• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2022: Viel Glück für alle!

Well, considering over 90% of your charging will be at your home (or office)... It's really only on long trips that this becomes an issue. And is it really an issue with your wife and family? My kids want to stop to pee all the damn time whenever we take a road trip.

NOTE: I don't own an EV and I have no plans to purchase one anytime soon.

No. My kids can now go 4+ hours without stopping and it's amazing what a difference it makes.

Just mapped out that route. A Better Route planner recommends stopping for a 44 minute charge in Henderson, not Emporia.

Happy to help!!

So a 5 hour trip turned into a 6 hour trip ? Woof.

What if I get to Henderson and all three chargers are bring used ? Fucked ?

Don’t worry, the charger is at a Walmart. So you can grab snacks and supplies for your trip!

So I have to pull my $90,000 Tesla into the Walmart in Henderson, NC for 40 minutes ? I don't think the country is ready for this.

What do they even sell at Walmart ?

I've had my car since August 2011 and I have just over 25K on it. Would that little of driving be bad for an electric car? Also, I haven't had an oil change in 2 years (it was 1/19/19 the last time I had it). Is that bad, even if it's only been like 3k miles during that time and I use synthetic?

Yeah this really is gonna wreak havoc on my innate dad need to make good time on road trips.

db480rl-993e08e5-839f-4ce7-9a06-50b28a8a4cb5.gif

To clarify, I think your oil should be fine, but I'm not sure I understand owning a car and only driving 1,500 miles a year. But I'm sure you have your valid reasons.

I'd probably get my oil changed once a year no matter what, as well as driving the car once every two weeks or so.

Has anyone paid much attention to the Tesla Solar Roof? It looks pretty sweet....a little more expensive but it looks great.

what argument is presented in that Netflix doc that made multiple posters want to get solar

I drive to work every day (in non-Covid times), but it's only 1.2 miles each way. But I like having it for easy trips to the grocery store and other places, and to see my parents in Annapolis. My wife's car is a 2014 and she has just over 5k on it, but she pretty much only drives it for work (which is only 1.0 mile). We tried to go down to 1 car a number of years ago but it was too much of an irritant. They aren't expensive cars (paid cash for each when we got them) and don't cost much in terms of upkeep other than insurance and the occasional trip to the gas station, so the convenience outweighs most other things for us. We both tried walking/biking to work, but that wasn't something that either of us loved. Just more of a pain in the ass than it was worth (I sweat pretty easily, so wearing dress clothes for the trip wasn't good, and changing at work wasn't any better). Also, one of us will stop at the grocery store often after work and trying to do that on foot or bike wasn't all that fun.

I'd probably get my oil changed once a year no matter what, as well as driving the car once every two weeks or so.

Yeah, this is the first time I've gone this long, but Covid had a lot to do with that. I'll probably do it the next time I'm in Annapolis since trying to do it in DC is a giant pain in the ass, at least in my experience (few places in the city are convenient for me and they often have stupid long lines).

If you're driving every day, you should get your oil changed with some frequency. The fact that you're not actually driving far enouh or at a high speed means that your engine isn't warming up enough to burn off condensation. 3,000 miles of short trips is probably worse for your oil life than 5,000 miles of "regular" driving. I'd get my oil changed if I were you.

If you're driving every day, you should get your oil changed with some frequency. The fact that you're not actually driving far enouh or at a high speed means that your engine isn't warming up enough to burn off condensation. 3,000 miles of short trips is probably worse for your oil life than 5,000 miles of "regular" driving. I'd get my oil changed if I were you.

Yeah, I know the short trip driving isn't great for it overall, but nothing I can really do about that.

i think the notable difference is that he actually lays out a path forward that doesn't simply involve our government spending $20 trillion dollars - or even if it does, that wasn't his focus. Too often, I probably expect the government to lead us and set out a path forward, and we shouldn't wait on that. He laid out some things that we can do individually that would make a difference:
- eat less meat. I was stunned to learn that humans make up about 1/3 of the body mass of animals; the next 60% is animals we plan to eat. Only about 4% is actual "wild-life." By reducing our meat intake, we can substantially reduce the impact of farming on our biodiversity.
- adopt smarter energy usage (my solar interest comes in here)
- commit to doing our part to reduce poverty and helping pull people up. Overpopulation is a problem in poor countries, which strains the system even more. By working to reduce poverty, we can flatten population growth to a pace that earth can sustain.
- smarter farming - commit to supporting sustainable farming that doesn't eat up a ton of resources. Vertical farms, indoor farms, etc. The technology is there (from what i understand.) Apparently the Netherlands is the worlds second largest produce exporter - that was surprising.

There was also a grim illustration of what the future might look like. Not from rising seas, but from a dry world that can no longer regulate its temperature.

I recommend it - I know there's an agenda to it, but I'm open to understanding what I can do to make a difference.

Back