papaya salad. any DC Deacs eat there?

RIP, died a couple years ago

For those of you who do go into the office, what additional value apart from a quiet place and good internet does that provide?

I'm in manufacturing, so quality assurance is the main reason. I like to physically touch and view any of the products I sell before we send them out the door.

Feels like these are done well digitally/remotely as well. Do you mean just informal conversation in the hallway is useful in terms of knowledge sharing? Agree with that. Direct supervision mehhh. If the people who work for you aren't getting it done, it's not because you aren't watching.

Yes to the informal conversation. Lawyer friends have said that's been a big deal for them.

I have a 23-year old recently hired Analyst from NC State. He needs supervision.

You really have had a meteoric rise in boards prominence over the last 2 years. This needs not go unnoticed. You're definitely a main character these days.

An accomplishment you should no doubt be extremely proud of, mako. Amongst the taller midgets, as it were.

Unrelated - I hear January is generally thought of as a good time for self-reflection and re-evaluating one's life priorities.

Food for thought.

I'm in manufacturing, so quality assurance is the main reason. I like to physically touch and view any of the products I sell before we send them out the door.

Yes to the informal conversation. Lawyer friends have said that's been a big deal for them.

I have a 23-year old recently hired Analyst from NC State. He needs supervision.

sounds like problems of delegation and micromanagement to me (without knowing much detail about the specifics of what each of you do)

i was a fairly shit worker for a couple years early in my career for lack of focus, motivation, what have you (stark alienation of labor) but i don't think having a boss staring over my shoulder made much of a difference, i'd just do busy work and not meaningfully proactively contribute

something had to click with me for me to start trying more than the bare minimum, idk

Well if he only does the bare minimum he'll be out on his ass, so I'm really doing him a favor.

I mean it quite literally when I say I never want to work from home a single day in my life after the last 12 months.

I guess I'm very lucky that my first management position involves supervising extremely high performing individuals.

Still, even sharing 1000 sq ft with a baby and dog and wife using the laundry machine and dishwasher and doing workout classes and such things (and a less than perfect internet access and comfortable working space) my ideal return to normalcy still only has one day a week in the office. The commute is just such an unnecessary waste of time and energy.

More crucially, I find a work-life balance by working in 2-3 hr stretches punctuated by exercise or household chores or errands or just reading/watching TV. It keeps me focused while I am working and keeps me from burning out during a 9 hr workday.

sounds like problems of delegation and micromanagement to me (without knowing much detail about the specifics of what each of you do)

i was a fairly shit worker for a couple years early in my career for lack of focus, motivation, what have you (stark alienation of labor) but i don't think having a boss staring over my shoulder made much of a difference, i'd just do busy work and not meaningfully proactively contribute

something had to click with me for me to start trying more than the bare minimum, idk

congrats on conquering working from home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back