• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: An Idiot Abroad: Spain or Italy or France !????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are dudes like baldacci actually writing all these books or is it like a team of people that he employs?

My wife reads some murder mystery series called In Death that has like 60 books, and these are all supposedly "written" under the alter ego of Nora Roberts. According to Wikipedia Roberts has 225 credits to her name. There's just no fucking way.

I felt bamboozled when I found out some big time artists are really just overseeing apprentices painting some of their pieces

I felt bamboozled when I found out some big time artists are really just overseeing apprentices painting some of their pieces

Many! The workshop model was crucial to meeting demands of Renaissance patrons.

Speaking of editorial masterpieces, I just finished Absolute Power by David Baldacci. Was looking for a nice, easy read after some downer and heavier stuff I've read lately. What a fun romp! Wanna watch the movie now. Makes me wanna read more trash.

The number of UVA law grads that are famous for things other than law is high.

Sort of like Jay Bilas being a Duke Law grad.

The best Band of Brothers cameo is Jimmy Fallon, because it’s a minute scene and Jimmy Fallon can only play one character that being Jimmy Fallon. The second best is Simon Pegg doing a Texas accent because he can’t do an American accent.

I haven’t worn a tuxedo since I went to my sister-in laws 2009 debutant ball

Paul Reiser comes on Stranger Things.

Stoned wife “is that coach?”
Me “No it’s Paul Reiser”
Stoned wife “He was on that 90s sitcom”
Me “Mad About You”
Stoned Wife “no, no, no, no…….yessssss, you know, with Jodie Foster”

And scene.

Meta/Facebook coming to Durham. We are officially that “generic emerging tech city”.

Chat Thread: A Pet Vulture in a Tuxedo Eating Bacon Cheesesticks From Papa John's !!!

Trying to imagine how different my life would have to be to grow up attending debutant balls

It was a fish out of water experience for sure. You know that movie cliché where the yokel has to take a crash course on formal dining etiquette, I was that yokel

It was a fish out of water experience for sure. You know that movie cliché where the yokel has to take a crash course on formal dining etiquette, I was that yokel
I do! I took a formal dining etiquette class/event at wake and I still use that shit

I'll toss in a Woodall classroom story here.

Back in the days when all the social science, humanities, and language departments had the their faculty offices and all classes in Tribble. Introductory Anthro class, About 30-40 students. 8:00 AM class. The class lecture/reading/discussion topic was the osteo-dento-kerato cultures, those making tools from animal bones, teeth and skins. Class is all assembled, as he was not one for being happy with late arrivals.

At the start of class he comes walking in carrying a femur from a steer that he must have gotten from a local butcher shop that morning. It was bloody, had shreds of meat hanging off the bone and marrow was oozing out the end where the butcher shop had cut it off. Ned was pretty much carrying it like you would a club you were ready to hit someone with.

A very naive young woman sitting near the front of the class raised her hand and asked very earnestly, "Is it real?"
Ned replied, very deadpan, "No honey, it's plastic."

Lecture was of necessity put on hold until students could stop laughing and get themselves back into their chairs. I believe this was the invention of ROFL.

I have no memory as to what particular point he was trying to illustrate.
That's what I love about the man, so many great stories just like that. I chatted with him last year. He agreed to join me for a WebEx recording of the pre-history of my land for my farm page.

Back