• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2022: Viel Glück für alle!

Sounds like a perfect use case for an electric car. wouldn't have to charge much, No worries about oil changes or gas getting stale.

what argument is presented in that Netflix doc that made multiple posters want to get solar

David Attenborough documents how the world has changed since he started making wildlife documentaries in the 1950s. If you like wildlife and nature it is a fucking devastating movie.

One of my students just called me bro-lesterol and that's gonna be my new favorite word for the next couple months.

Sounds like a perfect use case for an electric car. wouldn't have to charge much, No worries about oil changes or gas getting stale.

I also work for a power company and have tons of free charging at my office (which again, is only a mile away), but no easy charging at home since I park on the street. But I do see that they make portable chargers that I could use if needed. I'll probs think about it once my current car dies.

are electric cars as they most commonly exist actually environmentally friendlier?

isn't the electricity mostly coming from fossil fuels?

I also work for a power company and have tons of free charging at my office (which again, is only a mile away), but no easy charging at home since I park on the street. But I do see that they make portable chargers that I could use if needed. I'll probs think about it once my current car dies.

You could def get away with just charging at work and not at home if you're going into the office a few days a week. I plug in my car every night at home but mileage wise could get away with only charging once or twice a week. And I drive about 30-40 miles a day.

are electric cars as they most commonly exist actually environmentally friendlier?

depends on where you live. charging via solar panels on your house would def be ideal

This used to be my argument, but as power generation moves more and more to renewables it is less of a concern.

Last year, US power generation - Nat gas 39%, Coal 20%, Renewables 20%
Europe was 38% renewables vs. 37% fossil fuels... First time renewables beat fossil fuels

We'll use more Nat Gas here in the US because we have so much of it, but the trend is definitely toward more renewables.

In theory it is much easier to regulate and monitor the exhaust coming from a single smoke stack at a power plant than thousands of co2 producing miniature mobile combustion engines. America has an increasing amount of power coming from wind and solar so this will be less of a problem over the next 2 decades. And, lastly, we have, in our desperate need for oil and petrol, carved up natural landscapes and wildlife habitat across the globe to feed our ongoing addiction. If we all switched to electric cars, there'd be no need for the deep water Horizon fiasco or to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for Drilling.

right, most of these charging stations everyone is talking about here, are they connected to solar?

we're doing a lot with solar in California now -- obviously the sunshine conditions are different than other parts of the country, but a good model for how to legislate for the inclusion of solar in development -- yeah, it's expensive, but it's an expensive problem

the one I feel ignorant about is nuclear

seems like you can read one thing that nuclear is the only real way to scale up energy production without producing a ton of carbon in the near term

then you can read that's it's an existential threat to the earth and should never be considered ever again

i am not going to install a nuclear plant at my house. I suppose I get my energy in charlotte from nuclear power right? Am i still doing anything for the environment if I switch to solar because if not then EFF THAT.

right, most of these charging stations everyone is talking about here, are they connected to solar?

we're doing a lot with solar in California now -- obviously the sunshine conditions are different than other parts of the country, but a good model for how to legislate for the inclusion of solar in development -- yeah, it's expensive, but it's an expensive problem

Look at evgo.com and chargepoint.com... Those are the players in this space.

There are multiple options.

the one I feel ignorant about is nuclear

seems like you can read one thing that nuclear is the only real way to scale up energy production without producing a ton of carbon in the near term

then you can read that's it's an existential threat to the earth and should never be considered ever again

I feel the same way.

I want to love it, but would I want to live next to a nuclear plant? Probably not, even though it is probably completely safe.

Back