• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2022: Happy Pride, Biff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i also applied to a new role at my company this week

i have no idea if i'm qualified for it, as it would be a big step only 1.5 years after my last step up

i also applied to a new role at my company this week

i have no idea if i'm qualified for it, as it would be a big step only 1.5 years after my last step up

What is it that you do anyway? Editing stuff?

Well-well look. He already told you, he deals with the god damn customers so the editors don't have to. He has people skills; he is good at dealing with people.

I ask my wife "what would you say, you do here?" with that expression at least once a week.

i oversee a team of 8 indian devs/QAs, two project managers and business analysts in london, and the software they develop

i just tell them what to do and they do it, mostly

there are certain opposites that I have to stop and think about -- like which way is east vs west in a city (north vs south I do not have to normally think about) or frontcourt vs. backcourt for a basketball team

i oversee a team of 8 indian devs/QAs, two project managers and business analysts in london, and the software they develop

i just tell them what to do and they do it, mostly

For a publishing company?

Thanks bros. Definitely feeling the love. Learning that the job search process in a huge company is very slow and super political. All the circumstances are aligning for me here so not getting it would be a really disappointing setback.

going back to old chat thread bc i read it and want to respond: PhDeac asked 'how many neighbors do you know IRL' and we know quite a few; like, pretty much our whole street of 14 houses, plus then more of the families we pass routinely on our walks. Some of the neighbors we're legit close with and hang out bc they're cool, others are just folks we know by name and wave to in passing. Almost everyone is on a slightly deeper level than just basic small talk.
This was always true when we were growing up, too. I just have that expectation of neighbors/living in a neighborhood. It also helps immensely to have kids who play together, or at least get folks outside.

Thanks for returning to this. Ok, so this is more in line with what you were talking about yesterday (where I was mostly confused about the age and labor thing you hinted at).

This sounds like a pain for your wife and her department and I'm glad that I'm not and hopefully will never be in a position to have to make decisions like this.

Having to fight after a retirement to keep a tenure line is almost a universal problem at this point, and no department anywhere is safe. "Reduction in faculty" and "losing spots" are trickier things to measure though (based on what you've told me) because tenure lines only come up a couple times in a generation. I obviously can't respond to your particular story, but if a popular major would lose a line that's definitely bad news. But I don't think you can be upset that another major isn't *losing* lines. A liberal arts school especially may have longstanding commitments to offering particular subjects. What's to say that those dwindling humanities majors won't have a similar five-year surge in the future? You'd advocate reducing faculty even knowing that it could take a decade to get a new line?

To put it in awful, administrative terms, do you grant a new line to a major with five-year growth over a dwindling major with "falling numbers over a decade"? Just depends on what they think about trends, I guess. Even though you say you don't want to treat higher education as a business, the way you describe it kinda sounds like one. I agree it doesn't seem to make much sense.

Yeah. I'll add that a small liberal arts probably doesn't add many lines a year, so a department not getting new lines isn't that unusual. In the current climate, keeping a line after retirement is pretty good.

A college isn't going to straight up fire faculty for budget reasons or a drop in majors over a few years. How many faculty are in that humanities department? Maybe 4-6 faculty? Losing one would be huge and result in 4-8 fewer courses a year. If the college did need to make cuts due to declining majors, they wouldn't cut one faculty line from a few departments. They'd put a few departments on the chopping block, do the numbers internally, and cut one department knowing half the faculty would leave and they could absorb the rest somehow.

wouldn't fire a faculty member from a department that is

I LOVE STEVE FORBES YOU GUYS

i missed the season on here, do we love steve forbes?

Continuing on old stuff: we have a plug-in electric mower. It was $40 on facebook marketplace and it sucks because the wiring connection in the handle at the safety release lever is fried and you have to hold it really hard/funny to keep it running. Hand is always cramped by the end of mowing, but I'm too impatient to fix it when it's time to actually mow and don't care enough by the time I'm done. That said, when it's working it's plenty powerful. The only time it gets bogged down is if we have it set too short for one of the first mows of the season. Winter and spring rains turn our backyard fescue into a crazy jungle and it would be tough for a lot, I imagine. Whatever, for $40 I can put up with it. Bonus: A good feeling is figuring out the pattern that doesn't require you to render the cord on every pass.

that dastardly nicolas cage started a steve forbes credibility thread

Yes. We love Forbes. Happy to see him really being able to recruit and coach going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back