• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Be better than the Gap, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've ever binge watched a multi-season TV series more than once. Although I did watch the entire series of Boy Meets World in college. I happen to watch the pilot episode randomly, DVR'd the show, and then realized they were running the entire show in order. I would let 3 or 4 build up and then watch them when I was hungover. Made it all the way through MS, HS and college.

I have watched Ken Burn's the Civil War three times though.

Nevermind I take that back, I did watch Friday Night Lights twice. I introduced my crazy ex-GF to it when I lived in Texas because I couldn't believe she hadn't watched it. We finished it in like 3 weeks.

I don't think I've ever binge watched a multi-season TV series more than once. Although I did watch the entire series of Boy Meets World in college. I happen to watch the pilot episode randomly, DVR'd the show, and then realized they were running the entire show in order. I would let 3 or 4 build up and then watch them when I was hungover. Made it all the way through MS, HS and college.

I have watched Ken Burn's the Civil War three times though.

I often have this playing in the background when I'm drafting something at night. I really enjoy it.

i'm always impressed by anyone who can watch TV and work at the same time. i am incapable of multitasking effectively. My wife can draft trust agreements, watch a movie, and have a conversation with me all at the same time, but i can only do one of those things successfully.

i'm always impressed by anyone who can watch TV and work at the same time. i am incapable of multitasking effectively. My wife can draft trust agreements, watch a movie, and have a conversation with me all at the same time, but i can only do one of those things successfully.

I have to have something in the background when I work. I was shocked in law school when they let us listen to music while taking exams.

similar with me and my wife

she'll be on her phone reading an article or doing a crossword while we're watching tv or a movie and then predict things that will happen in the plot or ask incisive character questions that i wouldn't get with my full attention paid to the tv screen

kind of infuriating really

she'll be on her phone reading an article or doing a crossword while we're watching tv or a movie and then predict things that will happen in the plot or ask incisive character questions that i wouldn't get with my full attention paid to the tv screen

it's because women are faster/stronger/smarter

I think I read a study somewhere where there isn't true "multitasking" where someone is actively doing more than one thing at a time, but some people are way better at shifting their focus/gears fast enough that it seems like they are doing several things at one time.

Regardless, the result is I can can lay in bed next to my wife, draft a position paper while I post on these stupid boards with the TV on and still have the capacity to answer her stupid fucking questions about the show on TV. "Yes, honey, Mel Gibson did just totally fucking axe that dude in the head; no, babe, this is the one where Heath Ledger dies; yes, it's sad he OD'd."

I refuse to watch a tv show or movie with my wife unless she agrees to put her phone up. For some reason, the lack of focus and engagement infuriates me, especially if it's something that we are sharing together. We're working our way through Schitt's Creek right now.

I refuse to watch a tv show or movie with my wife unless she agrees to put her phone up. For some reason, the lack of focus and engagement infuriates me, especially if it's something that we are sharing together. We're working our way through Schitt's Creek right now.

it's because they start asking questions

What interests me is that I used to think people with ADD or ADHD would be really good at this multitasking thing. As I was learning more about it though, I've come to understand that most people with ADD or ADHD suffer from the inability to voluntarily shift their focus. It's like the opposite of what we're talking about. They hyper-focus on one thing for a period of time, but then, involuntarily, they get side tracked to some other thing that they hyper-focus on.

I don't have ADD or ADHD, but I really like hearing about people's experiences with it. My wife has pretty severe ADD (see above) and the number of tasks/projects that I find that are 1/6th completed or like 5/6th completed are enormous.

Pics ?

unless it's a movie she's said she wants to see if I propose a movie to my wife often times she'll look up the plot to see if she wants to see it. she deals with a lot of tough shit at her job and isn't in to movies that are sad or don't have happy endings.

it's also because you're like "hey, lets do this thing together and be into a show at the same time. that'd be fun". and then they're not so why even bother doing it together. this has happened a few times with me/wife but occasionally we do get into the same show at the same time.

any activity, really

the amount that people are on their phones in general is just nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back