• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2022: Happy Pride, Biff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
you faculty now, phan? i feel like i missed a lot of life updates
I haven't provided the boards with an update! Props to all the sharers, but I've never been one.

But yes, I finished in summer 2018, spent two years as faculty at my phd institution, and now on a fixed-term visiting appointment at another big flagship.

Welcome back, my dude.

if you think a kory ct is all serious chat i don't know what the fuck threads i've been posting in

it seems to be just me in here right now so i'm just going to leave this here for some vibes and go finish making black bean soup

I haven't provided the boards with an update! Props to all the sharers, but I've never been one.

But yes, I finished in summer 2018, spent two years as faculty at my phd institution, and now on a fixed-term visiting appointment at another big flagship.

Welcome back, my dude.

Congrats, man! That's awesome.

also hey holy shit strick is back

MY MANS

I'm happy to be be back, fellas.

Haha, I just pulled up my notes: in the last four years (eight semesters) I've taught eleven new preps.

(One of these being a significant adaptation of a previous prep for distance learning.)

Next semester: one class I taught in 2018, one I taught in 2013, and one I taught last semester.

That’s insane. You’ve taught more different courses in four years than I’ve taught in 17. One “benefit” to being “the Black guy” in my department was that I taught our undergrad race course about twice a year for my first 10 years so I had it down. Then I got burned out teaching it and stopped after the 2016 election. Thankfully we had a bunch of grad students who could teach it.

Welcome back, my dude.

Congratulations on joining the ranks of public school Philth.

That’s insane. You’ve taught more different courses in four years than I’ve taught in 17. One “benefit” to being “the Black guy” in my department was that I taught our undergrad race course about twice a year for my first 10 years so I had it down. Then I got burned out teaching it and stopped after the 2016 election. Thankfully we had a bunch of grad students who could teach it.

I have taught eight courses solo (syllabus/prep-->teaching-->grading) since starting grad school and only one of those courses has been a retread so far. I would love to recycle some of these syllabi eventually, but it doesn't seem like it'll happen until I'm elsewhere.

Welcome back, Strick. Who is your favorite writer, and why isn’t it Flannery O’ Connor?

Welcome back, Strick. Who is your favorite writer, and why isn’t it Flannery O’ Connor?

It probably is Flannery O'Connor tbh, but I'm not the most well-read when it comes to fiction. My favorite writer regardless of genre is James Baldwin.

Congratulations on joining the ranks of public school Philth.

Haha, my MA and PhD were both at giant publics and outside of four years at wake I've never attended a private school in my life. I also taught community college.

Yeah, I can see how teaching a particular service course like theory or methods would wear you out. Especially when the conversations can get stressful and charged.

A number of those new preps were upper-level seminars for majors and opportunities for me to professionalize and I know that it paid off on the job market. Some were variations on the same course number, so new texts and discussions but can recycle the big assignments. We did a lot of teaching as grad students but because of my subfield I'd never get to teach my specialization in a lower-level class. That's one reason I always invite grad students to come guest lecture on their research if they'd find it valuable.

I have taught eight courses solo (syllabus/prep-->teaching-->grading) since starting grad school and only one of those courses has been a retread so far. I would love to recycle some of these syllabi eventually, but it doesn't seem like it'll happen until I'm elsewhere.
That's a ton! Other than the additional labor I don't see how this could be a bad thing professionally. I imagine every committee has a mental number of courses that fulfills their "experience" requirement and it's probably way less than eight. And it's even better if you can distinguish between them in a job document and in person.

chat thread 2022: how to win a chat thread

Teaching 8+ different courses is definitely an asset on the job market.

We have a great track record of placing our students. Much of that is because they get to teach a few different courses or and have to prep some elective courses in order to advance to candidacy.

I agree that having grad students present their research is a plus. My favorite semester was when I taught undergrad and grad race courses. I had my grad students pick a topic and complete four different assignments on the topic. First, they picked literature and led a class discussion. Then they taught it to my undergrads for about 20 minutes and took questions for 10 minutes. Then they presented their own research on the topic to the class like a conference presentation. Then they wrote a paper. So they all left with at least a draft of a publishable paper and some experience teaching race to undergrads.

That undergrad class was amazing. Very active and smart as shit. It was hard to stick to the usual material because they wanted to blow by it and get into some real shit. I had a grad student from China who lectured on racism in AI. Opened up for Q&A and a white guy in the back of the class asked him about how Chinese government treatment of Uyghurs.

Sounds great. Similarly, I always try to design upper-level courses with those big skills in mind.

man if only kory hadn't won the ct we wouldn't have had all these posts about academia from people who aren't kory

chat thread 2022: how to win a chat thread

I’m just so proud of the winners tonight on Top Chef Restaurant Wars. So happy for them.

Last edited:
so i used burneko's chefector recipe for the black bean soup (i ad-libbed some grilled chipotle lime chicken thighs to chop up and throw in) and it came out v v v v good

i had like 3 or 4 of his recipes in my rotation already, dude cannot fucking miss. and that's before considering how good he is at writing shit

I missed you, too, Creamy.

I have no idea, but Clemson worries me the most in that group. What do you think??

Agreed. Worries me that Lynn Kidd just decomitted. But we lost Ody, so I guess it's a wash. I think we need him. Hoping for best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back