• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Asterisk

Status
Not open for further replies.
60ca54d5ac35f175f2b86b63df5907c3.jpg

Had an old leather sofa moved out of our apartment that weighed at least 150 pounds by a couple much bigger friends Saturday morning which had to be broken down to get it out of our apartment (it barely fit the first time we got it in and required five people to finagle it successfully through a door that was too small). The city website says that sofas can be taken by the trash which I was skeptical about but took their word for it. Literally within half an hour some trustee for our building emailed everyone and said the sofa won't be taken by the city and can't be outside so it needed to be moved back in. Obviously we aren't moving it back in since it's ridiculous to move so I sent an email to that effect, which was not taken well by the trustees who said it MUST be moved (even though it's not even in front of the apartment area anymore, just between the sidewalk and the road beyond where the apartment building even is).

Someone is coming to move it tomorrow and I'm just waiting for another follow up email demanding it to be moved. I think it's pretty ridiculous that after half an hour somebody already emailed about it (trustees are a bunch of 65+ year old single women with apparently nothing better to do than stare out their windows at other shit going on) and that they keep demanding its removal.

Anyone think it was inappropriate to just tell the trustees to shove it and ignore their demands since it's going to be moved? I sent them an email yesterday telling them it would be taken care of ASAP and they responded saying that wasn't good enough. So three times in two days they've razzed us about this sofa.

Just put out a 'free' craigslist ad. It'll be gone in an hour.

The sofa is trash now or we definitely would've done that - we disassembled it as much as possible to get it out to make it easier.

Philly's website says that sofas can be left out and will be taken by trash pickup and I can confirm that they did, indeed, take my old sofa.

Why do you trust the women over the city's website?

It's not so much that I trust them over the website as much as it's I don't want to keep getting emails from nosy ass neighbors being assholes so I'm trying to get rid of it ASAP.

My follow up question is if trash day is on a Thursday is it not acceptable to move large items outside on days other than Wednesday afternoon/night? I mean Saturday was when we were able to move it so we did so. The sofa wasn't going to sit in our apartment for five days when it's huge and it certainly was only going to be moved once.

Just needed to vent because I thought this was a ridiculous reaction by the trustees.

Last edited:
I have no idea what a trustee is (is is like an HOA president) but if your building has rules about trash removal, they probably also have a right to fine you if you don't comply with them.

As yes, if trash day is Thursday, you put your trash out on Wednesday evening. Have you never lived in a city before? No one wants your crap sitting on the tree lawn for 5 days.

Sure I get it for trash cans but for larger items it seems prudent to move it when you have the ability to. There's always items out on the sidewalk. Biggest issue IMO is whether the sidewalk is curtilage under jurisdiction of the trustees of the building especially since it isn't in front of the building we live in

Oh well. Lesson learned. Next time I'll coordinate people to come grab bulk items Wednesday night

Sure I get it for trash cans but for larger items it seems prudent to move it when you have the ability to. There's always items out on the sidewalk. Biggest issue IMO is whether the sidewalk is curtilage under jurisdiction of the trustees of the building especially since it isn't in front of the building we live in

curtilage, eh?

Oh well. Lesson learned. Next time I'll tell the old biddies to eff off

fixed for you. ignore them. tell them you're out of town. Tell them to fine you, then when they do, photocopy your finger and mail it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back