• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Be better than the Gap, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a shrimp heaven now poster in my apt and maybe i should be ashamed of that but friend, i am not

this is the best podcast ad that has ever existed and/or that will ever exist

I realize that we're all on board with the following idea, but I think it merits typing out: you and I are different people.

Chat Thread: Stop consuming Joe Rogan, it's as bad as "social media"

Ive thought they’ve seemed like they’re tired of doing it for a while now

Yeah, I’ve sensed that. Think they should just move on to other projects at this point. Like building out TAZ so they can do more of those live shows post pandemic.

I know Griffin has talked a lot outside of the show about how it's a good way for them to connect regularly (especially with all 3 of them living in different states these days), so I imagine that's a large part of continuing things

but then, I think there have been a lot of really good bits over the past year, so meh

("old beef", "valentine's escape room", the naming of 2020, play along at home, to name a few)

eta: i was gonna say hand dog and face cat but APPARENTLY that was two years ago now, fuck

Last edited:
i really enjoy the movie watch segments and munch squad continues to be strong. i've been binging some other stuff lately so i also have a stack but i'll blow through them quickly once the hopper is empty. high quality week in/week out

I'm a big fan of Blank Check. Right now they're going through Robert Zemeckis and just had a 3 hour ep on BTTF. Great stuff.

Cant believe that everyone here just forgot that Joe Rogan was the competing love interest in the 2011 Kevin James romantic comedy “Zookeeper”.
a5a72cd9ecdb521d5aa4fc8f45844c9e.jpg

I'm pretty public about my disdain for Sorkin's stuff, so surprise here, but when Townie shared that one clip on the airplane from Newsroom it was just flabbergasting

Dave Anthony (from The Dollop) has a podcast that breaks down and ridicules every episode of the West Wing, called “The West Wing Thing”

I really dig Bert Kreischer's podcast.

Also Somethings Burning is probably the greatest cooking show of all time. GOAT.

I don't get the wearables thing at all

I love mine for a few reasons:
*I sit at a desk A LOT at work... From like 6:45am to 4:30pm everyday (especially now that my travel has gone to zero). So even though "steps" mean absolutely nothing, it is definitely an indicator of how inactive I've been during the day and noticing it (and quantifying it) is helpful.
*I have Bradycardia (low resting heart rate)... So my doctor likes me to keep an eye on my heartbeat for any abnormalities. Resting heart rate is between 38-44bpm... I guess the concern is any period during sleep where it may go way low or even stop. So it's good to have that data.
*I'm very competitive, and so is my family. So we've recently started (what are supposed to be) friendly step competitions, which my kids are obsessed with. So it helps to keep them active. Which, admittedly has never been a huge problem, but it's helpful. Also helps them with math and stuff (4 and 6 years old)... How many steps ahead/behind? Just reading the numbers for the 4 yo.
*The calorie burn stuff is completely inaccurate, I'm sure, but it is also pretty consistent. So that data also helps with my first point... I can see how sedentary I've been and try to at least reach a minimum type goal.
*I wake up relatively early and I can use the alarm on my watch to wake up without disturbing my wife, who sleeps another 30-45min before the kids wake up.
*I can read texts on my arm, which is helpful at home because I don't want to be on my phone all of the time around the family. I leave my phone in one room, but I can quickly read an incoming text (or see who is calling) and know if I need to respond.

Those are the main things. None of them are game changers, but they all improve the quality of my life (at least to a small degree). I've also never been a watch guy... So I don't miss that part of it.

More broadly, I just like quantifiable data in my life. It gives me comfort.

little known fact that Bradycardia was named after Tom Brady for being so cool under pressure that his heart rate never elevates

I really dig Bert Kreischer's podcast.

Also Somethings Burning is probably the greatest cooking show of all time. GOAT.

Somethings Burning is top notch. I've been listening to his 2 Bears 1 Cave & Bill Bert Podcast. I prefer him when he's cohosting or as a guest.

I tried a Samsung Galaxy watch a few years ago and hated it, it was heavy, big, and just onerous to use for anything besides telling time. I've used a fitbit watch for a long time until recently when I switched to iPhone and started wearing my wifes old apple watch. It's great - very simple to set up, intuitive, and small enough to wear I don't feel myself wearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back