• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2022: Viel Glück für alle!

I'm going to run my faucets day and night for hydroelectric power that I can sell back to the grid.

I feel the same way.

I want to love it, but would I want to live next to a nuclear plant? Probably not, even though it is probably completely safe.

I work for the largest nuclear power producer in the US. Nukes are perfectly safe, and they are clean. My company's nukes produce 1/9 of all carbon-free energy in the US. I've been to all of our plants and been into the containment room of a couple (during outages). These are incredibly efficient, safe and and clean, they are just expensive. People worry a lot about storage of spent fuel, but the volume of spent fuel created is relatively low in the grand scheme of things and the storage of spend fuel is HIGHLY regulated (for good reason). The fears over nukes are real but overblown, IMO.

I feel the same way.

I want to love it, but would I want to live next to a nuclear plant? Probably not, even though it is probably completely safe.

The biggest problem I have with nuclear is what to do with the waste. If that can be solved, nuclear could easily be an option.

Not gonna lie, I have defs injected some of the Kool-Aid into my veins, but having seen these units up close and spoken with some incredibly smart people in the industry, I'm all for them, especially in an increasingly electrified world (smart grids, smart cities, connected communities, etc.). The stability and efficiency of the power from nukes is far more reliable than renewables, but just as clean. That may change once battery technology dramatically improves, but that's a fairly long way off in terms of grid-capable storage goes.

I know this is a stupid question but please confirm as you seem to know what's up: if I get my home electricity from nuclear, is there an environmental point to changing to solar? Is the electricity that I don't use from Duke reducing fossil fuel use somewhere? (I have googled this, but despite usually being good at internetting, i can't find useful insight on this.)

In Ohio you can pick your electricity supplier, and they tell you what percent of the energy is clean. The 100% clean suppliers are actually competitively priced now, so it's a no brainer.

interesting, thanks

for me personally, I use street parking, so not sure how the logistics of electric would work

That is where the retail charging stations come in. Either at "gas" stations or grocery, where you'll likely be there long enough to get a charge.

For someone like me, if I ever had an EV I would charge it at home almost 100% of the time. But there are folks that would still need retail stations - Uber drivers, urban folks, people on long car trips, etc

what's your preferred grocery store? I really like Harris Teeter & Lowes but do not like the prices there. I love Lidl, much more than Aldi, as they tend to have everything I need or want.

In Ohio you can pick your electricity supplier, and they tell you what percent of the energy is clean. The 100% clean suppliers are actually competitively priced now, so it's a no brainer.

It is the same way in TX, too. http://www.powertochoose.org/ I think some 100% clean suppliers were actually cheaper than traditional suppliers

Just to be clear, just because they say it's 100% clean does mean that you are getting electrons from clean energy rather than coal, it's just that these suppliers are trading in RECs to satisfy this statement.

p proud of our company for having the first manufacturing facility in NC 100% powered by renewable sources. now all 3 of our US factories are this way.

I know we've talked about this before, but I can't imagine driving 1.2 miles to the office on a non-bad weather day

I used to walk or bike share about a mile as part of my regular commute from the commuter train to the office

interesting, thanks

for me personally, I use street parking, so not sure how the logistics of electric would work

Dunno if Chicago has programs like DC does but the city here more or less entirely subsidizes putting a charging station at your house if you own. If we planned to stay at this place for more than five years we’d do it I think.

I know we've talked about this before, but I can't imagine driving 1.2 miles to the office on a non-bad weather day

I used to walk or bike share about a mile as part of my regular commute from the commuter train to the office

Yeah, I totally hear this and get the criticism and often feel bad/lazy. But for me the logistics and convenience are just push me to drive, especially since I have free parking at the office. Wife and I often carpool since her office is on the way to mine, but our schedules don’t match up a lot of the time. If we move to a more flex schedule post-Covid I might rethink.

I know you said the office is 1.2mi away. How long does that drive normally take?

Exactly. when I lived in Beverly Hills, I walked from my apartment to Century City rather than drive. It was actually quicker and had some great views.

Hell, it would have taken much longer to get out the parking garage than it did to walk.

what's your preferred grocery store? I really like Harris Teeter & Lowes but do not like the prices there. I love Lidl, much more than Aldi, as they tend to have everything I need or want.

it's aldi and not even close

then swing by teeter for beer

Back