• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: biff brings board balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. I make other people work hard so I can profit from the pyramid scheme of public accounting.

The top of that pyramid is a long hard climb. The hardest workers in my practice were the senior managers and new partners who most folks would think have reached that top. But they had just climbed to the base of a larger pyramid.

yeah - I actually really like my job and generally always have, but I know I'm lucky. I have been a partner for a few years now, and you're right that the stress is different, and you're just at the low end of a whole new pyramid. Still, we make a really good living so I don't mind working 50-55 hours most weeks. That's not unpleasant and I have plenty of time for good vacations, etc.

I was on a plane yesterday and randomly was seated next to a former coworker who switched to Deloitte a couple of years ago. He said he seldom works less than 70 hours/week, and while I'm sure that's a little exaggerated, he looked like shit and was very run down - AND he didn't get promoted to partner in either of the years where it was promised. I felt bad for him.

BigLaw doesn't have the same pyramid scheme feel that BigAccounting does. In most law firms, you get paid based on your personal productivity - how many hours did YOU bill clients. So I think the "bragging" about their hours becomes ingrained early; if you're going to claim more partnership units, you need to be able to tout your personal contribution to the practice. Accounting is much more of an apprenticeship model. I sell projects and make sure that they're technically correct and that we have thought of everything, but my contribution is much more in making sure that my employees are all busy doing productive and profitable work. An accounting firm where the partners are obsessed about their personal billable hours is never going to grow.

Edited to add: that's not necessarily a bad thing - if you want to make a living owning a smaller firm and pass it on to someone when you retire, that model works great. Larger public accounting firms have to grow though, in order to create opportunities for good people to become partners. Otherwise they'll just leave. In the meantime, being an owner of a small firm, you definitely need to be billable.

Last edited:
Driving a 2011 Hyundai with 151000 miles on it. Will be going to my oldest daughter when she gets her license. I benefit a little bit on the pyramid scheme action but not nearly as much as those public accounting dudes. And I can't remember the last time we owned a non salvage title car

We own three cars right now:
- Aforementioned 2006 Sequoia with 204k miles
- Wife's 2010 Mercedes C300 with 99k miles
- Kids' 2001 Toyota Avalon with 150k miles

Average age of our cars is about 14 years old. Good news is that all are paid for. I almost bought something new recently and then remembered FUCK THAT my car is fine.

was surprised to see they still make the Sequoia

those moster SUVs -- Sequoia, Suburban, Excursion, etc. -- always represent that pre-financial crash excess of the mid- to late-aughts

they're pretty ridiculous cars -- my mom had a Sequoia

was surprised to see they still make the Sequoia

those moster SUVs -- Sequoia, Suburban, Excursion, etc. -- always represent that pre-financial crash excess of the mid- to late-aughts

they're pretty ridiculous cars -- my mom had a Sequoia

Just did some #bigaccounting research last week that says if the company buys a big monster SUV for the owners, they get to write it all off right away thanks to #trump.

Basically any car weighing more than 6,000 pounds of gross vehicle weight rating (meaning estimate of vehicles with passengers and cargo) gets a full write off. promoting #merica

Last edited:
Just did some #bigaccounting research last week that says if the company buys a big monster SUV for the owners, they get to write it all off right away thanks to #trump.

From my experience it’s much tougher to justify why a construction company needs multiple Jaguars, Mercedes, and Range Rovers.

From my experience it’s much tougher to justify why a construction company needs multiple Jaguars, Mercedes, and Range Rovers.

From my experience the Pubs have gutted the IRS to the point your chances of being audited are like nothing so mine as well

But this would be like the owner of a professional service company needing Rovers and a Model X, we've been leasing them for like the past 20 years and to just buy one and keep it for 10 years would save hundreds of thousands.

Amazon Leases New Manhattan Office Space, Less Than a Year After HQ2 Pullout
Tech giant agrees to take 335,000 square feet in Hudson Yards neighborhood in deal without any financial incentives from city or state

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon...ess-than-a-year-after-hq2-pullout-11575671243

After the Journal reported on Amazon’s new lease, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D., N.Y.), a vocal critic of the HQ2 effort who represents neighborhoods near the proposed site, tweeted, “Won’t you look at that: Amazon is coming to NYC anyway - *without* requiring the public to finance shady deals, helipad handouts for Jeff Bezos, & corporate giveaways.”

well 1,500 jobs <> 15,000 jobs, but yeah that HQ2 thing really was an ego trip for bezos. Had every governmental body in the country looking to suck up. One of our clients had us work on a master plan for one of their big land parcels in Texas to submit a bid for it.

well 1,500 jobs <> 15,000 jobs, but yeah that HQ2 thing really was an ego trip for bezos. Had every governmental body in the country looking to suck up. One of our clients had us work on a master plan for one of their big land parcels in Texas to submit a bid for it.

Definitely an ego trip but also a huge data fishing expedition. Bezos now has detailed reports on like 200 cities and their operations. Kind of brilliant and probably why he is/was fine with letting AOC and the no-IDC caucus in the NY State Senate claim victory this time.

Definitely an ego trip but also a huge data fishing expedition. Bezos now has detailed reports on like 200 cities and their operations. Kind of brilliant and probably why he is/was fine with letting AOC and the no-IDC caucus in the NY State Senate claim victory this time.

Yeah. It was particularly diabolical to take advantage of how desperate municipalities are for big industry. Any mayor who didn’t participate would be skewed by voters.

Going through that whole charade was like holding a beauty pageant by asking 200 women for nudes.

None of the original jobs were guaranteed, their year 1 projection was 700. Amazon wanted a 99 year lease for no more than $31/sq ft, and was going to get two guaranteed tax credits regardless of jobs delivered if the deal went down. It was an ego trip plus Corp welfare plus as Strick says data harvesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back