• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: An Idiot Abroad: Spain or Italy or France !????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3r7RUyZ.gif

we have gas logs on our patio but it puts out very little heat. Simply aesthetic.

Same. Our builder made that choice without giving us an option.

So I want a fire pit for our backyard instead. But I can't decide if I want to hire someone to do it or do it myself. Yard is relatively flat, so I think I could do it myself, but if I want nice pavers and stuff, I'd rather just hire someone to do it and have it look good. The quote I got was for like $8k, which seemed ridiculous.

Same. Our builder made that choice without giving us an option.

So I want a fire pit for our backyard instead. But I can't decide if I want to hire someone to do it or do it myself. Yard is relatively flat, so I think I could do it myself, but if I want nice pavers and stuff, I'd rather just hire someone to do it and have it look good. The quote I got was for like $8k, which seemed ridiculous.

Ha, that seems about right for professional hardscaping like that (assuming you're putting a bunch of pavers/etc around the firepit too).

The tricky part is making it last and built to handle drainage and stuff, IMO. You don't want your firepit to turn into a pond everytime it rains.

I don't know how I feel about this without seeing pics of guys standing around it drinking beer or some "7" female toasting marshmallows.

It comes in much bigger sizes as well, up to 42 inch diameter. Look up cowboy cauldrons. I knew a guy who used to use it to cook the game he brought back from Africa.

Ha, that seems about right for professional hardscaping like that (assuming you're putting a bunch of pavers/etc around the firepit too).

The tricky part is making it last and built to handle drainage and stuff, IMO. You don't want your firepit to turn into a pond everytime it rains.

Yup, that is exactly the feedback I have received from people much handier than I. I don't want some piece of shit setup that I'm going to regret from day one because I suck at projects like that.

There is an older guy across the street that did a ridiculous overhaul of his backyard (~$60k)... Bird sanctuary and a ton of hardscaping. Those were the guys that said $8k. Expensive, but I've seen their work and it is awesome.

Why the hell do you design a fire pit that will get red hot and stay that way for hours and then surround it with trip hazards.

lol yeah, we actually have a 30" NG fire pit at my place (42" total diameter, but the flame part is in a 30" middle part)

its around 100k BTUs but even then it's only keeping you warm if you lean kinda close to it.. still a pretty solid 3-season item, and doable in the winter if I dress approriately/drink enough whiskey

wow have fun sucking putin's dick!

/tuffalo

My fire pit gets less use than it should. I’d rather not huddle around it for warmth, but at the same time I don’t want to sweat to death so it’s a narrow band of acceptable temperatures.

Back