• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. He’d be that guy who used to be on Around the Horn. I do think Stugotz is made up though.

Last edited:
I mostly know him from his guest hosting on PTI and the hosts making fun of him. Then he got his own shows and became A Thing.

Lebron taking his talents to south beach helped

It's funny plama, you're literally the only person I've ever heard talking about lebatard. I've never encountered him or his stuff anywhere else in my life.

I literally don't think I've even seen his name anywhere else. You could have completely invented him and I wouldn't know any better

i think he's on espn radio somewhere and has an idiotic sidekick named steve or something? but i'm with you...no clue who he is or if i should listen to him.

But plama was also obsessed with Andy Slavitt last year and I'd never heard of him either. Now he's on the white house coronavirus response team.

Anybody done travel by train in the states? Not taking a subway or light rail, but by Amtrak? There’s a station that’s not far from me so I’ve thought about it but the extra time it takes is a nonstarter.

Anybody done travel by train in the states? Not taking a subway or light rail, but by Amtrak? There’s a station that’s not far from me so I’ve thought about it but the extra time it takes is a nonstarter.

No, I haven't. Also, unless you're going someplace that doesn't use cars, I don't see the point (except for the environment). Sure you can take Uber, but you've just spent as long on a train as it would take you to drive and now you're going to pay to have somebody drive you around ? Caveat, you might be paying $40 a night to park your car.

I’ve gone between Durham and DC a couple times. If you have the time it’s great. Way more pleasant than an airplane, especially if you upgrade to business class.

Train travel in the US is only worth it on the Northeast Corridor between DC and Boston. And even then the NE Regional isn’t that much slower than the Acela — the supposedly high-speed train — and is much cheaper. Sometimes you’re saving maybe 30-45 mins on a trip from DC to NYC, for example, but spending like $150 more for the Acela.

For instance, Amtrak takes me from Charlotte to Atlanta in 5.5 hours, when it's a 4-hour drive, tops. On top of that, I've got to drive to the train station and park, so add another 20 minutes to that, and then they say to be there 30 minutes early for some reason, meaning I could be on I-85, near Gaffney, SC, before the train leaves the station. Then add another 20-30 minutes if I don't plan to stay in Midtown/Buckhead, and I'm up to almost 7 hours. Also, the train to Atlanta leaves once a day at 2:45 AM, which isn't an ideal time for anyone or anything, especially considering the train station in Charlotte is located next to the men's shelter. So yeah, Amtrak is fucking useless in this town for anyone headed south who has a car and two nickels to rub together.

It's a lot better if you're going back and forth to Raleigh though. Only 3 hours.

Train travel in the NE corridor, like from Boston to DC, is easy and can be quick. Way the fuck better than driving and way better on the climate than flying. I traveled on Amtrak from Atl to NYC a few times. it's over night so we got a sleeper car, it was ok. The first time was novel and kinda fun to bring a bottel of wine and sit in our private cabin and ride the train, but eventually the discomfort and the bad food overtake the novelty.

Durham to Charlotte on Amtrak is easy and cheap. Done it a few times for work when I just didn’t feel like driving. Only downside is that there are like 2 departure options a day. High speed rail from Boston to Miami would be so fucking sweet. Would never happen but you’d never have to fly on the East Coast again pretty much.

the obvious advantage of the train (or bus) over driving is that you can read, sleep, post on the boards, etc. -- sometimes, especially by bus, it is much cheaper than driving if you're only accounting for one traveler

I personally don't really like driving that much, but also rail/bus availability is very poor outside the much celebrated NE corridor that it is rarely worth it

For instance, Amtrak takes me from Charlotte to Atlanta in 5.5 hours, when it's a 4-hour drive, tops. On top of that, I've got to drive to the train station and park, so add another 20 minutes to that, and then they say to be there 30 minutes early for some reason, meaning I could be on I-85, near Gaffney, SC, before the train leaves the station. Then add another 20-30 minutes if I don't plan to stay in Midtown/Buckhead, and I'm up to almost 7 hours. Also, the train to Atlanta leaves once a day at 2:45 AM, which isn't an ideal time for anyone or anything, especially considering the train station in Charlotte is located next to the men's shelter. So yeah, Amtrak is fucking useless in this town for anyone headed south who has a car and two nickels to rub together.

It's a lot better if you're going back and forth to Raleigh though. Only 3 hours.

if you lived in a real city, like one in the NE corridor, you could take a train to the train, and drink on the train, and be in another real city without driving at all, and get drunk, and enjoy the ride

if you lived in a real city, like one in the NE corridor, you could take a train to the train, and drink on the train, and be in another real city without driving at all, and get drunk, and enjoy the ride

we're MISSING OUT by not living in a city where the main attraction is how easy it is to LEAVE and to live there you need to be drunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back