• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2022: Happy Pride, Biff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
email sucks

doing part-time for a startup rn and the olds have one foot in whatsapp and another in gmail and it seems like they just use whatever comm channel they have open when they want to get in touch

we do email for external communication, slack for internal

not always that neat, but that's the gist and seems pretty workable

what do people suggest as a replacement for the function currently fulfilled by email?

we try to push our comms all to teams over outlook (full microsoft shop) but that's a culture thing, you're never going to get the olds or micro-olds to fully switch

grandmother in hospice - slow decline due to alzheimers - apparently her heart stopped twice this morning but restarted on it's own (?!)

she's just been a shell of her former self for so long that i'm not particularly off about it, tbh.

it is, however, weird watching your dad lose his mom when you lost your own mom 15 or so years ago - weird to occupy a life space that you beat your dad to i guess

grandmother in hospice - slow decline due to alzheimers - apparently her heart stopped twice this morning but restarted on it's own (?!)

she's just been a shell of her former self for so long that i'm not particularly off about it, tbh.

it is, however, weird watching your dad lose his mom when you lost your own mom 15 or so years ago - weird to occupy a life space that you beat your dad to i guess

sorry man, that's rough, alzheimers is fucking awful

we try to push our comms all to teams over outlook (full microsoft shop) but that's a culture thing, you're never going to get the olds or micro-olds to fully switch

how is teams vs. slack or whatever

i've never used it

yeah i mean i've been using it since...it started? it's fine. but searching and sorting sucks balls

way better than yahoo or outlook's browser client. i like Outlook as platform but probably b/c it's just what i'm used to for work

I was in the beta testing program. So my email address is lastname.first name@gmail.com, which my wife found super impressive when we first started dating.

My wife’s company uses Slack for internal as well. It’s a good tool in theory but in practice you basically have people instant messaging you all goddamn day. Sometimes it ends up being a huge time suck.

how is teams vs. slack or whatever

i've never used it

Never used Slack but we were Teams heavy at old job and now new job. Seems to work well for document sharing and meetings. Much better than emailing a doc back and forth and having people edit the wrong version. I like Outlook for work emails but it’s all I’ve ever known in my working years.

A buddy of mine uses Slack at his firm and he spend 30 mins explaining it to me and I still didn't have much of an understanding of what he was describing. I'm sure it would make more sense if I saw the platform and interacted with it, but I was just like "uh, so it's like texting and email, but through an app?" He kind of shrugged and we just got more drinks.

teams is pretty good, though the frequent product updates mean you have to re-learn how to use it fairly often. i hate the new share screen UI, I can never find what I'm trying to share at a given time.

i've only ever used the free slack version, so can't really compare.

Sorry tk. Thats tough. I remember watching my parents lose each of their parents in different ways over the years. The last was my dad's mom. She was living with dementia. On one of her lesser days she asked who my mom was. "I didn't know my son got remarried." My mom laughed.

All the best for you and your family kory.

A buddy of mine uses Slack at his firm and he spend 30 mins explaining it to me and I still didn't have much of an understanding of what he was describing. I'm sure it would make more sense if I saw the platform and interacted with it, but I was just like "uh, so it's like texting and email, but through an app?" He kind of shrugged and we just got more drinks.

yeah, it's just a upgraded chat platform where you can create specific channels in addition to direct messaging

advantage is that someone can join a channel later and still have access to previous chats and attachments

I defs don't take advantage of its integration capacity with other platforms -- google, project management software, etc. -- but it exists

teams is pretty good, though the frequent product updates mean you have to re-learn how to use it fairly often. i hate the new share screen UI, I can never find what I'm trying to share at a given time.

i've only ever used the free slack version, so can't really compare.

free slack isn't much different than corporate.. just infinite history and searchability as the main perks (from what I can tell)

we use slack for most of our company's primary comms.. email (gmail) for some stuff on occasion and weekly company/team updates.. jira/confluence shit for longer running documentation (or just google docs)

i like slack a lot, i also like discord but it doesn't really fit the same purpose.. can't integrate as many apps, threaded conversations are non-existent, searchability not as good IMO

free slack isn't much different than corporate.. just infinite history and searchability as the main perks (from what I can tell)

we use slack for most of our company's primary comms.. email (gmail) for some stuff on occasion and weekly company/team updates.. jira/confluence shit for longer running documentation (or just google docs)

i like slack a lot, i also like discord but it doesn't really fit the same purpose.. can't integrate as many apps, threaded conversations are non-existent, searchability not as good IMO

any work management/project/program management tools other than jira+confluence?

we're sunsetting jira and confluence too, going fullllllllllll microsoft and azure devops pretty shortly

gotta say i really preferred wrike to MS project/planner

any work management/project/program management tools other than jira+confluence?

we're sunsetting jira and confluence too, going fullllllllllll microsoft and azure devops pretty shortly

gotta say i really preferred wrike to MS project/planner

nope we're all in on jira/confluence/atlassian at this point.. i'd say most stuff starts in google docs in the ideation phases and then if its worth documenting long term gets moved to confluence/jira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back