• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Be better than the Gap, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb and Dumber is obviously a hilarious movie. However, does the explosive diarrhea scene add or detract from the overall humor quality of the film. Discuss.

I know that I'm opening myself up here... but Dumb and Dumber is not rewatchable. Nothing Jim Carrey did is. Same with Sandler. Even if you can look past the bigoted, sexist and homophobic rhetoric (which I can) the jokes just miss way too often. I mean it was perfect for a 13 year old me living in 1999, but 34 year old me living in 2020 is not entertained.

the "humor" in "poop jokes" is just your reaction to a threatened breakdown in meaning caused by a relaxing (or loss of) the distinction between subject and object. (defined by Kristeva as "the Abject")

shit is an intrusion of the Real into our lives. just as the trauma of witnessing a human corpse (another example of the Abject) is our own inevitable death made real, the perception of shit (and the attempt to capture that perception in humor) - as a product we create which we are normally constantly distancing ourselves from (flushing, cleaning, disposing of) disturbs our sense of identity or order when we attempt to position it as that which is fundamental to our understanding of ourselves

it is this disturbance that one might register as humor, but another might understand to be beneath (must be flushed!) one's self/identity.

Last edited:
Speaking of humor, I posed this question a while ago but never really got a good answer. I really like the show "Impractical Jokers". Does that mean I have an underdeveloped sense of humor?

I can't watch that show for more than like 5 minutes - it makes me super uncomfortable.

I know that I'm opening myself up here... but Dumb and Dumber is not rewatchable. Nothing Jim Carrey did is. Same with Sandler. Even if you can look past the bigoted, sexist and homophobic rhetoric (which I can) the jokes just miss way too often. I mean it was perfect for a 13 year old me living in 1999, but 34 year old me living in 2020 is not entertained.

Dude, C'mon.

Speaking of humor, I posed this question a while ago but never really got a good answer. I really like the show "Impractical Jokers". Does that mean I have an underdeveloped sense of humor?

Oh no, I just saw this. Broooooo, no.

The only person I know who likes that show was my buddy's terrible ex-GF. She made us watch like an hour of it once, it was so bad.

Like we're still cool, but I will think of you differently moving forward.

nothing jim carrey did is rewatchable? wtf

Truman Show
Eternal Sunshine
Liar Liar holds up, too

maybe i missed the boat on Dumb and Dumber but that clip doesn't do anything for me :/

i don't get people who love super troopers

Oh boy, I apparently do have an undeveloped sense of humor. That shit still makes me laugh.

I think Wes Anderson movies are funny, too. Am I still cool?

In other news we got a dryer repair guy over right now and seems pretty cool, about my age, put he is one chatty MFer. I gave my students a noon deadline to turn in any missing 1st quarter work, so I don't really much to do right now, so I'm rage posting in order to look busy as I stand in the kitchen.

"Dumb and Dumber isn't rewatchable" should go on the unpopular opinions thread. It's one of the best movies of the 1990's - imminently rewatchable.

gave my students three days to complete a midterm (hour and half time limit) and looks like one student didn't even start it

Oh boy, I apparently do have an undeveloped sense of humor. That shit still makes me laugh.

I think Wes Anderson movies are funny, too. Am I still cool?

i mean, my wife loves it. i think you had to have seen it the first time at a very particular age for it to have locked in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back