• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2022: Viel Glück für alle!

I need to learn the pronoun game because I forget peoples real name within seconds of them stating it. I also wonder how triggered people are at the Doctors office now that patient records allow you to self-identify as something like 10 different things.

I say hey Bub or Chief or whatever.

My kid turned 16 on Saturday. I'm 44.

He still can't drive because he hasn't taken his road class yet.

Here's my biggest problem.

"They is a fast runner" just sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

"Ze is a fast runner" is fine and doesn't offend my delicate sensibilities.

would it not be "They are a fast runner"?

People use they all the time as a singular. Every time you're speaking about someone whose gender you don't know, you instinctively use they.

I don't typically. I'd probably use that person's name. I've never been a big user of "they" for an unknown gender. I always hated "he/she" and kinda felt that I'm happy to default to "she" if it makes people happy.

would it not be "They are a fast runner"?

Are is plural.

All of this came up because I was watching a pro wrestling match with a transgendered wrestler who uses the pronoun "they" and the play-by-play using "they" sounded really weird to me.

I don't typically. I'd probably use that person's name. I've never been a big user of "they" for an unknown gender. I always hated "he/she" and kinda felt that I'm happy to default to "she" if it makes people happy.

Are is plural.

All of this came up because I was watching a pro wrestling match with a transgendered wrestler who uses the pronoun "they" and the play-by-play using "they" sounded really weird to me.

what? are is often used for individuals -- "you are great" or "Are you going to the store?"

people use they in the singular all the time, "they are" is correct English https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

I mean, I'm guessing you do use "are" unless you're using something like he/she instead of they

e.g. my Secret Santa got me a book, whoever they are

I mean, I'm guessing you do use "are" unless you're using something like he/she instead of they

e.g. my Secret Santa got me a book, whoever they are

I typically have always defaulted to "he." I had this stuff beaten into me from journalism class.

Why not make new tools to reflect changes in society instead of forcing old tools?

We need to start pushing "ze" as the alternative.

because, as I understand it, it's what most non-binary people have chosen to call themselves

it's not like you're treading new ground here -- why should a non-nonbinary journalism minor choose the pronouns?

because, as I understand it, it's what most non-binary people have chosen to call themselves

it's not like you're treading new ground here -- why should a non-nonbinary journalism minor choose the pronouns?

I imagine people chose it because that was the low-hanging fruit. Others had been using "they/their" incorrectly for so long.

I'm not the end-all, be-all. I'm open to all kinds of options, I just want the options to make grammatical sense.

I think we've shown they do make grammatical sense, whether or not your journalism prof told you so

well if some nonbinary people want me to call them they or ze or whatever then I'm game but I'll take my cues from somewhere besides the chat thread

the bathroom ep of always sunny is very good per this discussion

Back