• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2022: Happy Pride, Biff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm eyeballing a new Yukon for the wife. I'll probably keep my Jeep awhile longer.

the abyss absolutely rules

the stakes are so fucking high 10 minutes in

I'm eyeballing a new Yukon for the wife. I'll probably keep my Jeep awhile longer.

Yukon Denali would be absolutely ideal. But they're so damn expensive. Can get a decked out X5 or Q7 for quite a bit less. But 'Merica.

Damn was just having a similar car discussion with the wife on our drive into Chapel Hill. I need a new vehicle soon, anybody have any thoughts on hybrid SUVs?

We’re here by the way to grab lunch (she’s an alum) and then continue on to Carolina Beach. First beach trip for the boy and my first time at that particular beach. Any CB suggestions? We’re staying at a condo right across the main strip/boardwalk.

Damn was just having a similar car discussion with the wife on our drive into Chapel Hill. I need a new vehicle soon, anybody have any thoughts on hybrid SUVs?

We’re here by the way to grab lunch (she’s an alum) and then continue on to Carolina Beach. First beach trip for the boy and my first time at that particular beach. Any CB suggestions? We’re staying at a condo right across the main strip/boardwalk.

Britt's donuts

We ate at Havana's last time we were there in November and it was very good. Outside seating, too.

I did see some Budweisers, but what really surprised me was a pub that only had Fosters on tap. Like that is 3 degrees of demographic away from what I expected.
The standard pub probably going to have on tap Fosters, Guinness, Kronenbourg 1664, one of Carling or Carlsburg, and then a cask ale.

I haven't provided the boards with an update! Props to all the sharers, but I've never been one.

But yes, I finished in summer 2018, spent two years as faculty at my phd institution, and now on a fixed-term visiting appointment at another big flagship.

Welcome back, my dude.

So I thought about my post yesterday and how to elaborate. My wife is a now-tenured prof. at a small lib arts school. Her [hard science] department has gone from graduating 40 some majors a year to close to 120 in less than 5 years and they've lost class/office and lab space all along the way and have not been granted additional faculty slots and barely argued to keep a slot when an old guy finally retired.

Meanwhile, I know, via friends in humanities departments at the same school, that they graduate around 10-20 majors a year with numbers falling over the past decade but without reduction in faculty.

I have friends at other smaller institutions in the area, both state and private that have similar anecdotes. Small schools reallocate resources slowly. I don't think we should treat schools like businesses but you're robbing the students who want to get more enriching experiences in certain majors at the expense of less popular ones.

i've never owned or even worn a wife beater shirt

is that typical among chat threaders?

yea i've never worn an undershirt of any kind either

team v-neck on undershirts

I'm guessing we have some big-time crewneck undershirters here

I think I might have had a wife beater style undershirt in high school at one point? Now I wear V necks under dress shirts every day.

Also on team V-Neck.

I totally wore wife-beaters a lot about 15-20 years ago. When you have guns like these, they are begging to be shown off. Or at least that was the logic back in my early 20s. I had multiple colors and styles. I still wear a lot of tank tops, but it's more Nike dri-fit than Hanes.

So I thought about my post yesterday and how to elaborate. My wife is a now-tenured prof. at a small lib arts school. Her [hard science] department has gone from graduating 40 some majors a year to close to 120 in less than 5 years and they've lost class/office and lab space all along the way and have not been granted additional faculty slots and barely argued to keep a slot when an old guy finally retired.

Meanwhile, I know, via friends in humanities departments at the same school, that they graduate around 10-20 majors a year with numbers falling over the past decade but without reduction in faculty.

I have friends at other smaller institutions in the area, both state and private that have similar anecdotes. Small schools reallocate resources slowly. I don't think we should treat schools like businesses but you're robbing the students who want to get more enriching experiences in certain majors at the expense of less popular ones.

Thanks for returning to this. Ok, so this is more in line with what you were talking about yesterday (where I was mostly confused about the age and labor thing you hinted at).

This sounds like a pain for your wife and her department and I'm glad that I'm not and hopefully will never be in a position to have to make decisions like this.

Having to fight after a retirement to keep a tenure line is almost a universal problem at this point, and no department anywhere is safe. "Reduction in faculty" and "losing spots" are trickier things to measure though (based on what you've told me) because tenure lines only come up a couple times in a generation. I obviously can't respond to your particular story, but if a popular major would lose a line that's definitely bad news. But I don't think you can be upset that another major isn't *losing* lines. A liberal arts school especially may have longstanding commitments to offering particular subjects. What's to say that those dwindling humanities majors won't have a similar five-year surge in the future? You'd advocate reducing faculty even knowing that it could take a decade to get a new line?

To put it in awful, administrative terms, do you grant a new line to a major with five-year growth over a dwindling major with "falling numbers over a decade"? Just depends on what they think about trends, I guess. Even though you say you don't want to treat higher education as a business, the way you describe it kinda sounds like one. I agree it doesn't seem to make much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back