• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2022: Happy Pride, Biff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I’m in charge of all journals none of this will stand, man

Speaking of academic publishing, it’s braggy, but, one of my papers from my masters research on oystercatchers got its 100th citation this week. It’s in a dinky bird journal with an impact factor of about 0.65, so I never thought we’d get more than a handful of cites. Beach driving and it’s affects on wildlife really took off as a management concern in the last 10 years and I guess my ‘06 paper was there and ready to be referenced.

Speaking of academic publishing, it’s braggy, but, one of my papers from my masters research on oystercatchers got its 100th citation this week. It’s in a dinky bird journal with an impact factor of about 0.65, so I never thought we’d get more than a handful of cites. Beach driving and it’s affects on wildlife really took off as a management concern in the last 10 years and I guess my ‘06 paper was there and ready to be referenced.

Think how many citations you’d have gotten if it was on Great Blue Herons.

First Planet Fitness outing since the pandemic. Expecting a lot of pain the next few days.

Define “may take years.” The stuff I’m working now is based on interviews completed 7-8 years ago. I’ve already published an article and book out of it but I’m trying to get a few more articles before writing a second book and going up for full.

I’m jealous of people who just take a public dataset and run some analysis and just pump out a bunch of papers. Not really my style.
Similarly, the thing I'm finishing up now is based on research I did in 2014. Last night I was thanking wakephan of seven years ago for taking good notes on something and cursing wakephan of 2016 for not getting a proper photo of something else. And there's nothing I can do about it save hopping on a transatlantic flight or paying someone (or begging someone) to go double check it for me.

But what I meant when I wrote that was more about humanities publishing in general, where the production of a single publication may take years (rather than based on research from years ago). This is reflected generally in research requirements for tenure and promotion. Social science does seem to be somewhere between the hard sciences and humanities in this regard. (We unusually have a faculty salary committee that reviews annually research production across disciplines on campus.)

One kinda dumb thing about literature research is that the prose itself is part of the product so it's gotta be beautifully written too.

chat thread 2022: how to avoid a chat thread

I hate writing lit reviews. Seems like there’s some trick I always miss.

We can be quick about turnaround. The top journal in my field turns around reviews in about 2-3 months. Some journals take much longer. One sat on a paper I did for 2-3 years. Worked out fine because it spaced out my pubs and looks good on my vitae.

Not to brag, but my most first paper from 2007 has 499 citations including 79 since 2020. It’s by far my most impactful paper. At the time, I thought it was too basic and didn’t want to submit it yet. My mentor basically forced me to submit it to a lesser known journal that didn’t even have a listed impact factor when I published. Now the impact factor is over 2. People in even lesser known journals are citing it. Just found out there is a Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research. Way back in like 2008, a physics professor emailed me out of the blue to tell me he read my paper and printed it out to give to his colleagues because it spoke to issues he’s been warning them about for years.

Since Google Scholar, we are using citations instead of journal impact factor in tenure and promotion. My chair straight up told me my total citations when we met about going up for full. I guess that’s an improvement but it’s still uncomfortable.

Last edited:
First Planet Fitness outing since the pandemic. Expecting a lot of pain the next few days.

I’ve been working out for awhile at home but today was my first trip inside of a gym today.

It was glorious.

I’ve been working out for awhile at home but today was my first trip inside of a gym today.

It was glorious.

Yup nothing beats the full-blown experience. Between that and a couple fun trips the last few weekends I’m feeling almost totally back LFG

Finally cracked open Deacon King Kong. Definitely looking forward to it. Also trying a “Coffee Palmer” lemonade/cold brew combo from my local spot that I was super skeptical about but ended up being fantastic especially for a hot day.

Finally cracked open Deacon King Kong. Definitely looking forward to it. Also trying a “Coffee Palmer” lemonade/cold brew combo from my local spot that I was super skeptical about but ended up being fantastic especially for a hot day.

I think a lot about this nitro cold brew/tonic I got at a coffee shop in Estonia. So refreshing.

dd114c10c58ccc3a50c6e627e98e19b4.jpg

It was glorious.

I’ve got to get back into it. It’s hard because the OTF is about 12 min away and I don’t really need to leave my house and drive past it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back