• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: An Idiot Abroad: Spain or Italy or France !????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm IN for the guitardeac/DR who knows more famous golfers debate that's about to go down

Birdman, why would the tag mean ownership and not some sort of research or tracking? Are you just assuming that because of the video? Or is that sort of training tag more common than I realize?

That's not a tag you'd but on a wild bird for a research study. The USFWS/USGS pretty carefully regulates what kinds of tags, markers, devices (e.g. radio transmitters, GPS transmitters, data loggers) on a wild bird for reach. Most tags are simple steel or aluminum leg bands with a unique number imprinted on them that are produced and distributed by the USGS. Some times you get plastic colored leg bands with a unique pattern so that you can ID an individual without having to recapture it. And then there are some variants, like Condors get wing tags (but they are trained not mess them before being released), and some long necked water fowl get neck bands. Anyway the tag on this bird looks like a sort of zip tie that dangles off the foot. You'd have a very hard time getting a USGS/FWS research permit for that for fear that it would get caught up on something and injure the bird or impede flight. The guy was speaking Spanish and other countries might not have the same regs as us, but Western Hemisphere nations have pretty coordinated banding schemes and rules that way we don't use the same numbers of the same colors and get confused when a bird crosses a border.

i have about 15 shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt - slim fits me really well. I thought about a tux from them but Bonobos will be better quality I think.

I have a bunch of CT shirts. I bounce back and forth between them and TM Lewin. Basically the same shirt and sizes just different colors and patterns. The deals are about the same. The CT shirt collar will shrink faster from too many trips to the dry cleaners.

it's your life! i just wanna know more about it. occasionally i'll read one of your posts, like on the home improvement thread or the sports board and think "this guy has some stories to tell"!

That i can do. Just wasn't sure if you were expecting the next "Great American Novel" from me.

I have patched a hole in a shed roof and removed and painted all the shutters on our house and then reattached them today. My wife has spent her entire day organizing all of our kids’ toys which they will inevitably just throw wherever they want as soon as they play with them because they’re 4 and 7. One of us has had a productive day.

I never got to dig out west. I did two field schools with Ned on the Upper Yadkin, one as a student and one as a TA. So many great memories.

I spent two winter breaks in Puerto Rico digging on a military base. Not a bad way to get to the Caribbean when it was cold and freezing rain here in NC.

I'll toss in a Woodall classroom story here.

Back in the days when all the social science, humanities, and language departments had the their faculty offices and all classes in Tribble. Introductory Anthro class, About 30-40 students. 8:00 AM class. The class lecture/reading/discussion topic was the osteo-dento-kerato cultures, those making tools from animal bones, teeth and skins. Class is all assembled, as he was not one for being happy with late arrivals.

At the start of class he comes walking in carrying a femur from a steer that he must have gotten from a local butcher shop that morning. It was bloody, had shreds of meat hanging off the bone and marrow was oozing out the end where the butcher shop had cut it off. Ned was pretty much carrying it like you would a club you were ready to hit someone with.

A very naive young woman sitting near the front of the class raised her hand and asked very earnestly, "Is it real?"
Ned replied, very deadpan, "No honey, it's plastic."

Lecture was of necessity put on hold until students could stop laughing and get themselves back into their chairs. I believe this was the invention of ROFL.

I have no memory as to what particular point he was trying to illustrate.

I have patched a hole in a shed roof and removed and painted all the shutters on our house and then reattached them today. My wife has spent her entire day organizing all of our kids’ toys which they will inevitably just throw wherever they want as soon as they play with them because they’re 4 and 7. One of us has had a productive day.

how'd the bathroom fan install end up going?

I'm IN for the guitardeac/DR who knows more famous golfers debate that's about to go down

Least surprising part of that exchange is that DR is not actually a single digit handicap. I think everyone could see that coming.

That i can do. Just wasn't sure if you were expecting the next "Great American Novel" from me.

yes please submit one memoir and one novel by the end of the calendar year

this one townie might actually edit for free

100%, though blue doesn't seem like he needs one nearly as badly as DeacInItaly or whatever his name was

Speaking of editorial masterpieces, I just finished Absolute Power by David Baldacci. Was looking for a nice, easy read after some downer and heavier stuff I've read lately. What a fun romp! Wanna watch the movie now. Makes me wanna read more trash.

that dude can CHURN out some trash novels. he makes stuart woods look like dickens

Back