• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: biff brings board balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you've actually used a rotary phone and received a participation trophy.......you might be a xennial

I definitely got the tee-ball participation trophies. We were hella good at tee ball though. We probably deserved them.

There really should be an alert system when the chat threat goes classic rj. This type of entertainment shouldn't be hidden.

If Townie weren’t so obsessed with BiffTannen he could change the thread title to alert everyone that RJ was having a meltdown but nah.

I definitely got the tee-ball participation trophies. We were hella good at tee ball though. We probably deserved them.

We got them one year where our team was stacked. I think we had 3 future D1 athletes on there. League played with outs but didn’t officially keep score although we obviously beat the shit out of everyone. On our participation trophy they engraved “Undefeated Champs” on it.

One year my tee ball team was the Blue Angels which are based in my town. Their colors are blue and yellow. Our colors? Green and grey.

My anecdotal generational story. I have friends who are solidly generation X. Both supported Bernie. The wife has been stay at home and is going to the G to get a master's in education to get back into the workforce.

She told me that I wouldn't believe the political correctness and coddling that goes on in the classroom compared to the early 90s when she got her degree. She said she just wants to do the work and get her degree.

I had given my grand-nephew his first bat and glove. For a couple of weeks before his first tee ball game, that was all he would talk about. When we talked after his first "game", I asked him how it was. His response was, "It sucked." I asked why, he told it was because no one won.

He said he knew his team won but they didn't keep score. At four or five, he asked, "Why should I learn to count if no one keeps score?"

Great question!

Of course, when he was about nine, I got a semi-angry call from his mom, my niece, telling me he had refused to take a trophy for his soccer team. I asked he what place the team had come in and was told fifth. I told her "good" and to ask him why he didn't take the trophy. He told her, you shouldn't get a trophy unless you come in at least third like in the Olympics. He told her he would try harder and get a trophy the next season.

He was on a winning team the next year.

Hey, maybe being PC and coddling will turn out to be the right thing to do, and create a generation of people who are empathetic and care about creating a just society for everyone, as opposed to being in a "life's tough, get over it and just look out for yourself." Obviously, the way boomers were raised didn't work out, they're generally pretty terrible - maybe we give this a try and see how it plays out.

Hey, maybe being PC and coddling will turn out to be the right thing to do, and create a generation of people who are empathetic and care about creating a just society for everyone, as opposed to being in a "life's tough, get over it and just look out for yourself." Obviously, the way boomers were raised didn't work out, they're generally pretty terrible - maybe we give this a try and see how it plays out.

I think the answer is somewhere between complete coddling and leaving kids to their own worst instincts. Preparing kids for the world means not sugar coating the realities of life but also teaching them about empathy and respect for people and their differences.

I got suspended from a soccer camp in middle school bc I wouldn’t stop calling this one kid “gay” and just generally being a bully. My dad made me call the kid and apologize and stand in front of the camp and say it there too. He explained what it meant to properly value the words I was saying and the impact my actions had on other people. Looking back I think that was the right approach, and I wonder if someone like Knight would agree or if he’d take his kid for ice cream.

Born in 1987. Got so many participation trophies, but the worst was the participant ribbons from swim team. YMCA basketball tried the hardest to make things non-competitive.

But it’s not like any of us wanted those trophies or thought they meant anything.

One rule my parents enforced that I hated as a kid, but appreciate now, was no video games. We had some computer games, but that was pretty regulated.

Forced us to be creative. We invented so many games.

I think the answer is somewhere between complete coddling and leaving kids to their own worst instincts. Preparing kids for the world means not sugar coating the realities of life but also teaching them about empathy and respect for people and their differences.

I got suspended from a soccer camp in middle school bc I wouldn’t stop calling this one kid “gay” and just generally being a bully. My dad made me call the kid and apologize and stand in front of the camp and say it there too. He explained what it meant to properly value the words I was saying and the impact my actions had on other people. Looking back I think that was the right approach, and I wonder if someone like Knight would agree or if he’d take his kid for ice cream.

Knight would be the one calling the kid gay.

One rule my parents enforced that I hated as a kid, but appreciate now, was no video games. We had some computer games, but that was pretty regulated.

Forced us to be creative. We invented so many games.

We had no video game systems, and were only allowed to use the PC 1-2 hours a day (weekday vs weekend) unless it was for school. Similarly came up with a lot of games and spent a lot of time outside etc. I also read a shit ton of books. Once we got to HS all the rules were lifted, and I'm not sure I was a better person for it, but my schedule was also pretty packed anyway with typical HS activities. Thankfully most of my gaming was pretty social at that point (lots of Xbox + Halo with friends).

Now that I am a parent, I'm a little worried about the time I spend gaming as a form of stress relief and the example I may end up inadvertently setting for my kid. But it's a line I will try to walk v carefully.

man, when Halo got big in high school and I would go play at friends' houses I was so bad

man, when Halo got big in high school and I would go play at friends' houses I was so bad

This was me with Mario Kart on N64 all through middle school and even to this day. Also still have a major aversion to Smash Bros because my friends who owned it would just crush me. So non-competitive if it's a person familiar with the game and characters vs. someone not.

This was me with Mario Kart on N64 all through middle school and even to this day. Also still have a major aversion to Smash Bros because my friends who owned it would just crush me. So non-competitive if it's a person familiar with the game and characters vs. someone not.

Block Fort Battle Mode? We usually still get together and play once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back